Windows 10: Network latency

Discus and support Network latency in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since upgrading to 10.0.10586 a couple of days ago, opening files from network has become extremely sluggish. Nothing on the network side has changed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sugargenius, May 28, 2016.

1. Network latency

Since upgrading to 10.0.10586 a couple of days ago, opening files from network has become extremely sluggish. Nothing on the network side has changed, same router, same switches, same NAS. Previously, this machine was on XP SP3 and everything I clicked on opened instantaneously from 1 mb xls to 2 gb mp4. Now, when I try to open something on the network it just grinds away for what feels like an eternity.

i5-3570k @4.1Ghz
    8 GB Ram
    Samsung 830
    Onboard Broadcom NIC

Any ideas?

:)

sugargenius, May 28, 2016

2. Persistent lag after changing wifi.

Your problem is due to network latency. Latency is the amount of time it take for a signal to travel end-to-end in a network. Satellite networks are notorious for their latency problems. Fibre optic networks on the other hand have very short latency. This
    means that satellites are good for downloading large files, but bad for interactive use. Fibre optic networks do not suffer from these defects.

Your satellite connection will probably deliver its advertised data rate, because the data transfer and the data acknowledgements are asynchronous. In an interactive environment, such as an on-line game, the transmission of data and the response are required
    to be almost synchronous.

Alan Russell, May 28, 2016
  3. Latency issue caused by dxgkrnl.sys and ndis.sys in Windows 10

Yes i guess latency checker is not very precise, but latency mon is.

Also i i dont know what software can i have to affect latency. I guess all software can affect latency? And from my short research isn't the drivers that are the usual suspects when it comes to drops in latency?

I have about 30+ software, like adobe, usual browsers, virtual box, vagrant, office, etc you get the gist. Don't know which one in particular should i look for.

One thing i know for sure is that the latency increases whenever i download stuff... doesnt matter if its inside a browser, torrent or windows updates.... and if i disable the network card the latency goes under 0.3ms which is perfect.

ConstantinChirila, May 28, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Network latency

That's probably not network latency. Network latency is how long the low level network packets are delayed, and there is no indication that this problem is at a low level.

More than likely, given the age of your previous system (XP) your NAS is probably likewise older which means it probably doesn't support the latest SMB protocols fully. You might look to see if your NAS has an upgrade available for it.

Mystere, May 28, 2016
  5. My system is a i5-3570k @4.1Ghz on an Asrock Z77. Not sure if that qualifies as old or not. The NAS is a Synology DS1515+ with the latest DSM.
    My NAS is running smbd 4.1.20:

Code: admin@DS1515:/$ smbd -V Version 4.1.20 Synology Build 7321, May 4 2016 11:48:34[/quote] Samba 4.1.20 was released on 9/1/15, so it's not that old.
    Samba - Release Notes Archive

sugargenius, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Network latency

1. Network latency - Similar Threads - Network latency

2. Windows Filter Platform and Network Isolation causing bad latency issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Filter Platform and Network Isolation causing bad latency issues: Hello, everyone I have been working on an issue for a couple of weeks now where users are getting like 5mn down and 30 up on speed tests. After exhaustive troubleshooting I found that the windows filtering platform is dropping symantec and zscaler loopback traffic. I found an...
  3. Windows Filter Platform and Network Isolation causing bad latency issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Filter Platform and Network Isolation causing bad latency issues: Hello, everyone I have been working on an issue for a couple of weeks now where users are getting like 5mn down and 30 up on speed tests. After exhaustive troubleshooting I found that the windows filtering platform is dropping symantec and zscaler loopback traffic. I found an...
  4. Windows Filter Platform and Network Isolation causing bad latency issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Network latency/ping randomly goes up to 977ms

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network latency/ping randomly goes up to 977ms: Randomly my ping will spike up to around 976-979 ms on Resource monitor. there doesn't seem to be any exact reason for this to happen so i'm confused.the problem can be temporarily fixed by unplugging my external wi-fi dongle Realtek 8812BU 802.11ac USB NIC or by restarting...
  6. Cause of latency problems - ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification NDIS,...

Cause of latency problems - ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification NDIS,...: Two day ago all audio had gone back to having enough clicks and pops to drive anyone crazy, weather on the HDMI Pioneer, Bluetooth or cabled speakers. Today it is perfect. Fortunately, for the first time, I have before and after capture from LatencyMon so it's easy to pick...
  7. High Latency and stuttering during network use

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    High Latency and stuttering during network use: Hey everyone, I've been having the following issue after one of the many windows updates start of 2021, I only noticed it appearing more and more around end of January. Issue: Incredibly high latency in apps, games or just windows itself. No audio cracks present yet. Mouse...
  8. Very high latency under network load.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Very high latency under network load.: Hey guys, I've had this problem since i built my computer around 4 years ago but is starting to get worse to the point its unusable. It started as a small stutter when i was using WLAN, always disappeared when i disabled the wireless card and used a wired connection....
  9. Surface Book 2 Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller driver High DPC Latency Issue...

Surface Book 2 Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller driver High DPC Latency Issue...: Hi Guys, This is not a question, but a suggestion for solving DPC latency issues. I had severe DPC latency issues on my 15" Surface Book 2 due to theMarvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller driver ndis.sys. I searched ages for a solution, but never found it....
  10. High Network Latency

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    High Network Latency: Hi, I recently encountered a problem after upgrading to the latest version of Windows 10 on my laptop HP Pavillion 14 i3. The first ping packets have abnormally high latency and then the latency suddenly drops to within normal levels, this is on a local network and I've...