Windows 10: Network Location SMB NAS unavailable from cold boot, only works after warm restart

Discus and support Network Location SMB NAS unavailable from cold boot, only works after warm restart in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After my PC updated to Win 10 ver 2004 on 2-2-2021, my NAS device has been consistently unreachable by direct run or shortcut on each morning startup.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlHolden, Feb 22, 2021.

1. AlHolden Win User

Network Location SMB NAS unavailable from cold boot, only works after warm restart

After my PC updated to Win 10 ver 2004 on 2-2-2021, my NAS device has been consistently unreachable by direct run or shortcut on each morning startup. Windows says the device is simply not there.

The "fix" has been to restart Windows entirely, at which point it works fine.

fyi restarting the Server daemon alone does not resolve the problem

The link was created under Network Locations long ago, referenced by name and mapped to the G: drive via SMB I presume. All other protocols TCP, FTP, DLNA work fine, only the NAS under Samba fails after a cold start.

Can anyone advise the correct fix for this specific problem? Various solutions are posted for other problems that come close, but they are for others Windows versions like 7 and slightly different symptoms.

That or I'm lousy at searching this site ;-]

TIA, AL

:)

AlHolden, Feb 22, 2021
  2. emelsom Win User

How to solve problems with accessing, discovering and connecting to NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10

I am experiencing difficulties with accessing, discovering and connecting to my NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10.

I have tried most of the solutions suggest on the Web, but avail, none of them worked.

• Enabling SMB v2 and restarting
    • Checking SMB v1 in Windows components is ticked on
    • Etc.
    It seems that Microsoft has broken something though their patches

If anyone can supply me with a permanent/ final fix,
    not workaround, please post it here.

emelsom, Feb 22, 2021
  3. emelsom Win User
    How to solve problems with accessing, discovering and connecting to NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10

I am experiencing difficulties with accessing, discovering and connecting to my NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10.

I have tried most of the solutions suggest on the Web, but avail, none of them worked.

• Enabling SMB v2 and restarting
    • Checking SMB v1 in Windows components is ticked on
    • Etc.
    It seems that Microsoft has broken something though their patches

If anyone can supply me with a permanent/ final fix,
    not workaround, please post it here.

emelsom, Feb 22, 2021
  4. emelsom Win User

Network Location SMB NAS unavailable from cold boot, only works after warm restart

I am hoping Microsoft themselves, is picking this question up, and taking this seriously, and will answer this urgently, as it is causing us all so much frustration.

emelsom, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Network Location SMB NAS unavailable from cold boot, only works after warm restart - Similar Threads - Network Location SMB

2. Bridged Networks and SMB on a NAS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bridged Networks and SMB on a NAS: I have a wireless connection to my router, and a wired ethernet connection to a Synology NAS. I want to bridge the two adapters, so that the NAS is visible for SMB shares on the local network and also has a route to the internet.I have been going round in circles and though...
  3. Bridged Networks and SMB on a NAS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bridged Networks and SMB on a NAS: I have a wireless connection to my router, and a wired ethernet connection to a Synology NAS. I want to bridge the two adapters, so that the NAS is visible for SMB shares on the local network and also has a route to the internet.I have been going round in circles and though...
  4. Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...: Windows 10 freezes on boot screen with rotating wait symbol. This only happens from a cold boot. It has only started this behaviour after enabling secure boot. Pressing reset on the computer case causes the machine to boot normally. Using CHKDSK finds no errors, Using SFC...
  5. Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...: Windows 10 freezes on boot screen with rotating wait symbol. This only happens from a cold boot. It has only started this behaviour after enabling secure boot. Pressing reset on the computer case causes the machine to boot normally. Using CHKDSK finds no errors, Using SFC...
  6. Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PC cold boot stops during BIOS, works on restart/warm boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC cold boot stops during BIOS, works on restart/warm boot: For the past few weeks when powering up my elderly PC it almost always stops during BIOS after displaying the CPU details (1st image). Pressing the Reboot button on the front panel it boots fine every time (2nd image). As the next line it would display is the memory check ok...
  8. Sound only works on cold boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound only works on cold boot: Hello, I have an awesome Dell laptop running the latest version of Windows 10 that I have had for a couple of years now. I have had this issue since I bought the laptop and have never been able to get the issue resolved. When I cold boot the computer, sound works fine....
  9. BSOD on only cold boots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on only cold boots: I got a custom built pc for christmas and it has been getting BSOD's since it was built and they have only been happening on cold boots, and the file that is having problems is ntoskrnl. I would love if someone could find the problem that has been going on for weeks. 39014
  10. Slow warm boot & Fast cold boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow warm boot & Fast cold boot: Hello, My Lenovo laptop is pretty fast at cold boot. It takes about 12 seconds from initial bios screen to desktop. On the other hand, warm boot is really slow. The same period takes about 51 seconds, involving a long black screen. Actually, it was similiar at...