Windows 10: Network not showing computers and Credintial manager not working

Discus and support Network not showing computers and Credintial manager not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows Network does not show computers, but I have a batch file that will load them and log in. I have used Credential Manager to set up accounts and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rdwray, Jan 29, 2016.

1. rdwray Win User

Network not showing computers and Credintial manager not working

Windows Network does not show computers, but I have a batch file that will load them and log in. I have used Credential Manager to set up accounts and if I try to log into a computer from "Run", it still requests a password. Both these issues are working on Windows 8 with no problem; I have four computers set up as Network Locations with one being XP. The problem computer is a tablet running 10 which I can reach with the other three.

:)

rdwray, Jan 29, 2016
  2. wiloPete Win User

windows 10 not showing computers on network

Some 4 months since 1st post in this 'discussion'. I gave up on this issue some time ago (you can read about my earlier trials and tribulations in previous posts) and set up dual-boots with Linux so that I could get some work done. I have been keeping an
    eye out here, though, and occasionally going back to good ol' Windoze 10 to see it anything had been fixed.

I recently built myself a new desktop machine (AMD Ryzen based) and installed a fresh copy of W10 Pro 64. It KINDA worked (it could see the network in File Explorer, but another machine (W10 Home 64 could not). - up until the arrival of KB4034674 (OS Build
    15063.540).

I had an hour or so to kill, so I went looking to see if any headway had been made out there in internet land, because Microsoft either don't care or are incapable of fixing up their own massive smelly messes. I found a plethora of forums websites etc discussing
    this very issue (along with a slew of others arising since Microsoft helpfully rolled out the laughable entitled 'Creator' update.

A fair few highly-qualified tech folk have been very loudly insisting to Microsoft for some months that it is a 'Master Browser' issue. From what I understand, there is (since either the 'Anniversary' or 'Creator' update) an issue when W10 machines on a
    network try to work out which machine is 'lord of the domain' - which computer will be responsible for managing some network stuff.

One workaround suggested was to get a NAS (if present) declare itself to be the master browser. (i.e let a different OS work out the Windows problem). Another was to plug in a USB drive to the router (if the router has a USB port - not all business-based
    routers do). This, from what I understand, has the effect of making the router-based USB drive 'lord of the domain' (and I DO NOT mean domain as opposed to workgroup- I use it in the Seinfeld sense!).

I have an ASUS router with a USB port and a USB drive. I connected them up, turned off ALL machines (including router, modem, Android devices etc), waited 5 minutes, then turned things back on (starting with the modem, then the router, then my main desktop,
    logging in to it, then going on to each machine and logging in before moving on to the next machine.)

The result is that all machines can now browse the network as they should, without having to resort to typing in IP addresses etc. The USB drive attached to the router is there, showing as a network drive.

This WORKAROUND will probably work until the next Microsoft 'update'. I'm keeping my dual-boots in place for the foreseeable future, I'm thinking. Why do Microsft INSIST on stuffing things up all the time? Don't get me started on the recent changes to the
    Group Policy Editor settings to W10 Pro - now the radio station I do Tech stuff for is being forced to move from the current 10 Pro installs to Enterprise installs in order to 'tie down' the machines announcers use (and sometimes attempt to abuse!)

wiloPete, Jan 29, 2016
  3. wiloPete Win User
    windows 10 not showing computers on network

Things I have learnt from this update experience:

1. Getting Microsoft 'Technical Support' to call you back once you have a 'service request' number and quote it is a hit and miss affair: after being 'escalated' to 'Level 2' technical support, the bloke that seemed to have been assigned to my case loved
    to tell me he'd ring back at a particular time and then either ring 2 hours before he was meant to and expect me to rush back to my setup (30Kms away) so he could remote in, or not bother to ring back at all. He even muttered about taking it to 'level 3'.
    Other 'representatives' told me that there was no 'level 3'.

2. The culmination of yet another pointless phone conversation (this one 2 hours late) was that I appear to have the following options as to how to resolve the issue (according to the 'expert' I was speaking to):

(a) Keep rebuilding my workgroup on a regular basis until Microsoft may or may not develop a fix (at least half an hour every morning renaming workgroup on each device, rebooting, waiting for NASs etc to reboot); or

(b). Do a clean install of Windows 7 (because even though everything was fine before the Creator update was FORCED on me, reverting to the previous build (as performed by the 'expert' remotely) did not resolve the issue, so MAYBE going back to Windows 7
    would fix things (???)

3. No-one from Microsoft reads stuff written here. Microsoft do not care about you individually, to them, you are just unwilling test-beds for their work-in-progress operating system, at least on any platform unless you have the 'enterprise' version.

I think I'll probably have to research dual-boot Linux... I used to do that some years ago, I wonder how much Linux has evolved since I last used it? Thanks for nothing, Microsoft!

wiloPete, Jan 29, 2016
Thema:

Network not showing computers and Credintial manager not working

1. Network not showing computers and Credintial manager not working - Similar Threads - Network showing computers

2. Computer will not show available networks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer will not show available networks: I’ve looked everywhere and done everything and still cannot find a fix for this. When i hit the “no wifi” logo, literally nothing but a bar that says Network and internet settings shows up. When i go there the troubleshooters are useless, and when i click on show available...
  3. Task manager not showing network usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task manager not showing network usage.: [ATTACH] This started a couple months ago and i tried to fix it by going on google and searching the problem, but none of the stuff i tried worked. So i assumed it was just a big and it would be fixed in an update and, well, that didnt happen. i have a Ryzen 5 3600 GTX...
  4. Network card not showing in device manager.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network card not showing in device manager.: I recently installed a new network adapter and ever since then I’ve been having issues. Sometimes it shows up in device manager and sometimes it isn’t there. I haven’t been able to access the internet on my pc. I’ve tried everything. Reinstalling drivers, performing a network...
  5. Network shows on PC "Manage Known Networks" but not on Available Networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network shows on PC "Manage Known Networks" but not on Available Networks: Several PCs use the network OK, and the problem PC is only 2 metres from the Router. It shows lots of other networks, but not the one which it should show, as used by the other PCs and showing in "Manage Known Networks" . I put it there anually. Trouble shooter does not help....
  6. Task Manager showing 0% network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Manager showing 0% network: Hello, I have purchased a new Laptop MSI and have noticed that the task manager always displays the percentage of network as 0% and all programs as utilising no internet. This is not true at all as i have played online games and done many many downloads in the past couple...
  7. Network Computers not showing under network

Network Computers not showing under network: So, I checked, and the appropriate services are running under services.msc. We use windows server which I have access to but the local machine I do not have the admin password for. I can access the server one, but not the locals. I am trying to find a way to remote access...
  8. Computers not showing in network

Computers not showing in network: I'm so very annoyed, I've been having this issue for many years now. I've sought help for many years now with no real fix. I go to File Explorer and Network and even though there is 3 computers all connected to the same router, all marked as private with sharing turned...
  9. Computer not showing in network

Computer not showing in network: Last week I upgraded my Acer laptop to version 1803. I went well. Today I decided to upgrade my Dell desktop and it did go quite as well. On the laptop I can can see the Dell desktop in Network along with itself and one other 1709 macine as well as printers on the network....
  10. "show available networks" & "manage known networks" disappeared

"show available networks" & "manage known networks" disappeared: hi! all, under "wireless network connection" settings, there are "show available networks" & "manage known networks" options that can be clicked. however, when I tried to click on either option, nothing happens. if I tried to click on the wifi icon on lower right hand...