Windows 10: Network problem - Can connect to Internet browsers but not to other Apps/programs

Discus and support Network problem - Can connect to Internet browsers but not to other Apps/programs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, To briefly summarise, I seem to be able to connect to the internet via browsers Chrome/firefox, but not on other platforms/apps, for example... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SeanMorgan94, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Network problem - Can connect to Internet browsers but not to other Apps/programs

Hello,

To briefly summarise, I seem to be able to connect to the internet via browsers Chrome/firefox, but not on other platforms/apps, for example Outlook app, Spotify, Steam etc...

This seems absolutely bizarre, considering the problem is usually with the browsers! And I cannot find any FAQ on this issue.

I have been having terrible problems with the internet today and it kept going on and off. I've tried resetting the router, resetting the network adapter, troubleshooting more times than I could count and recently did a Network Reset. This caused even more problems, however I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and clicked the option to delete software from system and am back to square one. Interestingly, when I open up my Nord VPN app and connect with that, suddenly everything returns to normal! I have checked the killswitch and have made sure that it doesn't affect the internet when Nord is not running, so it can't be that issue.

I cannot for the life of me figure this out and have gone through all sorts of different instructions from help websites and what not. Usually I would find the answer for technical problems in forums but I cannot find this specific problem anywhere else unless someone can redirect me. Otherwise, I would be grateful if someone could please help me here.

Thanks.

:)

SeanMorgan94, Apr 7, 2021

2. Laptop apps (Settings, Etc) say not connected to network or internet but browser connects to home network and internet

Thanks for the response, Greg.

I re-registered apps per your suggestion.

Didn't fix problem.

The problem seems related to built-in system apps --I.E Settings, Network and Internet Settings, Windows Updates, List of available wifi networks, etc.

None of those apps recognize my connection to LAN network and internet connection.

However, the list of available wifi networks does show I'm connected to my home wifi connection, but says no internet connection.

I can't perform any Settings functions or anything which requires internet connection because the built-in app thinks it's not connected to internet.

But, my Firefox browser has full internet and LAN connection and abilities.

I appreciate any thing you can recommend.

Also note I keep getting a "notification" that my Microsoft account needs attention. It directs me to Shared Experiences" to fix the problem. I try to fix from there but it fails due to "No internet connection"

I have checked my Microsoft account via browser access and finf no highlighted problem in my account.

Regards,

Richard

RichardM881, Apr 7, 2021
  3. Laptop apps (Settings, Etc) say not connected to network or internet but browser connects to home network and internet

Asus laptop-Windows 10.

Laptop Win 10 built-in apps (Settings, Etc) say not connected to wifi network or internet.

But browser connects to home wifi network and internet, surfs with no problems.

Tried many fixes-->>reloaded win 10, reset PC, ran win 10 troubleshooters for net , internet connections and network adapters, checked all settings, etc, etc.

Same problem exits with ethernet connection.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

RichardM881, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Network problem - Can connect to Internet browsers but not to other Apps/programs

Set Broadband Internet Connection Network Configuration

Hi,

Upon analyzing the details you have provided, kindly run the
    Network and Internet Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter,
    follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Choose
      Network and Internet.

• Run the following
      Troubleshooter:

• Internet Connections.

• Network Adapter.

• Incoming Connections.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try to
    renew
    your
    IP address. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• Ipconfig/release
        and hit
        Enter.

• Ipconfig/renew
        and hit
        Enter.

• Exit.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

Network problem - Can connect to Internet browsers but not to other Apps/programs

1. Network problem - Can connect to Internet browsers but not to other Apps/programs - Similar Threads - Network problem connect

2. Some apps can access the internet, but others say there is no network when I am connected...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some apps can access the internet, but others say there is no network when I am connected...: I can access the internet on chrome, but when I try to sign in to onedrive and outlook it says no network connection. Also discord can't find a network. I think it might be a firewall issue because I reset that, but I tried with it off and it didn't work.I have tried...
  3. Some apps can access the internet, but others say there is no network when I am connected...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some apps can access the internet, but others say there is no network when I am connected...: I can access the internet on chrome, but when I try to sign in to onedrive and outlook it says no network connection. Also discord can't find a network. I think it might be a firewall issue because I reset that, but I tried with it off and it didn't work.I have tried...
  4. Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.: This issue is driving me up the wall.A number of unrelated programs on my PC have little or no internet connectivity, while others are absolutely fine.- This issue seems to have appeared out of nowhere, I haven't changed any settings recently on my PC.- My browsers, Chrome...
  5. Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.: This issue is driving me up the wall.A number of unrelated programs on my PC have little or no internet connectivity, while others are absolutely fine.- This issue seems to have appeared out of nowhere, I haven't changed any settings recently on my PC.- My browsers, Chrome...
  6. Some programs are connecting to the internet and not others.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Laptop apps Settings, Etc say not connected to network or internet but browser connects to...

Laptop apps Settings, Etc say not connected to network or internet but browser connects to...: Asus laptop-Windows 10. Laptop Win 10 built-in apps Settings, Etc say not connected to wifi network or internet. But browser connects to home wifi network and internet, surfs with no problems. Tried many fixes-->>reloaded win 10, reset PC, ran win 10 troubleshooters for...
  8. Programs not connected to the Internet, but browsers work fine

Programs not connected to the Internet, but browsers work fine: Hello, for some reason my programs are not able to connect to the Internet. My Spotify says it is Offline, my Steam says it has no connection, as well as my other programs. I am currently using Chrome, but my Microsoft Edge also works perfectly fine. I do not have an...
  9. Several programs cannot connect to the Internet, but others can

Several programs cannot connect to the Internet, but others can: I have been using Windows 10 since they released the preview and have had relatively few problems. I recently updated to build 10041 and noticed that I have two specific program that seem to not be able to connect to the Internet. The two programs are the Curse client (for...
  10. "Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can.

"Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can.: I recently had an odd Trojan horse and, while it seems to have been sorted, some damage has been done in it's wake. For some reason I cannot use any Metro apps. Windows Store says there is no internet connection, Cortana says it cannot connect, Edge closes as soon as it is...