Windows 10: Network printing via local port broken after W10 update

Discus and support Network printing via local port broken after W10 update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Due to several factors, some of our systems must print to shared printers via a local port pointing at the network shared printer. After a machine that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ShowScene5, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Network printing via local port broken after W10 update

Due to several factors, some of our systems must print to shared printers via a local port pointing at the network shared printer. After a machine that is hosting a shared printer installs Feature Update to Windows 10. Version 2004 - this no longer works.

Previously after a major update (one that replaces the windows folder), I'd have to set some permissions on the spooler folder, and turn off password protected sharing. But after this update, the machine with the printer share is unable to print when the job comes via the above method. Works fine if printed as a traditional shared printer.

What does happen is the receiving spooler gets the print job but does not print. The sending spooler shows an error on the print job, but then retries the print job over and over and then a never-ending quantity of duplicate print jobs are created on the receiving print spooler and the sending spooler queue shows just the one job.

I turned off bi-directional support on both systems. no effect.

Both systems have the same OS build (19041.685) and experience pack (120.2212.551.0)

The issue appears to be on the receiving machines as no matter what OS, whether updated or not, a print job is sent as a local port, the results on the receiving PC are identical. This occurs in the same way on every W10 machine that installs this update.

Additionally it will happen on any printer that is shared on an affected system regardless of make, model, or driver version.

Any ideas?

submitted by /u/ShowScene5
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ShowScene5, Dec 28, 2020

2. Unable to print to a network printer when connected to both wireless and wired networks

Hi Eileen,

• As far as i'm aware nothing has changed
    • i have only tried to send test pages to the network printer so im assuming so yes
    • wireless printer works fine when connected to both networks. However the wifi doesn't connect auto when an Ethernet connection is established this has to be manually connected.
    I have tried the following:

• updated the print driver
    • changed the network port it was plugged into
    • ran windows updates
    • configured with a static
    • changed the wifi and Ethernet priority
    I will run through the trouble shoot steps as suggest and come back to you.

FYI - he has a number of extenders dotted around, a collegue mentioned it could be a subnet issue?

thanks, Ben

BenDavies12333, Dec 28, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Network Printing Not Working

hi there
    @sigsky

do it like this :

Stand alone" Network printers can be done slightly similarly BTW see 4) and 5) ).

Note the computers can be anything - don't have to be XP / W7 - this is just an example when you have an X-86 and an x-64 machine sharing a printer attached to either machine. For a network stand alone printer use the same method but see steps 4 and 5 where you need to use a tcpip port and an ip address of the printer and can skip step 1.

assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.

1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called SHAREDPRINTER.

2) On the Network Browsing on your W7 machine ensure you can "See" the Printer share.

Now on the W7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's X-86 or x-64).

3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the W7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.

4) Create NEW port==>Local port

5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

6) Now W7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.

Simple

(For a "Network stand alone printer")

at 4) chose TCPIP port
    and
    at 5) enter the IP address.

If the printer is on the W7 machine and you want to print on the XP machine then do the same instructions on the XP machine --
    port name in this case will be \\W7MACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

Note for your case read steps 4 and 5 for stand alone network printer.

for other cases replace names of XP and W7 machines with the machines you want to share printers with in the case of a printer being physically attached to a particular machine -- do the same action on all machines you want the printer to be available to.

For network connected printers also do the same on each machine in the network you need to access the printer on.

This method is simple --always works !!! why Ms makes such a meal out of anything to do with networking is really beyond me.

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Adam1949 Win User

Network printing via local port broken after W10 update

Windows 10 and parallel port (LPT) printer doesn't print

**** Again,

Just to update you all, I Shut down and rebooted a couple of times

and my ports are still working,

I opened the Device Manager (From Control Panel) and I was not

able to find the LPT Ports listed. but I noticed they have Print queues listed

I guess that the LPT Ports has been renamed, I was able to see my printers

listed there and you will be able to Right Click on your printer and Select "Properties"

and you will see the details of your printer.

The printers are listed regardless of the PORT

The printer port seems to be a Print Que "Local Print Queue" also called "Root Print Que"

Regards

Adam1949, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

Network printing via local port broken after W10 update

1. Network printing via local port broken after W10 update - Similar Threads - Network printing via

2. After installing KB5006670 my network printing was broken again this month.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After installing KB5006670 my network printing was broken again this month.: After installing KB5006670 my network printing was broken again this month. Uninstalled kb5006670 from the client computer non Print server and that fixed it for printing from that machine. What can I do to fix this with kb5006670 reinstalled? I have blocked updates on this...
  3. Network printing via local port broken after W10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network printing via local port broken after W10 update: Due to several factors, some of our systems must print to shared printers via a local port pointing at the network shared printer. After a machine that is hosting a shared printer installs Feature Update to Windows 10. Version 2004 - this no longer works. Previously after...
  4. 'porting' W10 (via W7) to new desktop PC....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    'porting' W10 (via W7) to new desktop PC....: Hello everyone. Sadly, my venerable 8 year old PC has died. I'd like to install Windows 10 on my new PC, but I understand that moving W10 isn't as easy as that (I think!) The original installation of W10 on my old machine was performed as an upgrade from a genuine...
  5. Network Reset after W10 Updates!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Reset after W10 Updates!: I've posted this issue in the past (this has been a problem for years) but maybe there has been a better way to resolve developed since then? Every #$%ing time W10 does one of its Cumm Updates I have to go into each computer and "Reset Network" in order to get that computer...
  6. Broken local network connection after v2004 update

Broken local network connection after v2004 update: Hi I have been using four systems on a home network for several years. It consists of a Windows 10 Enterprise PC; a Windows 10 Professional PC, and a dual boot PC with both systems also Windows 10 Professional. All are 64-bit and all have been updated to the latest v2004...
  7. Local disk search broken after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Local disk search broken after update: After the latest update, when you search from the explorer window it does not find anything from local disk. What is funny, for my mounted onedrive disk (and downloade offline files) the search works as intended. No changes in the indexing and search options comparing with...
  8. Network broken (AGAIN !) after latest updates

Network broken (AGAIN !) after latest updates: Hi there I can't figure out what's broken this time again with networking I can't connect to NAS (Linux) server any more -- refuses to accept password even though it's correct. Connect works perfectly on W7 and also FROM the NAS TO Windows 10. Anyway here's the result of...
  9. Updates via Local Network

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates via Local Network: Hello I have (4) computers, I want to update only (01) PC via internet and the other via Local network with the option of Windows update . But it seems don't work with me ! I think I didn't build a well local network , The (3) PCs are connected to the router that's all,...
  10. W10 icons broken after Creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 icons broken after Creators update: I did the Creators update to W10 today, but now the icons on the desktop are goofed up – they cannot be positioned near the edges, and if you try to move them there, they jump into the screen instead about 2”. And on the bottom, they can’t be placed more than about ¼” from...