Windows 10: Network Folder Sharing with and without Password

Discus and support Network Folder Sharing with and without Password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good Day, I have setup a small Private Network. I will be sharing a few folders, some of them will require username/Password wich will be created as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Parls, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Parls Win User

Network Folder Sharing with and without Password

Good Day,

I have setup a small Private Network. I will be sharing a few folders, some of them will require username/Password wich will be created as local accounts on the shared folder PC. But i would also like to share another folder with "Everyone" and require no username and password.

Can this be done? thanks..

Also is there a difference between the Security Permissions granted thru de "Security" Tab and the ones granted thru the Advanced Sharing button inside the Sharing Permissions Button? or are they independent from each other?

:)

Parls, Oct 12, 2020
  2. bakasamaz Win User

How To: Password Protect a Folder in Network?

Hi all I have a question for you all Networking Expert out there. Im running a small networking at my house. this Network consist of 3 computers : My computer, My sister's and My mom's. My computer act as a Network Harddrive, I share a lot of Files in my computer. Sometimes my sister like to pull over some files from my computer, but there are some folders where i dont like her to open. Im thinking to Password Protect a certain folders, so whenever she or my mom open those certain folders a pop up will show up asking for password (im thinking to password protect because sometimes I need to able to access those folders from either my mom's or sister's computer) Is there anyway to do this? third party Program? all computers in my network running Windows XP.

bakasamaz, Oct 12, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

There used to be a need for an extra step in some conditions** but I thought that need had disappeared [I still do the extra step routinely so I have not tested its need for several years].

** when using different Windows versions on a network that is connected by an ethernet cable directly between the two computers without any router

You used to have to
    1 Set password protected sharing On
    2 Create a local Admin account with the same name on every computer and set the same password for each of those accounts.
    3 Enter the Admin's password when first challenged [when first trying to access a shared folder across the network].
    [4 There was no further call for this password - it was a first-use-only thing.]

Perhaps this is still a useful step? Hopefully, a network buff will chip in soon.

In the meantime, you might check if you have included all the steps in Share Files and Folders Over a Network - TenForumsTutorials and that your Workgroup name is the same on all network computers.

Best of luck,
    Denis

4. Nikhar_K Win User

Sharing a folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your time and patience to work on this issue.

To know the username of your computer, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Type whoami in Command Prompt window and press Enter.
    4. You will find the username of the computer, use the username and your password to access the file from the shared folder.

However, if the above steps didn’t help, I suggest you to turn off password protected sharing and check if that helps.

To turn off password protected sharing, please follow the steps mentioned below on your laptop:

1. Press and hold Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    2. Type Control and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
    4. Click on Change advance sharing settings.
    5. Under All Networks, click on
      Turn off password protected sharing

Hope it helps.

Please reply to this post for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Network Folder Sharing with and without Password - Similar Threads - Network Folder Sharing

2. Network Sharing and Passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Sharing and Passwords: I am having a nightmare of a time trying to access shared folders on my two PC's, a Desktop and a NUC acting as a server.Windows keeps asking for Passwords, but I did a new install and I haven't even chosen a passwordI didn't do it as a local machine, I did it online using my...
  3. Network Sharing and Passwords

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Sharing and Passwords: I am having a nightmare of a time trying to access shared folders on my two PC's, a Desktop and a NUC acting as a server.Windows keeps asking for Passwords, but I did a new install and I haven't even chosen a passwordI didn't do it as a local machine, I did it online using my...
  4. Network sharing available for public folders, but not private folder. Password Protected...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network sharing available for public folders, but not private folder. Password Protected...: Hi. I have tried to get help from Microsoft regarding this issue to no avail. I have 2 microsoft laptops, both running the most updated version of windows 10. They are on the same network. They are both visible in the other file explorer. I can access the public folders...
  5. Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations

Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations: Hello ! I hope you are all well and I also hope that I can find some ideas around here: Things are as it follows: I have Desktop PC connected to a router via cable and several other laptops around the house, connected via Wifi, to the same network / same router,...
  6. Network Shared Folder

Network Shared Folder: I set permissions for a user to a network shared folder, and then mapped the network folder on her laptop. At first everything seems fine, but then one of the subfolders disappear, and later reappears. This has been going on intermittently since. Any ideas why this is...
  7. Network username and password for shared folder/drive

Network username and password for shared folder/drive: Hi, My OPPO Blu-ray player is connected to the same network as my computer. The player picks up the computer drives and displays the relevant folders Photo, Music and Video. But when I try to open any of the folders on my player, it prompts me for theusername and password. I...
  8. Shared folder password

Shared folder password: How to lock a shared folder with a password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folder-password/ab2aff5e-3696-47d4-9d67-37b948a251a6"
  9. Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

Share a folder over a home network without password prompting: I just finished putting a new PC together and now I'm trying to accomplish what I would have assumed to be a very simple task. Especially since I can't recall ever having any issues when I was on my old PC. I have a number of folders on my main PC I would like to share...
  10. Printer sharing without a password

Printer sharing without a password: I'm trying to help my sister remotely with her windows 10 desktop which has a printer connected to one of the USB ports. She wants to share this printer with a 2nd computer (also win10) on her network. So I set the printer to shared and gave it a sharing name. Then on the 2nd...