Windows 10: Network security password

Discus and support Network security password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I forgot my password to connect my phone to the laptop using phone as a hotspot.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobEndter, Oct 28, 2018.

1. RobEndter Win User

Network security password

I forgot my password to connect my phone to the laptop using phone as a hotspot.

:)

RobEndter, Oct 28, 2018
  2. d44ve Win User

network security

Netgear Wireless Router Setup and Security
    The use of wireless routers and access points is allowed on the Lycoming College Resnet. If you do plan on setting up a wireless router it is your responsibility to properly configure and secure your wireless router for both your own personal privacy and overall network stability. On this page you will find instructions on how to properly setup your wireless router.

Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Router
    Begin setup of your Netgear Wireless Router by first reading the instructions in the included manual, and following their guidelines for plugging in and initializing the access point. The first few steps in this guide should coincide with the information found in the manual, however we will follow up with important information on how to secure your wireless access point.
    After powering up the router, use an ethernet cable to connect your computer to one of the ports on it marked 1 through 4. Next open a web browser window on the connected computer and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter. This will take you to the Netgear Smart Wizard welcome page, click OK to begin the configuration. The router will attempt to detect the type of connection you have and the next message you receive should be Dynamic IP (DHCP) Detected, click Next once you see this.
    Next you will enable the wireless capability of your router. In the dropdown box for the region where you are located select United States from the list. On this screen you should also change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from its default value to something unique so that your Base Station will not be confused with another. Click Next.
    You should now see a message confirming that your connection is working and wireless is enabled. However, your are not secured yet. Read the notes and click Done. Then direct your browser to http://www.routerlogin.net to continue the configuration. A window will pop up prompting you for your login and password, enter admin for the username and password for the password, then click OK.

Network security password [​IMG]

Accessing the router settings through a web browser.

Once you have logged in you will see the main configuration page (shown above). Now click on the Wireless Settings at the left of the page. In order to password protect your wireless network select the WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) option under the Security Options and then under the Security Encryption (WEP) section that appears, select 128 bit next to Encryption Strength. Choose a password between 6 and 8 characters and type it into the Passphrase box under the Security Encryption (WEP) Key heading. Then click Generate. Finally click Apply. You may also select WPA encryption, however not all network cards support this, so check your documentation first.
    Next look for the Advanced section heading on the left side of the page and click on this Wireless Settings section. Disable the SSID broadcast option by unchecking the second box in this section and then click on the Setup Access List button.
    On this page (seen below) check the box to Turn Access Control On and click on the Apply button to save this setting.
    Now click on the Add button, this will display a Wireless Card Entry heading. This is where you will choose a name and enter a MAC Address, also known as Physical Address, for each computer that you will be using to connect to your wireless network. If you don't know how to get this information follow the steps here. Once you have finished, click the Apply button.

Network security password [​IMG]

Creating an Access Control List will prevent unauthorized computers from using your connection.

Finally click on the Set Password link on the left of the page under the Maintenance heading. Change the default password for accessing your wireless router setup pages by first typing the old one, password, into the appropriate field and then entering a new one into the New Password field and confirming it. This should be a different password than the one you setup for WEP encryption, but should also be at least 6 to 8 characters in length. Click the Apply button.

Your Netgear Wireless Router is now secure.

d44ve, Oct 28, 2018
  3. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Oct 28, 2018
  4. Network security password

Viewing the WIFI network password in Windows 10

This answer does not help me as the password box does not appear under the security tab of wireless network properties when following all your steps and there is no "show password" box to check as in previous versions of windows??? Suggestions??

Thanks.

MarkJuresich, Oct 28, 2018
Thema:

Network security password

1. Network security password - Similar Threads - Network security password

2. NO SECURITY TAB To view Network Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NO SECURITY TAB To view Network Password: Windows 10Cannot login to my network and can't view my password.My attempt ....Control panelNetwork/InternetView and Sharing CenterClick on NetworkWi-Fi stats boxWireless propertiesBUT NO SECURITY TAB.please help.What am I doing wrong or not doing right?Thank you very much...
  3. NO SECURITY TAB To view Network Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NO SECURITY TAB To view Network Password: Windows 10Cannot login to my network and can't view my password.My attempt ....Control panelNetwork/InternetView and Sharing CenterClick on NetworkWi-Fi stats boxWireless propertiesBUT NO SECURITY TAB.please help.What am I doing wrong or not doing right?Thank you very much...
  4. NO SECURITY TAB To view Network Password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Security, password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security, password: Many of my accounts were hacked. I worked for a month to get all my accounts reset up, passwords and log ins changed.I have not been able to get my microsoft account fixed.I have asked questions of microsoft, I have asked for help from microsoft, i had an agent remote in, I...
  6. change network security password windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    change network security password windows 10: change network security password windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-security-password-windows-10/2e6fff62-67dd-4505-ab39-cfa6efd9c6e3
  7. passwords and security

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    passwords and security: I recently did a reset on my computer. When I went to sign in to ebay my user name AND my password were up on the screen. This means that ANYONE can get into my ebay account and make a purchase. I checked my paypal account and it's the same, open and ready for ANYONE TO...
  8. Windows security network credentials does not recognize password

Windows security network credentials does not recognize password: This problem began right after my most recent Windows 10 update earlier this week. Until then I did not have a problem. We have a small home office. Our LAN has 4 desktops with ethernet connections, 2 laptops that connect wirelessly, and a NAS server with ethernet...
  9. password security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    password security: are there any password managing apps out there which ask for or give you the option of a text verification as well, eg everytime the app is asked to retrieve a password for no matter what it will send a pin to your mobile before releasing it...
  10. Network security key is not same as wifi password help

Network security key is not same as wifi password help: So for a few days now I have been trying to connect my phone to the wifi, I do not know the wifi password. I have the network security key as I have a computer admin account. From everything I have read it seems in most cases the network security key is the same as the...