Windows 10: network security code

Discus and support network security code in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been trying to get connection from my home computer via WiFi of Bluetooth and it keeps asking for my network security key. Where do i find this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KerryRabe, Apr 18, 2020.

1. KerryRabe Win User

network security code

I have been trying to get connection from my home computer via WiFi of Bluetooth and it keeps asking for my network security key. Where do i find this?

:)

KerryRabe, Apr 18, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

Basic Network guide

I'll be adding a small page on doing this in windows vista soon, since XP is the same with a step or two less, i assume people will figure it out.

Mussels, Apr 18, 2020
  3. d44ve Win User
    network security

Netgear Wireless Router Setup and Security
    The use of wireless routers and access points is allowed on the Lycoming College Resnet. If you do plan on setting up a wireless router it is your responsibility to properly configure and secure your wireless router for both your own personal privacy and overall network stability. On this page you will find instructions on how to properly setup your wireless router.

Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Router
    Begin setup of your Netgear Wireless Router by first reading the instructions in the included manual, and following their guidelines for plugging in and initializing the access point. The first few steps in this guide should coincide with the information found in the manual, however we will follow up with important information on how to secure your wireless access point.
    After powering up the router, use an ethernet cable to connect your computer to one of the ports on it marked 1 through 4. Next open a web browser window on the connected computer and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter. This will take you to the Netgear Smart Wizard welcome page, click OK to begin the configuration. The router will attempt to detect the type of connection you have and the next message you receive should be Dynamic IP (DHCP) Detected, click Next once you see this.
    Next you will enable the wireless capability of your router. In the dropdown box for the region where you are located select United States from the list. On this screen you should also change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from its default value to something unique so that your Base Station will not be confused with another. Click Next.
    You should now see a message confirming that your connection is working and wireless is enabled. However, your are not secured yet. Read the notes and click Done. Then direct your browser to Router login to continue the configuration. A window will pop up prompting you for your login and password, enter admin for the username and password for the password, then click OK.

network security code [​IMG]

Accessing the router settings through a web browser.

Once you have logged in you will see the main configuration page (shown above). Now click on the Wireless Settings at the left of the page. In order to password protect your wireless network select the WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) option under the Security Options and then under the Security Encryption (WEP) section that appears, select 128 bit next to Encryption Strength. Choose a password between 6 and 8 characters and type it into the Passphrase box under the Security Encryption (WEP) Key heading. Then click Generate. Finally click Apply. You may also select WPA encryption, however not all network cards support this, so check your documentation first.
    Next look for the Advanced section heading on the left side of the page and click on this Wireless Settings section. Disable the SSID broadcast option by unchecking the second box in this section and then click on the Setup Access List button.
    On this page (seen below) check the box to Turn Access Control On and click on the Apply button to save this setting.
    Now click on the Add button, this will display a Wireless Card Entry heading. This is where you will choose a name and enter a MAC Address, also known as Physical Address, for each computer that you will be using to connect to your wireless network. If you don't know how to get this information follow the steps here. Once you have finished, click the Apply button.

network security code [​IMG]

Creating an Access Control List will prevent unauthorized computers from using your connection.

Finally click on the Set Password link on the left of the page under the Maintenance heading. Change the default password for accessing your wireless router setup pages by first typing the old one, password, into the appropriate field and then entering a new one into the New Password field and confirming it. This should be a different password than the one you setup for WEP encryption, but should also be at least 6 to 8 characters in length. Click the Apply button.

Your Netgear Wireless Router is now secure.

d44ve, Apr 18, 2020
  4. RobJLau Win User

network security code

Microsoft account security code - WHY?

Thanks for the reply Greg.

"If you turn on two-step verification, you’ll get a security code to your email, phone, or authenticator app every time you sign in on
    a device that isn't trusted. When two-step verification is turned off, you will only have to verify your identity with security codes periodically, when
    there might be a risk to your account security."

Overkill.

As Two-Step verification has never been turned on, I presume MS thinks every time I log into access pages on https://account.microsoft.com/ pages I'm a risk to my account. Even from computers listed in the 'Devices" tab of those pages. Even though I have
    to supply my MS password to get to those pages.

Are you suggesting I turn two-step verification on, which is what I don't need?

RobJLau, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

network security code

1. network security code - Similar Threads - network security code

2. Network equipment security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network equipment security: Hello Microsoft Gurus:I have a technical question involving mechanical aspects of securing your accesses from cybercriminals. Having previously owned my own modem/routers, is it more secure than using the service provider's equipment who's security software you have no...
  3. Network security

Network security: Hi I want to protect my network from ARP poisining attack,MAC ADDRESS flooding attack.please suggest me every possible way to do this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-security/e89ef029-d84e-4b61-99c1-4c82c06a67da
  4. Network Not Secured

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Not Secured: GL.INET MT300N Wireless Trying to configure an old router for my home network all the connection works fine but at last it displays the WiFi isnt secure. Why it's not secure ? Windows 10 1909...
  5. Security code

Security code: This is really damn sad for Microsoft, You keep nagging me for a code that you never send on cellphone or mail and threaten with closure of account just because I use an VPN and was logged on in Australia so I could see some local shows not allowed elsewhere- Have you not an...
  6. Network security

Network security: Our computers are on a network and we are linked at work for Peachtree Accounting, etc . Our current computer support person is telling us that we should not allow our computers to do Windows updates on their own and that he has to do them each individually to protect them....
  7. Security Code

Security Code: Why do I receive microsoft messages in Spanish when my region is the UK? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-code/6064cdb5-8994-42f8-9ffa-a0cfac1438ba"
  8. security code

security code: I am not receiving the security code (windows) on my mobile!!! and at the same time windows is not giving me options other than receiving the code through my mobile number. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-code/09be9b09-117c-46ba-ae0c-61cfc9ff9a47"
  9. Security code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security code: The security code I received on my phone contains 6 numbers. Microsoft keeps asking for 7. I tried different downloads but nothing works. How can I get 7 numbers if you only send me 6....
  10. network security

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network security: I have a private home network that is somehow being controlled by a domain. I have limited control over all of my devices. I have tried all the obvious solutions. Such as: clean installation, network reset, computer reset option in windows 10. I've wiped drives with d-ban,...