Windows 10: Network drive support really is terrible!

Discus and support Network drive support really is terrible! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot get over how badly W10 handles my networked drives. I suspect there are many folks, including businesses, running with networks, these days.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ARYLIOA, Mar 6, 2016.

1. ARYLIOA Win User

Network drive support really is terrible!

I cannot get over how badly W10 handles my networked drives. I suspect there are many folks, including businesses, running with networks, these days. W10 seems to have a problem. It certainly can't handle mine. And it is pretty straight-forward, just consisting of 3 D-Link storage enclosures. (DL-323 & Dl-325)

Every time I start my computers, or they awake from sleep, the computer takes forever to connect to the network drives. To make it worse, it pops up a message each and every time, as if I didn't know it was going to take 3 to 5 minutes for the system to get completely connected. And that is with the network connected with Ethernet!

Even worse, if the computer goes to sleep with a file open in nearly any application the system loses track of where it is, and leaves the file marked as open on the network drive. That means on most applications that I lose any changes I made and can't even open the files again except by powering down the network to clear any activity flags.

But it gets even worse. I run an old copy (2009) of Microsoft Streets and Trips occasionally. If the computer goes to sleep with one of the maps I have created open, when I come back the map is completely deleted from my drives. I am getting really friendly with backup restorations. But I still lose any data changes made the day it disappears.

My only defense is to stop eating lunch and dinner or to stop my computers from sleeping. That stinks!

(see File Explorer has become a real mess - Windows 10 Forums to get an idea how much trouble that causes me with File Explorer. I believe much of that has to do with network problems as well.)

:)

ARYLIOA, Mar 6, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

When you have your Widows 7 pc My Documents moved to another drive will windows 10 find them

If there's not enough space on your hard drive, then you need a new hard drive. If you haven't shopped for one in a while, they're really inexpensive. And despite their low cost, hard drives today are very reliable.

A network drive makes things more complicated. Network drives aren't supported with the method I described. That method is only supported for local drives.

BulldogXX, Mar 6, 2016
  3. Microsoft Support is Terrible

their support is sh!t, I bought a windows key on my pc that I built. My motherboard started slowing down so I upgraded to a ryzen 1600 and they wont let me acivate the windows that I paid 120$ for. The online chat agent went into remote access and did
    the same stuff I already tried then told me I have to buy a new license and ended the session. This company deserves for people to pirate their OS.

DilonBaker, Mar 6, 2016
Thema:

Network drive support really is terrible!

1. Network drive support really is terrible! - Similar Threads - Network drive support

2. How is Microsoft really this terrible with helping unlocking accounts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How is Microsoft really this terrible with helping unlocking accounts: Hello, my name is Kenneth Olsen & i'm having problems with two of my accounts in which your automated system REFUSES to help me with. Both accounts have been compromised and locked out due to multiple log in attempts. I'm attempting to recover the first one as it's connected...
  3. How is Microsoft really this terrible with helping unlocking accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is Microsoft really this terrible with helping unlocking accounts: Hello, my name is Kenneth Olsen & i'm having problems with two of my accounts in which your automated system REFUSES to help me with. Both accounts have been compromised and locked out due to multiple log in attempts. I'm attempting to recover the first one as it's connected...
  4. How is Microsoft really this terrible with helping unlocking accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why is microsoft support so terrible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is microsoft support so terrible?: Why? Just god awful. Nobody around here seems to be able to solve a damn thing. Asking questions is nice, but damn it all if they lead to wasted time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-microsoft-support-so-terrible/d9316024-dc47-4995-af27-eb516a9e20f2
  6. Why is microsoft support so terrible?

Why is microsoft support so terrible?: Why? Just god awful. Nobody around here seems to be able to solve a damn thing. Asking questions is nice, but damn it all if they lead to wasted time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-microsoft-support-so-terrible/d9316024-dc47-4995-af27-eb516a9e20f2
  7. Microsoft support is terrible

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft support is terrible: when I purchase products from MS, I expect them to work, like the thousands of other users that post here. As you can see from all the posts, much of the time MS does nothing and dumps you onto the Community. Is anybody on the Community getting tech support pay from MS ? I...
  8. Terrible customer support

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Terrible customer support: Upon purchasing a Surface Pro 7 bundle back in May, I was disappointed to find that the tablet screen regularly turned black arbitrarily, requiring me to force restart it several times a day. Upon negotiating an exchange, one agent suggested I only return the tablet as it was...
  9. Terrible support service

Terrible support service: Unfortunately am facing a problem with Microsoft Mail app for the past 3 days , where I used to have my gmail accounts setup on , suddenly it stopped working well, I had to delete the app and reinstall again for more than 5 times, and yet I could let again add my email...
  10. Terrible terrible support.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Terrible terrible support.: I called this number Call a toll free number: (800) 642 7676 / TDD/TTY 800 892-5234 I asked "I want some answer about windows 10 IOT" She said "This is the close time right now" it's 9 PM in US of A (and I think it close 10) So I told her that it's not then she...