Windows 10: network problem can only share one way

Discus and support network problem can only share one way in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i have here 2 pcs one is a laptop other is a desktop for both the laptop and the desktop i have set a few folders to be shared in file explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobertLloyd2, Nov 26, 2018.

1. network problem can only share one way

i have here 2 pcs one is a laptop other is a desktop

for both the laptop and the desktop i have set a few folders to be shared

in file explorer networks
    from the desktop, i can see and browse and transfer files to and from the laptop (with the given permissions)

but i desktop cannot see itself in network

this would show me that im not a complete fool and assuming settings are the same on both machines it should be working

from the laptop it can see itself in network but again not the desktop (however both do appear in the media devices section)

both are connected via eth cable and set to private network neither pc is password protected and related settings is turned off
    both have a static ip under 10.1.1.0/24

image shows what appears on both machines. obviously, both should be able to see WAIPC-LAPTOP and WAIPC-DESKTOP

anyone know what is going on here?
    playing with a VM on the desktop to see if that shows up.. (laptop is fresh install of windows 1809 and desktop is nearly a years worth of gradual updates)

network problem can only share one way c93decf2-bade-4c3c-a7cd-280e8b9184cf?upload=true.png

:)

RobertLloyd2, Nov 26, 2018
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Network Sharing Password Problems

Hi William,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Network Troubleshooter and check, if this helps.

• In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooter’, and then click ‘Troubleshooting’.
    • Under ‘Network and Internet’, click ‘Internet Connections
    • Follow the on screen instructions.
    Step 2: Update Network Adapter.

• Right click on Start button, type Device Manager and Enter.

• Now click on your Network Adapter.

• Right click and click on Properties, and go to Driver tab and click on
      Update driver.
    Also, refer: Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/...2&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Note: Applies to windows 10 as well.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Nov 26, 2018
  4. network problem can only share one way

Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

network problem can only share one way

1. network problem can only share one way - Similar Threads - network problem share

2. Shared files and folders only works one way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared files and folders only works one way: I used to be able to access shared folders and files between two computers connected to the same network. This gave me the ability to perform Macrium Reflect backups to external storage on my laptop, from my Windows tablet. Now, when I try to access remote storage from the...
  3. Shared files and folders only works one way

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared files and folders only works one way: I used to be able to access shared folders and files between two computers connected to the same network. This gave me the ability to perform Macrium Reflect backups to external storage on my laptop, from my Windows tablet. Now, when I try to access remote storage from the...
  4. Windows 10 computers network sharing only working one-way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 computers network sharing only working one-way: I've reached the point of exhaustion with how-to's and other advice on sharing. I have Win10 installed/updated on two laptops. On the home wifi network, one HP model =17 shows all 4 computers on the net, but the other Lenovo P17 shows all but the HP. So the HP will show the...
  5. Windows 10 computers network sharing only working one-way

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 computers network sharing only working one-way: I've reached the point of exhaustion with how-to's and other advice on sharing. I have Win10 installed/updated on two laptops. On the home wifi network, one HP model =17 shows all 4 computers on the net, but the other Lenovo P17 shows all but the HP. So the HP will show the...
  6. Windows 10 computers network sharing only working one-way

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Networked computers only one way

Networked computers only one way: After every Windows10 update, my ethernet stopped functioning. After this last update and a completely clean new install I have just spent hours and hours with different tech support people. The last one admitted that he could not overcome that issue. But he said, since we...
  8. Network works one way only

Network works one way only: I have two WIN 10 computers connected to modem/router by cable. When I open the network on computer "A", I can get to documents and other files on computer "B". However, when I try to get to the computer "A" from computer "B", the system asks for Network credentials. I don't...
  9. Can only connect one way on networking

Can only connect one way on networking: Okay, an interesting situation here. Up until recently I could connect via my ethernet networking fine, between 2 PCs, both ways. Both my PCs recently upgraded to 1903, approx 1 week apart. I have zero idea if it is coincidence, but now I can only access one of the PCs, not...
  10. home network works one-way only

home network works one-way only: From my wifi laptop I can see my ethernet desktop's username in file explorer's network, and can access files. Using my desktop, I can see my laptop but the only Users listed are ADMINI~1; Default; and Default.migrated. I don see the username of my laptop from my desktop pc...