Windows 10: Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name

Discus and support Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I was working with someone on their PC and after their attempts to change their Ethernet interface name to simply "Ethernet", Windows threw an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by That Same Random Guy, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name

Hello,

I was working with someone on their PC and after their attempts to change their Ethernet interface name to simply "Ethernet", Windows threw an error stating that the name was already taken. Currently, they have it set to "Ethernet 1".

I went and checked every adapter and ran an ipconfig but failed to find such a device.

It might be worth mentioning that this PC is a laptop and doesn't come with a dedicated Ethernet port. Currently, this person utilizes a dock/hub with a port on it and connects that to their laptop via USB-C.

As you might have guessed, this laptop is fairly new and is running Windows 10. Additionally, this person has a Cisco VPN installed, which added another interface. This interface, however, doesn't have "Ethernet" as its name.

My first attempt involved having this person boot in safe-mode and remove all their network adapters.

That only seemed to reindex the interfaces but still wouldn't default to simply "Ethernet" as it is on my own machine.

Is there a reason why this wouldn't be possible

Additional Info:

Machine: YOGA 720-15IKB

If further information is needed, please ask and I will try my best to supply.

:)

That Same Random Guy, Mar 20, 2019
  2. eddward Win User

How to rename network interfaces

Hi,
    I've got a new DSL router and configured it with the same settings as previous.

I already tried and successfuly renamed Network Adapters as they were before, it is now Ethernet and Wi-Fi but it is still not enough. netsh interface show interface command still saying Ethernet 2 and Wi-Fi 2 after reboot.
    I also tried netsh interface set interface name=”Ethernet 2” newname=”Ethernet” but didn't help
    Any suggestion to fix it ?
    It's not a big deal, but still I would like to have it sorted.

Thanks

eddward, Mar 20, 2019
  3. Windows 10; Network Name

Hi,

The Registry steps follower that resolved the issue.

But could you tell us why it appears to select a network status name based on your past Wi-Fi network connections, and then applies it to your wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks.

Mason

masontseng, Mar 20, 2019
  4. eddward Win User

Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name

How to rename network interfaces

I edited entries here
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
    Description and Profile name have been changed, but this is related only for SSID afaik and it's already OK.

The thing is, network adapters are already renamed if I navigate to the Control Panel\Network Connections
    Name for WiFi adapter is already Wi-Fi (renamed from Wi-Fi 2), SSID renamed as well, Ethernet (Ethernet 2) the same.
    But as I said via netsh interface show interface there are still Wi-Fi 2 and Ethernet 2... moreover in Windows 10 Settings - Network & Internet is also still Wi-Fi 2 and Ethernet 2...
    I don't know how, but obviously names are not changed in the whole system.

eddward, Mar 20, 2019
Thema:

Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name

1. Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name - Similar Threads - Network Interface Won't

2. Is it possible to name network after network interface?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to name network after network interface?: Hello,I need to have a specific network name due to old SW. Is it possible to force Windows to name the network profile after ethernet adapter?I have multiple network adapters with different names. For example the names of the adapters are FOO_NET and BAR_NET. It would be...
  3. Is it possible to name network after network interface?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to name network after network interface?: Hello,I need to have a specific network name due to old SW. Is it possible to force Windows to name the network profile after ethernet adapter?I have multiple network adapters with different names. For example the names of the adapters are FOO_NET and BAR_NET. It would be...
  4. Is it possible to name network after network interface?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Ethernet Network Name

Ethernet Network Name: Today, on Windows 10 latest version, I connected to WiFi for the first time while connected to ethernet simultaneously. My ethernet connection took on the name of the wi-fi connection. So now, my ethernet connection has the same name as one of my wi fi networks. Still works...
  6. How to rename the Ethernet Network Name of Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to rename the Ethernet Network Name of Windows?: [ATTACH] We recently changed our router and when I connect to the Internet, it shows "Network 2" but not the name of our router. Please can anyone help me to rename the Network name. I have searched the Web and everywhere there are tutorials for the changing name for...
  7. Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names

Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names: Two of the three desktop PCs on my wired network are named Network 2, with the third PC named Network 4. I have researched and found ways to rename them, but before I do, two questions: Is there a performance or operational risk related to the duplicate Network 2's, and is...
  8. Change the Ethernet network name

Change the Ethernet network name: Good day. Is it possible to change this name? If so, what is the exact procedure? Thank sou, Stanislav [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-ethernet-network-name/08efe2b4-3ddb-4e91-8020-310374f4fa02
  9. Network Interface Won't Accept New Name

Network Interface Won't Accept New Name: Hello, I was working with someone on their PC and after their attempts to change their Ethernet interface name to simply "Ethernet", Windows threw an error stating that the name was already taken. Currently, they have it set to "Ethernet 1". I went and checked every adapter...
  10. Network Interface Won't Accept New Name

in Windows 10 Support
    Network Interface Won't Accept New Name: Hello, I was working with someone on their PC and after their attempts to change their Ethernet interface name to simply "Ethernet", Windows threw an error stating that the name was already taken. Currently, they have it set to "Ethernet 1". I went and checked every adapter...