Windows 10: Network question Daisy chaining shares

Discus and support Network question Daisy chaining shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks If I have a NAS / LINUX server and a Windows machine on a network I can mount a Windows drive on to the NAS server and if it's mounted on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Apr 10, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Network question Daisy chaining shares

Hi folks

If I have a NAS / LINUX server and a Windows machine on a network I can mount a Windows drive on to the NAS server and if it's mounted on a SAMBA share e.g /mnt/sharename then anybody who has access to the server can also access the Windows share (assuming right credentials).

the other way around it doesn't work -- If I connect a network share from NAS to the Windows box I can't make that drive shared to other users who can access the Windows box so you need to have TWO devices / servers available on the network instead of just one.

I'm not a network guru so I might have missed something here - but is there any way to share a "shared" network drive so users only see the Windows box with the shared Linux folder on it but have no access to the Linux server.

I don't think this is a problem of actual Network connections but just the way Windows works. Perhaps there's no way around this - but my gut feeling is that it ought to be possible for Windows to "Daisy chain" a network share.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 10, 2018
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Displaying laptop to multiple TVs/monitors

Yes you are supposed to be able to daisy chain up to 4 (I think) monitors on a single HDMI connection. But your video card and HDMI port and all of the monitors and all of the cables have to have to support the feature.

Have you tried building up the chain slowly? Start with one monitor. Get it working, then plug in the second monitor, etc.

Or, rather than running a long daisy chain, you may want to consider using a Hub that splits the HDMI port. Here is an example of the device I am talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort...

I an not specifically recommending it, just using it as an example. Taht way you take the monitors out of the chain.

Rohn007, Apr 10, 2018
  3. Nokia Desk Stand DT-14

It must have been AC plug orientation of your charger, not the same with that of the stand. Alone it will work but having it daisy chain with the stand it does not.

android---01, Apr 10, 2018
Thema:

Network question Daisy chaining shares

1. Network question Daisy chaining shares - Similar Threads - Network question Daisy

2. DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy chained Monitors suddenly no longer work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy chained Monitors suddenly no longer work: I'm using a Dell Monitor that supports DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy Chain while the OSD configuration is enabled. The second screen is an MSI MAG271C and for the past 2 years using this configuration to expand windows desktop has worked without issue, but upon waking up the computer...
  3. DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy chained Monitors suddenly no longer work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy chained Monitors suddenly no longer work: I'm using a Dell Monitor that supports DisplayPort 1.2 Daisy Chain while the OSD configuration is enabled. The second screen is an MSI MAG271C and for the past 2 years using this configuration to expand windows desktop has worked without issue, but upon waking up the computer...
  4. Daisy-chaining on new PC not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Daisy-chaining on new PC not working: Hi, I have a dual monitor set-up, both Lenovo P24h-10, monitor A being my 'main' monitor connected to either my work laptop via USB-C or my personal computer using DP. My secondary monitor, let's call it monitor B, is connected to monitor A via DP out. Monitor B input is...
  5. Daisy-chaining on new PC not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Daisy-chaining on new PC not working: Hi, I have a dual monitor set-up, both Lenovo P24h-10, monitor A being my 'main' monitor connected to either my work laptop via USB-C or my personal computer using DP. My secondary monitor, let's call it monitor B, is connected to monitor A via DP out. Monitor B input is...
  6. HDMI & DisplayPort Daisy Chain?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI & DisplayPort Daisy Chain?: Can I take HDMI out of my laptop, into a monitor, and then DisplayPort out of that monitor into a second monitor?I've tried, and can't make it work.Is there a setting or is this not possible?Thanks....
  7. Daisy-chaining mirrors instead of extending displays

in Windows 10 Support
    Daisy-chaining mirrors instead of extending displays: Runnig MSI GT80 Titan SLI, with dual Nvidia 980m. Two monitors are Dell U3014, both. I run this config: CPU -> mini-DP to DP on primary U3014 - DP-out to DP-in (Secondary Dell U3014) the monitors are mirrored. Windows sees daisy-chained monitors as a single U3014. I have...
  8. 5 Monitors - One Gpu with Daisy Chain DP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    5 Monitors - One Gpu with Daisy Chain DP: I've been trying to get 5 monitors working with one GPU but having a few issues. As most know, nvidia limits display output to 4 windows. I was hoping to get around that by daisy chaining two monitors with DP. After trying a few different set ups, I can't seem to get windows...
  9. Windows10 cannot detect a daisy-chained second external monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows10 cannot detect a daisy-chained second external monitor: (Surface Book 3) i7-1065G7, Windows 10 Home v2004 OS build 19041.508, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 w/ Max-Q Design. (Connection from Surface Book 3 to ViewSonic VG2249 [External Monitor 1]) USB-C to HDMI. (Connection from ViewSonic VG2249 [External Monitor 1] to ViewSonic VG2249...
  10. Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s): Hi folks If you are messing around with say Linux / NAS servers on VMs or even a mix of real / virtual sometimes you want to connect one NAS share to another NAS server without messing around with config files etc. This daisy chains shares across entire networks including...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i daisy chain computers to share network drive