Windows 10: Network Name Not Found-- Error when connecting to shared drives

Discus and support Network Name Not Found-- Error when connecting to shared drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, we have a file server that haas a lot of shared drives and they are mapped to the users profile via GPO, but of lately intermittently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by REZR_5150, Feb 27, 2019.

1. REZR_5150 Win User

Network Name Not Found-- Error when connecting to shared drives

Hello,

we have a file server that haas a lot of shared drives and they are mapped to the users profile via GPO,

but of lately intermittently some users report loosing access to the mapped drive, they get the error "Network Name Not Found" the Connection has not been restored.

what is strange is that after the user logs out and logs back in, the drive is mapped, this is happening to few users, that to randomly at any given time they loose the access but it comes back after some time or at times they get that error above.

Can you please help out in this matter?

:)

REZR_5150, Feb 27, 2019

2. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Feb 27, 2019
  3. RodMSC3# Win User
    Can't connect to shared network drive

Here is the answer to your questions below:

The only change that was done to the computers before the problem began was the Windows update. All of the computers now have Windows 10 Version 1803 (Build 17134.228).

I tried the Network & Sharing Center steps you suggested below. However, four out of the five computers including the host of the shared drives do not have the Power Management tab in the Configure window. They only have General, Advanced, Driver, Details,
    and Events tabs.

I was very hopeful that your suggestion about the turn off to save power setting would be the solution. What's next?

Rod

If you're able to remember, can you tell us the last changes that were done before the issue happened (Update, software installation, ETC)? What is the current exact version of your Windows 10? To check:

1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.

Meanwhile, please perform the following:

1. Go to Network and Sharing Center.
    2. At the right pane, click Change adapter settings.
    3. Right click on your connection name (WiFi name) and Properties.
    4. Click the Configure... button.
    5. Go to Power Management tab.
    6. Uncheck/disable the radio button for "Allow this device to turn off this device to save power".
    7. Restart the PC (Important)

Please feel free to get back, so we can continue.

RodMSC3#, Feb 27, 2019
  4. RodMSC3# Win User

Can't connect to shared network drive

After the last Windows 10 update (1803), our five Windows 10 Pro computers which are in a WORKGROUP local network (no domain) keep loosing their connection to two shared network drives on one of the computers. Usually by restarting their computer (sometimes
    multiple times) they can see the shared drives. Also, the following steps almost always fix the problem but again it only lasts for a day or two or sometimes a few hours.

1. Close all running programs.
    2. Click on Start Menu and then rt-click on This PC and choose Properties.
    3. Click on “Advanced System Settings” on the left side of the window.
    4. Click on Computer Name tab.
    5. Click on Network ID button.
    6. Accept the default of “This computer is part of a business network”.
    7. Click on the Next button.
    8. Change the setting to “My computer uses a network without a domain”.
    9. Accept the default workgroup name of “WORKGROUP”.
    10. Click on Next button.

11. Click on Finish button.

12. Click on OK.

13. Restart the computer.

Also restarting the computer which hosts the shared drives also doesn't seen to solve the problem for more than a few hours.

Thanks very much for any help.

RodMSC3#, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Network Name Not Found-- Error when connecting to shared drives - Similar Threads - Network Name Found

2. Can`t connect to shared network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can`t connect to shared network drive: after I updated my windows to windows 10 version 2004 I can not connect the same network drive I use to connected to before the update it says the policies or administrator of network does not allow me to connect to. INSECURE GUEST AUTH is enabled by POLICES and REGEDIT....
  3. Can't connect to work shared network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to work shared network drive: Hi guys, I'm trying to connect to the shared network drive so I can work from home, however I'm having a hard time doing so. I keep getting an error stating Windows cannot access .... Check the spelling of the name, otherwise there may be a problem with your network. This...
  4. Shared Drive connection error

Shared Drive connection error: I have a computer running Windows 10 Pro with an external hard drive connected to back up onto. I also have a laptop that I want to be able to access the external hard drive. I have shared the documents folders from each computer which I am able to access. When I share the...
  5. shared network drive

shared network drive: I am using Windows 10 version 1809 build 17763.292 and have set up my home private network. Why do I have to keep doing a network reset on my main computer in order for my notebook to be able to connect to my shared usb drive?...
  6. Network Connection to Shared Drive No Longer Working

Network Connection to Shared Drive No Longer Working: At our company we have a Windows 7 computer that has a shared drive. Everyone in the company has access to it. Last week I lost access to this shared drive. When I click on the mapped drive I get the message, "An error occurred while connecting to S: to \\server...
  7. Cannot connect to network drives - network path not found!

Cannot connect to network drives - network path not found!: This is a really infuriating problem that I just can’t get my head around! I have 2 win10 pcs and one WDigital network drive all wired together by Ethernet via an Asus AC68u. Pc 1 can read and write to the network drive and can read and write files to pc 2 pc2 can read and...
  8. Network Sharing and Connecting

Network Sharing and Connecting: I'm Not Able To Connect Other Devices In Same Wifi Network I Tried To Change My PC Settings But Still Facing Same Issue. Can Anyone Suggest Me what I Should Do To Solve This Problem So I Can See Other Device Data and To Use Printer As Well....
  9. Sharing network connection

Sharing network connection: Hello, I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home...
  10. How to connect to Shared Network drive when not on the network?

How to connect to Shared Network drive when not on the network?: How do I connect to a shared network drive I have setup on my Windows 2012 R2 standard server at home, from my Windows 10 pro laptop is at work? Do I have to setup a vpn on windows 2012 server and connect to it from my laptop? Someone told me something about doing it that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shared name not found in server