Windows 10: Network Permissions

Discus and support Network Permissions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Due to some change, I am no longer able to access files on my local network client. I get the error message, "Windows cannot access" \\*Laptop\*file.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jerry-S, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Jerry-S Win User

Network Permissions

Due to some change, I am no longer able to access files on my local network client. I get the error message, "Windows cannot access" \\*Laptop\*file. "You do not have persmission to access \\*Laptop\*file. Contact your network administrator to request access." How do I regain the ability to access the files on my Laptop from my desktop computer?

:)

Jerry-S, Mar 5, 2019
  2. Gino Des Win User

Permission to access network

Hi Kristen,

You might be experiencing this issue because you lost permission to access the network resource or shortcut after upgrading your computer. To better assist you with this problem, we would like to know the following information.

• Are you using the shortcut to access a file or folder located on another computer in the network?
    • Is the file or folder located on the computer that you recently upgraded?
    • What is the exact error message that you received when accessing the shortcut?
    • Are you using a homegroup to share files between devices on your local network?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, let's run the Network troubleshooter. This troubleshooter finds and fixes common connection problems. Here's how:

• Click Start.
    • Start typing Network problems, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems
      in the results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Mar 5, 2019
  3. oily_17 Win User
    Home network

Did you try this

Just a stab in the dark really...

oily_17, Mar 5, 2019
  4. Network Permissions

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

Network Permissions

1. Network Permissions - Similar Threads - Network Permissions

2. You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator to...: I know this question has already been asked here, but no solution in that thread helped.In fact, here is a comprehensive list of all the forum posts I have gone through and attempted every fix in, without...
  3. You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator to...: I know this question has already been asked here, but no solution in that thread helped.In fact, here is a comprehensive list of all the forum posts I have gone through and attempted every fix in, without...
  4. You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I troubleshoot access permission errors to network shares on Windows 10 Pro PC

How can I troubleshoot access permission errors to network shares on Windows 10 Pro PC: I have 3 PCs networked, all part of a single workgroup. 2 are Windows 10 Pro let’s refer to them 10-A and 10- B, one is Windows 7 7-C . 10-A displays all three PC’s in the Network, however when trying to access the network shares on 10-B and 7-C, I get a permissions error...
  6. How can I troubleshoot access permission errors to network shares on Windows 10 Pro PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I troubleshoot access permission errors to network shares on Windows 10 Pro PC: I have 3 PCs networked, all part of a single workgroup. 2 are Windows 10 Pro let’s refer to them 10-A and 10- B, one is Windows 7 7-C . 10-A displays all three PC’s in the Network, however when trying to access the network shares on 10-B and 7-C, I get a permissions error...
  7. How can I troubleshoot access permission errors to network shares on Windows 10 Pro PC

8. Loss of access permission to external drives on network

Loss of access permission to external drives on network: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 on both laptops I have two laptops at home. One of them has two external portable drives connected and I've had sharing setup for both the drives for several months along with two folders on the laptop. I've been able to access them all from the other...
  9. Loss of access permission to external drives on network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loss of access permission to external drives on network: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 on both laptops I have two laptops at home. One of them has two external portable drives connected and I've had sharing setup for both the drives for several months along with two folders on the laptop. I've been able to access them all from the other...
  10. Loss of access permission to external drives on network