Windows 10: Network names are diffent?

Discus and support Network names are diffent? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Low hours pilot here. I'm going to try another dozen things but does the differing "network" names point to something immediately apparent to you pros?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by fatkatie, Dec 15, 2018.

1. fatkatie Win User

Network names are diffent?

Low hours pilot here. I'm going to try another dozen things but does the differing "network" names point to something immediately apparent to you pros?

I'm going thru a book titled "Using Windows 10 as a Server at Home or in a Small Business". I'm using it and other resources for my intro into networking. I'm hacking.

I have two W10Pro64 boxes: S1 and S2. They both are cabled (recently) to my Xfinity router (model TG1682G). A third box, my W7Pro64 is also connected (and has been for a year). All can get to the internet.

In explorer "Network" (as seen on each box - after more than 20 mins on the network and multiple refreshes):
    S1: can see S1, S2 and my W7 boxes (Network Internet Access icon via desktop shows "Network 2" connected)
    S2: can see ONLY W7 (Network Internet Access icon via desktop shows "Network" connected and a large list of wifi connections available)
    W7: can see ONLY W7 (I don't care right now about W7's sense of things. I concerned with S1 and S2.)

I've set the following in both S1 and S2. Login accounts are local. Each local account has admin
    privileges. Both S1 and S2 have been rebooted multiple times.

Private
    Network discovery ON
    Automatic setup of network connected devices ON
    File and printer sharing ON

The seems to be something going on with the network names?

On S1
    MenuPath ->Settings ->Network & Internet ->Ethernet:
    Line 1: Ethernet
    Line 2: Ethernet
    Line 3: Network connected

On S2
    Line 1: Ethernet
    Line 2: Ethernet
    Line 3: Network 2 connected

Note one says Network, and one says Network 2 (as is shown in Network Internet Access icon listing) . Is this is an indication of a problem?

At one time I did an ipconfig dump on both. I see the masks are identical and IP address correctly
    configured.

s1
    Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.mn.comcast.net
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:444:480:790e:e5ca:2fbd:583d:5104
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601:444:480:790e:7847:adfb:7781:491d
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e5ca:2fbd:583d:5104%9
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.135
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::faa0:97ff:fe6c:a963%9
    s2
    Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.mn.comcast.net
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:444:480:790e::467e
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:444:480:790e:9c60:933:f233:f4d5
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601:444:480:790e:60c5:2adc:60e9:fcd4
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9c60:933:f233:f4d5%11
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.113
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::faa0:97ff:fe6c:a963%11

I don't know why they are not talking. Any ideas? Thank you.

:)

fatkatie, Dec 15, 2018

2. Windows 10; Network Name

Hi,

The Registry steps follower that resolved the issue.

But could you tell us why it appears to select a network status name based on your past Wi-Fi network connections, and then applies it to your wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks.

Mason

masontseng, Dec 15, 2018
  3. Windows 10; Network Name

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the late response.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if you are able to change the network name:

1. Press the
    Windows + R keys and type
    secpol.msc, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by
    UAC, then click/tap on Yes.

3. In the left pane of Local Security Policy, click on
    Network List Manager Policies.

4. In the right pane of
    Network List Manager Policies, double click on your current network name.

5. In Network Properties, select
    Name and type the name you prefer.

6. When finished, you can now close Local Security Policy.

7. Restart the computer.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Dec 15, 2018
  4. Network names are diffent?

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

Network names are diffent?

1. Network names are diffent? - Similar Threads - Network names are

2. Change network name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change network name: Change network name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f3291063-71dc-458f-ac00-680975aa336f
  3. Network Name Issue

Network Name Issue: I named my home network and it has been working fine for years. Now, all of a sudden, the network shows no name at all, but my wifi devices are connected to the correct network by name. What's going on?...
  4. Diffent sized monitors and the different sizes of the screens

in Windows 10 Customization
    Diffent sized monitors and the different sizes of the screens: I have a 3440x1440 and 1920x1080 dual monitor setup and as shown in the picture have a big size difference of what's displayed on the screens, I have tried changing the magnification but it didn't make a difference. Any help would be appreciated :...
  5. Network 'names'

Network 'names': Until recently I could select which network to connect to, including an external device that only uses wifi and does not need internet. Now, instead of names for the networks, downstairs, upstairs, mydevice, etc., it shows Connected to local area 2, or 3, etc. I need those...
  6. Network Names

Network Names: Hallo folks! I have four internet channels.. 2 wifi, and 2 ethernet. Now, when I install the two wifi channels I have sometimes back a wifi24000 and another wifi5000. These names works perfect, but regarding the Ethernet connections, my computer is connecting to the...
  7. Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names

Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names: Two of the three desktop PCs on my wired network are named Network 2, with the third PC named Network 4. I have researched and found ways to rename them, but before I do, two questions: Is there a performance or operational risk related to the duplicate Network 2's, and is...
  8. network name and/or password

network name and/or password: How do I change network name and/or password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-name-andor-password/f2345320-4ba5-437d-9a21-e027dfa28544
  9. Network Name

Network Name: In Windows 10, how do I change the Network Name of my Local Area Connection? Do NOT suggest I run secpol.msc, because the Windows Run command says it can't find secpol.msc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-name/7dece558-e1ec-4da0-8079-2370ba305189
  10. network setup name

network setup name: when I set up my network I didn't get to name it. how do I change it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-setup-name/c7db09b8-f504-42e2-b527-7d27b4d04578