Windows 10: Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials

Discus and support Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying so share a folder and add permissions for a user on another machine on the same network Here is was i am trying to achieve (all computers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MitchellStringer, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials

I am trying so share a folder and add permissions for a user on another machine on the same network

Here is was i am trying to achieve (all computers are running Windows 10 on the same local network):

Example,

There are 5 Computers

Drive X:\ is on one computer and has 4 folders, i want,

Computer 2 to have access to "Folder 1"

Computer 3 to have access to "Folder 1" and "Folder 2"

Computer 4 to have access to "Folder 1" and "Folder 3"

Computer 5 to have access to "Folder 1", "Folder 2", "Folder 3" and "Folder 4"

If i share these folders from Computer 1 i can only set permissions and security for local users on computer 1

Which means when i setup the shares on Computers 2-5 I use the login credentials for a user on Computer 1.

The problem is, if Computer 2 wanted access to "Folder 3" it would get it by typing the network address of the folder, i don't want this to happen.

How do I control users access to network folders in this way?

If I go to Folder Properties -> Sharing -> Advanced Sharing -> Permissions -> Add -> Locations. I only see the local machine, and cannot add permissions for users from other computers.

:)

MitchellStringer, Mar 23, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials :)

Frogger, Mar 23, 2019
  3. Network Sharing of a Folder Inside User Folder

Hi, I have three computers that I share with inside my network (as shown when opening file explorer). It works fine but every time I try to share a folder that's inside the user folder the other people on the network don't just see that folder they have
    complete access to every file inside the user folder. Anyone have a suggestion that allows people to only see that particular folder inside the user folder?

For instance C:\Users\Rich\Pictures is the folder I want to share on the network but when I share the others see the whole C:\Users not just the pictures folder.

Thanks!

Rich Rockwood, Mar 23, 2019
  4. Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials

Remotely logoff users command with credentials

Hi areebyounus,

It's hard to tell why it's not accepting your credentials, however I can suggest an alternate solution.

Download PSTools from the following website:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/d...

Unzip the files to a new folder located C:\PSTools

Then do the following:

- Open Command Prompt as administrator

- Enter: cd C:\PSTools

- Enter: psexec.exe \\<ENTER SERVER NAME HERE> cmd

- You will then be prompted for admin credentials

Once you have entered the correct credentials (remember to use DOMAIN\USERNAME, or SERVERNAME\LOCAL_USERNAME) you will have a Command Prompt session running from that particular server. You can then do the below steps to remotely log off a user:

- Enter: query session

- Note down the session ID of the user you wish to log off

- Enter: logoff # (where # is the ID number of the user above)

Hope this helps,

Nathan

NathanT_06, Mar 23, 2019
Thema:

Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials

1. Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials - Similar Threads - Network Folder Share

2. Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder: Hi, I just updated my Win 11 desktop into 23H2 and found I cannot access the NAS folder via file explorer anymore. It keeps showing the username/password is incorrect. However, I have 3 PCs at home: A laptop with WIN 11 22H2, a desktop with WIN10 and this problemed one. All...
  3. Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder: Hi, I just updated my Win 11 desktop into 23H2 and found I cannot access the NAS folder via file explorer anymore. It keeps showing the username/password is incorrect. However, I have 3 PCs at home: A laptop with WIN 11 22H2, a desktop with WIN10 and this problemed one. All...
  4. Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...

Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...: I am running into an issue where Windows is asking me to input the network credentials to a network shared folder. I have ensured that "remember credentials" has been checked on when inputting these credentials, yet every day I try to access the network share, I get a prompt...
  5. Remote User Credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote User Credentials: I have looked everywhere for this answer and cannot find it. Youtube, internet etc.Here goes.I have three PC's. Lets call them Laptop, Basement and Den. Laptop and Den are windows 11 and Basement windows 10I log into all three PC's via my Hotmail email. Also via four digits...
  6. Remote User Credentials

Remote User Credentials: I have looked everywhere for this answer and cannot find it. Youtube, internet etc.Here goes.I have three PC's. Lets call them Laptop, Basement and Den. Laptop and Den are windows 11 and Basement windows 10I log into all three PC's via my Hotmail email. Also via four digits...
  7. Sharing folders of information with remote users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing folders of information with remote users: I chair a meeting with a number of people where we have lots of reference documents which are not often referred to. I have tried OneNote, but no one seems able to connect easily and of course under lockdown I cannot go and see what the problem is, mine or theirs. I've tried...
  8. Win10 Folder Share Enter Network Credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Folder Share Enter Network Credentials: Hi, I'm having an issue with one laptop on my home network, I have 3 Win10 devices, they are all logged into using the same Microsoft account. I'm able to share folders between two of them but this one laptop always requests 'Enter Network Credentials' and it's not clear...
  9. User folder in network sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User folder in network sharing: [ATTACH] Hello, i want to ask, my network folder showing 'Users' and if i delete this folder from Computer Management > Shared Folder > Shares, will it damage the system or user? Thank you....
  10. Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials: Hi, I'm trying to understand how Win10 works with credentials for accessing shared folders. In my case I have a NAS which has a few shared folders. There are two way I can access them, one via network share (i.e. \\mynas\folder1, \\mynas\folder2) or as a network drive (i.e....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i go into a folder shared by others a screen pops up asking for credentials