Windows 10: Network hard drive doesn't show on startup, but often does on restart

Discus and support Network hard drive doesn't show on startup, but often does on restart in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a home network with 3 desktop computers, 2 MS Surface tablets, and a network hard drive a D-Link DNS-320 with two 2 TB drives in a Raid 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OffWhite1, Jan 2, 2021.

1. OffWhite1 Win User

Network hard drive doesn't show on startup, but often does on restart

I have a home network with 3 desktop computers, 2 MS Surface tablets, and a network hard drive a D-Link DNS-320 with two 2 TB drives in a Raid 1 configuration. Since a Windows 10 upgrade sometime around early summer I think, a computer on startup will often not find the network drive or other computers. Sometimes with the two desktops in my office, connected to the same router, one will see the drive and the other will not.

Often this problem will be corrected by restarting the machine, after which it will connect to the network properly. Sometimes it takes several restarts. No matter whether the computer sees the network, I usually have a working internet connection. This work around keeps me functional, but it's frequently vexing to both my and my wife's business operations. I've made several attempts over the months to correct this to no avail and could use some help.

Is this a Windows 10 issue? current build is 19041.685 A problem with the NAS? Some cabling or router issue?

thanks

Off White

Brand X Design & Construction

:)

OffWhite1, Jan 2, 2021
  2. little cat, Jan 2, 2021
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Network hard drive doesn't show on startup, but often does on restart [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Jan 2, 2021
  4. Network hard drive doesn't show on startup, but often does on restart

Hard Drive not Showing

Hi Lori,

Thank you for posting back.

• How are you connecting the Hard drive to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the hard drive to a different computer and check if it works?

It's possible that your USB drivers are corrupt. I suggest you to try the following steps and check.

• Press Windows Key +R and type
      devmgmt.msc
      to open Device manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
      at the left bottom.
    • Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

Network hard drive doesn't show on startup, but often does on restart

1. Network hard drive doesn't show on startup, but often does on restart - Similar Threads - Network hard drive

2. Hard drive not showing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive not showing: I switched on pc after 21 days and tried to open one of folders and this popped up.”Location is not available D:\Stash is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on...
  3. New USB Drive Doesn't Show on Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New USB Drive Doesn't Show on Network: I'm running Windows 10 version 1909 on a couple of refurbished computers; a laptop and a PC. I have them connected together on a Windows Home Network. I just bought a USB hard drive which I plugged into the PC. On the PC it shows up as drive E:, (in fact, oddly, it shows up...
  4. USB hard drive doesn't show up on computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB hard drive doesn't show up on computer: So I have Windows 10 (very new to it), and I need to use some files from my hard drive. When I plug it in, it makes a 'ding' noise, which is good, but then I can't open it. I can only see it in 'Devices and Printers' but it won't open, and it doesn't show up in the Disk...
  5. Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.: Windows 10 Home 2004 version I am trying to set up file sharing between my computers on the same router. After going through every step in all documents on the subject numerous times, the best I can do on one computer is see very limited folders, no documents no pictures....
  6. Hard drive is not showing

Hard drive is not showing: I had two partition disk D and disk E but now they are not showing in this PC nor in disk management, moreover there is recovery partition, how to get back my disks, please help me out all my data was in that disks...
  7. Attached hard drive does is not displayed in my network.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Attached hard drive does is not displayed in my network.: I can't access it. It DOES, however, show that it is attached when I go to settings for Bluetooth and Other Devices. Ideas; suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/attached-hard-drive-does-is-not-displayed-in-my/be1c92d5-975e-44fd-a38e-06d52b794e12
  8. Hard Drive doesn't show up in file explorer

Hard Drive doesn't show up in file explorer: [ATTACH]My 1 TB hard drive doesn't show up in the file explorer despite me being able to see it in device manager and the defragmenter software in windows 10. I don't want to format my hard drive because it has alot of my personal files and i don't have another computer to...
  9. Network Shared Hard Drives not showing up.

Network Shared Hard Drives not showing up.: I've shared two hard drives over a network from a PC in my home in order to back up to them. Problem is, they've only worked once, and I had to reset the network to get them to appear. Ever since then they don't show up anymore when both computers are on and connected to the...
  10. Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does

in Windows 10 News
    Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does: "Free-cooled" datacenters use ambient outside air instead of air conditioning. That lets us see how environment affects system components. Biggest surprise: temperature is not the disk drive killing monster we thought. Here's what is. At last months Usenix FAST 16...