Windows 10: Network Interface Won't Accept New Name

Discus and support Network Interface Won't Accept New Name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I was working with someone on their PC and after their attempts to change their Ethernet interface name to simply "Ethernet", Windows threw an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by That Random Guy, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Network Interface Won't Accept New Name

Hello,

I was working with someone on their PC and after their attempts to change their Ethernet interface name to simply "Ethernet", Windows threw an error stating that the name was already taken. Currently, they have it set to "Ethernet 1".

I went and checked every adapter and ran an ipconfig but failed to find such a device.

It might be worth mentioning that this PC is a laptop and doesn't come with a dedicated Ethernet port. Currently, this person utilizes a dock/hub with a port on it and connects that to their laptop via USB-C.

As you might have guessed, this laptop is fairly new and is running Windows 10. Additionally, this person has a Cisco VPN installed, which added another interface. This interface, however, doesn't have "Ethernet" as its name.

My first attempt involved having this person boot in safe-mode and remove all their network adapters.

That only seemed to reindex the interfaces but still wouldn't default to simply "Ethernet" as it is on my own machine.

Is there a reason why this wouldn't be possible?

:)

That Random Guy, Mar 13, 2019
  2. Doug399 Win User

After Windows 10 update, signin screen won`t accept my pssword.

Sign-in screen won`t take my password after Windows 10 update on a new HP laptop. I had setup a pin login but now asks for Microsoft password which I wrote down and have used before but will not accept now.

Doug991

Doug399, Mar 13, 2019
  3. eddward Win User
    How to rename network interfaces

Hi,
    I've got a new DSL router and configured it with the same settings as previous.

I already tried and successfuly renamed Network Adapters as they were before, it is now Ethernet and Wi-Fi but it is still not enough. netsh interface show interface command still saying Ethernet 2 and Wi-Fi 2 after reboot.
    I also tried netsh interface set interface name=”Ethernet 2” newname=”Ethernet” but didn't help
    Any suggestion to fix it ?
    It's not a big deal, but still I would like to have it sorted.

Thanks

eddward, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Network Interface Won't Accept New Name

after latest update my phone lost his network and won t work...several times restart by himself...also wi-fi tile won t work

after latest update my phone lost his network and won t work...several times restart by himself...also wi-fi tile won t work

radelovrić, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Network Interface Won't Accept New Name

1. Network Interface Won't Accept New Name - Similar Threads - Network Interface Won't

2. New laptop won't accept network security key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New laptop won't accept network security key: I bought a new HP laptop, windows 11. I need an internet connection to begin setup. The network shows up, it won't accept the security key. I can't get beyond the internet setup phase to even use anything, no task bar or settings access....
  3. New laptop won't accept network security key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New laptop won't accept network security key: I bought a new HP laptop, windows 11. I need an internet connection to begin setup. The network shows up, it won't accept the security key. I can't get beyond the internet setup phase to even use anything, no task bar or settings access....
  4. Is it possible to name network after network interface?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to name network after network interface?: Hello,I need to have a specific network name due to old SW. Is it possible to force Windows to name the network profile after ethernet adapter?I have multiple network adapters with different names. For example the names of the adapters are FOO_NET and BAR_NET. It would be...
  5. Is it possible to name network after network interface?

Is it possible to name network after network interface?: Hello,I need to have a specific network name due to old SW. Is it possible to force Windows to name the network profile after ethernet adapter?I have multiple network adapters with different names. For example the names of the adapters are FOO_NET and BAR_NET. It would be...
  6. Is it possible to name network after network interface?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. New Laptop Won't Accept New Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Laptop Won't Accept New Password: Greetings Forum,I bought a new laptop for my nine year old nephew, but he's had a lot of problems setting it up. It's an HP 15.6" FHD, AMD R5-5500U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 11, 15-ef2126wm. He created a password for the computer, but the very next time he tried to log on,...
  8. New Laptop Won't Accept New Password

New Laptop Won't Accept New Password: Greetings Forum,I bought a new laptop for my nine year old nephew, but he's had a lot of problems setting it up. It's an HP 15.6" FHD, AMD R5-5500U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 11, 15-ef2126wm. He created a password for the computer, but the very next time he tried to log on,...
  9. Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name: Hello, I was working with someone on their PC and after their attempts to change their Ethernet interface name to simply "Ethernet", Windows threw an error stating that the name was already taken. Currently, they have it set to "Ethernet 1". I went and checked every adapter...
  10. Network Interface Won't Accept New Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Interface Won't Accept New Name: Hello, I was working with someone on their PC and after their attempts to change their Ethernet interface name to simply "Ethernet", Windows threw an error stating that the name was already taken. Currently, they have it set to "Ethernet 1". I went and checked every adapter...