Windows 10: Network locations for User Shell Folders breaking applications

Discus and support Network locations for User Shell Folders breaking applications in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since the April 2022 Cumulative update, our clients have hit a couple of stumbling blocks.We point several user areas to network locations My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AW_949, May 3, 2022.

1. AW_949 Win User

Network locations for User Shell Folders breaking applications

Ever since the April 2022 Cumulative update, our clients have hit a couple of stumbling blocks.We point several user areas to network locations My Documents / Favorites / Recent / Personal. We modify these via group policy using the registry entries in User Shell Folders.Symptoms are:-Internet Explorer hangs on startup Changing the registry to use the mapped drive letter rather than the UNC reference, resolves this.Outlook - Attempting to attach file using the Attach File -> Browse this computer, route, results in a dialog box saying ' Contacting path' - will stay there indefinitely u

:)

AW_949, May 3, 2022
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, May 3, 2022
  3. V.OA Win User
    could not access network location

When I execute the installation of some software (such as nodejs) in the window10 (home version) environment, during the installation process, there is a "not access network location *:\user\nodeJs\. " notice come out. Then i search for the solution on
    the website.however when i corresponding to the registry information by step,there is no problems found in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders".

V.OA, May 3, 2022
  4. rootsrat Win User

Should all This PC locations be listed in Shell?

Hi all. I love to customise my PC and I've been using programs like Rainmeter and This PC Tweaker for that. I have a slight problem with the latter and I thought maybe someone will be able to help.

This application allows you to edit This PC contents by adding or removing folders to it (i.e. Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, Music etc. + you can add your own ones). I accidentally removed all of the items from This PC, the Tweaker has an option to restore defaults, and it did:

Network locations for User Shell Folders breaking applications [​IMG]

Only some of them are shown in the actual application though. Pictures, Videos and Music are missing from the list:

I can add Shell Locations to the list using this program and I thought that the missing ones would be there (as the other ones like Documents etc.) are listed in Shell Locations:

So should the missing ones be listed there as well? (They are not!) And if so, how can I add them back? *Sad

rootsrat, May 3, 2022
Thema:

1. Network locations for User Shell Folders breaking applications - Similar Threads - Network locations User

2. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  3. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  4. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network locations for User Shell Folders breaking applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network locations for User Shell Folders breaking applications: Ever since the April 2022 Cumulative update, our clients have hit a couple of stumbling blocks.We point several user areas to network locations My Documents / Favorites / Recent / Personal. We modify these via group policy using the registry entries in User Shell...
  6. Network locations for User Shell Folders breaking applications

Network locations for User Shell Folders breaking applications: Ever since the April 2022 Cumulative update, our clients have hit a couple of stumbling blocks.We point several user areas to network locations My Documents / Favorites / Recent / Personal. We modify these via group policy using the registry entries in User Shell...
  7. File and folder sharing between multiple network location users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File and folder sharing between multiple network location users: Sadly, this thread was locked with no answer except the one both I and the OP of that thread expected to work but that didn't stopped at step 12.I have two computers discoverable on my home network as Hazel-Desktop and Hazel-Laptop. I would like full access to both devices'...
  8. File and folder sharing between multiple network location users

File and folder sharing between multiple network location users: Sadly, this thread was locked with no answer except the one both I and the OP of that thread expected to work but that didn't stopped at step 12.I have two computers discoverable on my home network as Hazel-Desktop and Hazel-Laptop. I would like full access to both devices'...
  9. Network Locations User(PowerPC)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Locations User(PowerPC): Recently I am not sure how recently under network I see a user(powerpc) with an icon that says windows media player. I have media sharing etc turned off. What is this for and how can I turn it off? submitted by /u/EnigmaticAlien [link] [comments]...
  10. User Shell Folders messed up in registry

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User Shell Folders messed up in registry: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/hivdb8cde0l51.png?width=1240&format=png&auto=webp&s=c503dc2939d44c6ebaabdd34b852f5de2022673e Originally I moved my user folders to my D: drive, to clear some space on my C: drive. Yesterday I had to reinstall Windos to fiz a problem. I...