Windows 10: Network file and printer sharing will not stay on

Discus and support Network file and printer sharing will not stay on in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop running Windows 10. Some time back I began to be unable to be seen by, or access, other computers on my home network. I checked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HOrndorff, Sep 19, 2018.

1. HOrndorff Win User

Network file and printer sharing will not stay on

I have a desktop running Windows 10. Some time back I began to be unable to be seen by, or access, other computers on my home network. I checked setting in control panel and found "file and printer sharing" were turn off. When I tried to turn them on, they would be back to off the next time I checked.

I did a bit of research already, so I have checked to see that all the appropriate services are running. I have tried turning off the firewall (using McAfee) but that changes nothing. I have not seen anything else out there that applied in my case. Anyone have any ideas about this?

It has become a bit frustrating. I use resilio sync to share files on the home lan as needed. But some other things require that this PC be properly connected to the home network.

:)

HOrndorff, Sep 19, 2018
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Sep 19, 2018
  3. Block File sharing in Wifi network, Windows 10

Hi Lori,

As per the description, I understand that you want to block file sharing on your Wi-Fi network. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Change the view type to Large Icons.
    • Click on Network and Sharing center.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Advanced sharing center.
    • In the right pane, under Files and printer sharing, select the option:
      Turn off file and printer sharing.
    • Restart the system and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 19, 2018
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

Thema:

1. Network file and printer sharing will not stay on - Similar Threads - Network file printer

2. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file and printer sharing not staying turned on: Asked this one a while back and did some experimenting. The File and Printer sharing keeps resetting to off after turning it on. Refuses to stay on. Tried all suggestions that I was given on here. Nothing worked so dont resugest the same things again. As a last resort I...
  3. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file and printer sharing not staying turned on: Asked this one a while back and did some experimenting. The File and Printer sharing keeps resetting to off after turning it on. Refuses to stay on. Tried all suggestions that I was given on here. Nothing worked so dont resugest the same things again. As a last resort I...
  4. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. printer on shared network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    printer on shared network: I have just updated Window 11, after updating the window, I am unable to add printer shared on network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-on-shared-network/3b1ac14f-dca7-473a-9590-663d80e24a9d
  6. Network shared printers.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network shared printers.: And so following the latest updates to Windows 21H1 networked computers are no longer able to access shared printers on the network. Can be 'seen' but cannot be connected to or used.~So just when is this major issue to be fixed?And don't come on here and tell me there is a...
  7. Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON

Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON: Hi, When I select Network Discovery and File Sharing as ON, and click 'Save Chages', here.. (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings) When I open the settings again (even immediately), the selection is back to OFF. I even did...
  8. File and Printer Sharing will not stay 'off'

File and Printer Sharing will not stay 'off': Hi Guys I have been trying to disable 'File and Printer Sharing' in my Public network profile, and even after saving changes, every time I reboot my PC the File and Printer sharing option pops back to ON. Nothing I have tried keeps in the OFF position for Guest or Public...
  9. File and Printer Sharing won’t stay “turned On”

File and Printer Sharing won’t stay “turned On”: I can no longer connect to any drives on a Windows 7 PC from a Windows 10 Laptop. It has been OK for a year but recently the connections failed. There have been no changes to either that I know of nor has any software been installed. The Win 7 permissions are “Everyone” has...
  10. Printer sharing on network

Printer sharing on network: I have a new MFC installed on a network computer but connected via USB. The printer is set up to share and I can connect and print from another desktop on a wired network. However, I can not load the printer utilities and remotely configure the MFC. The error message says the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file and printer sharing will not stay on

2. file and printer sharing wont stay checked

3. win10 giving access does not stay. goes back to just computer on file sharing

4. printer sharing will not stay on