Windows 10: Network drives only accessible after RESTART

Discus and support Network drives only accessible after RESTART in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good day, Maybe 1 out of 10 times i have immediate access of my network drives, but in general I have to RESTART the Pc to get them to connect. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by noge, Oct 19, 2020.

1. noge Win User

Network drives only accessible after RESTART

Good day,

Maybe 1 out of 10 times i have immediate access of my network drives,
    but in general I have to RESTART the Pc to get them to connect.

I think the problem started after a windows update a few months ago, though not sure.

The pc is connected via wifi, the HD's are connected directly to my internetbox/modem

already tried to:

- restart internetbox
    - forget network & reconnect
    - toggle homesharing on/off/on
    - remap the discs

but the only thing that works is to restart

Any help would be appreciated

windows OS Build 19041.572

:)

2. Peer_Sam Win User

Unable to access Network drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • What is the version of Windows 10 installed on the computer?
    • What is the exact error message you’re getting while trying to access the network drive?
    • Are you able to access the drive using its IP address?
    I suggest to follow the steps posted by Pauli O and see if it works.

How to get network sharing work with Windows 10

Please get back to us with the information requested above, so that we can suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

If the issue persists, it would be more helpful for us to identify the root cause of the issue, if you can post the screenshot of the error message/code you are getting.

How to include a screenshot in your post

We look forward for your reply.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Oct 19, 2020
  3. little cat, Oct 19, 2020
  4. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

Thema:

1. Network drives only accessible after RESTART - Similar Threads - Network drives accessible

2. Cannot access network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access network drive: I have a Surface Go with Windows 10. I have a HDD plugged into my router and have been able to access it through Windows Explorer with no problem. Now it will not appear in Windows Explorer. I can access it with an app on my phone so I know the drive is working. I have tried...
  3. Can't access network drives

Can't access network drives: Hello, I have a very peculiar issue that in my 28 years of experience using Windows, never seen it before. I have two systems: Windows 10 Business on Surface Book 2 Windows 10 Business on VM In both systems I am logged in with the same AzureAD account. Both systems...
  4. Unable to access a network drive

Unable to access a network drive: I have a mapped network drive that I can see but cannot access. The message from " Windows Security" Enter network credentials to :HD name My Computer name Password I have entered my password from my computer. I have tried my network password neither works. I states...
  5. Mapped Network Drive Isn't Available After Restart

Mapped Network Drive Isn't Available After Restart: How do I get the NAS Network Drive Created to reappear and require password entry next time I startup My Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 version 1903? I Mapped the NAS as a network drive with "Reconnect at sign-in" unchecked and "Connect using different credentials" checked....
  6. Network becomes enabled only after restart

Network becomes enabled only after restart: Hi all, This is in continuation to After installing update, system crashes - Windows 10 Forums After one week of trying several things out, I finally I installed Windows 10 again with the option to keep all my apps and settings and am able to install updates now. But now I...
  7. Network becomes enabled only after restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Network becomes enabled only after restart: Hi all, This is in continuation to After installing update, system crashes - Windows 10 Forums After one week of trying several things out, I finally I installed Windows 10 again with the option to keep all my apps and settings and am able to install updates now. But now I...
  8. Can't access network drive

Can't access network drive: I did a clean install of 1809 on my secondary system a couple of days ago to get rid of an untraceable problem that caused WD to shut down. The WD problem was solved, but I am now unable to access a drive (E:) from other PCs. Another drive (F:) is immediately accessible on...
  9. Unable to access Network drive

Unable to access Network drive: My laptop cannot open this external hard drive, it always used to. Troubleshooting hasn't helped and a chat didn't resolve anything either. The laptop sees the hard drive on the network but says it cannot open it. Any ideas? ***Title modified from: dlink 26BCD6***...
  10. Quick Access for Network Drives

Quick Access for Network Drives: I am having problem adding folders from a network drive to the Quick Access. Firstly I can only drag and drop into the QA in explorer, as right clicking option doesn't work and it only allows one folder at a time to be included. Local folders are not a problem and any number...