Windows 10: Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials

Discus and support Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to understand how Win10 works with credentials for accessing shared folders. In my case I have a NAS which has a few shared folders.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PhizyT, Dec 23, 2019.

1. /u/PhizyT Win User

Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials

Hi, I'm trying to understand how Win10 works with credentials for accessing shared folders. In my case I have a NAS which has a few shared folders. There are two way I can access them, one via network share (i.e. \\mynas\folder1, \\mynas\folder2) or as a network drive (i.e. mapping H:\ -> \\mynas\folder1.

If I access via network share (\\mynas or \\mynas\folder1) I'm prompted for a username and password. Here are my questions:

1. How do I see which user logged into the network share?
    2. How do I CHANGE the user who logged in? So far, all I can do to force a new login is to stop the workstation service, restart it and then access via \\mynas which prompts me. Is this the only way?
    3. Upon rebooting, how do I have it log in automatically to that share? If I set it to automatically, how do I change it so it's not?

With mapped drives it's more straight forward but, I'd rather use the network path. In fact, I may use both drive mapping and network share access depending on the application.

Thanks for the help.

submitted by /u/PhizyT
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/PhizyT, Dec 23, 2019

2. cannot open files on network shared drive

Is the remote shared folder mapped? Do you have a drive letter assigned to it?
    I'd suggest calling the software developer and asking them.

thebluebumblebee, Dec 23, 2019
  3. Jizzler Win User
    cannot open files on network shared drive

I have used a small handful of applications that just won't open a \\host\share\file.ext

Annoying, but there may be a workaround, try mapping the share to a drive letter:

In Explorer, Tools > Map network drive...

Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials map-network-drive-1.png

Then choose an unused drive letter, and the shared folder.

Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials map-network-drive-2097.png

This will work for most programs as it'll see K:\kitchen.kit

Jizzler, Dec 23, 2019
  4. Allan Mej Win User

Saving credentials in network mapped drive

Hi Richard,

Credential Manager allows you to save and manage web and Windows credentials for circumstances like network drive mapping. If you have trouble logging in credentials every time you save/open/copy/edit files, kindly try these following methods:

Methods 1: Managing Credentials

• On the search box, search and open Credential Manager.
    • Click Windows Credentials and select Add a Windows Credential.
    • Fill in the required information and click OK.

Method 2: Allowing reconnection at log on.

• Open the File Explorer and select This PC.
    • Click Computer beside File tab on the upper-right corner and click Map network drive.
    • Browse to the drive that you want to remember your credentials and check
      Reconnect at sign-in.
    • Click Finish.

Note: If reconnect at sign-in does not work, try re-mapping the drive.

Also, if your PCs are not up-to-date, we recommend updating them because these issues may happen because of some bugs on Windows, and an updated PC may address this kind of issues.

Let us know how things go.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials - Similar Threads - Network share folders

2. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Share folder vs Mapping drives: Difference between network shared and mapping a drive ? An explanation would be much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-share-folder-vs-mapping-drives/bf3c629b-63e9-4a45-bff6-db7e656fd84e
  3. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Share folder vs Mapping drives: Difference between network shared and mapping a drive ? An explanation would be much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-share-folder-vs-mapping-drives/bf3c629b-63e9-4a45-bff6-db7e656fd84e
  4. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Mapped network drive/ shared folder not accessible after reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped network drive/ shared folder not accessible after reboot: I have a folder on a file server Windows XP Pro - Logon: USER no logon password which I have shared share permission read/write to ALEX not administrator and added ALEX into the security list. File server IP = 192.168.1.111 I have a desktop Windows 10 Home Logon: USERno...
  6. vanishing logon credentials and mapped network drives

vanishing logon credentials and mapped network drives: I have Dell Vostro desktop with Win10 Pro and Office Professional 2019. After each restart I have to remap all network drives using Synology software. Outlook 2019 logon credentials keep disappearing many times a day even though there duly saved during email account...
  7. User folder in network sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User folder in network sharing: [ATTACH] Hello, i want to ask, my network folder showing 'Users' and if i delete this folder from Computer Management > Shared Folder > Shares, will it damage the system or user? Thank you....
  8. Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials

Network Folder Share Using "Remote User" credentials: I am trying so share a folder and add permissions for a user on another machine on the same network Here is was i am trying to achieve (all computers are running Windows 10 on the same local network): Example, There are 5 Computers Drive X:\ is on one computer and has...
  9. Changing icons for network mapped folders and shares with no drive letters.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing icons for network mapped folders and shares with no drive letters.: I am looking for how to change the icons for network mapped shared folders from a NAS or Server that don’t have or display drive letters. I am mapping to NAS and Server using Windows 10 Pro....
  10. Cannot map shared network drive

Cannot map shared network drive: I have just upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and have a problem with a shared network drive. Under Win7 and 8.1 I had no difficulty mapping this drive which is attached directly to my access point. However, since upgrade, I can log into the drive using a browser but cannot...