Windows 10: Network Share Password Problem

Discus and support Network Share Password Problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem. Let's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tiger Schnee, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Network Share Password Problem

I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem.

Let's say my main PC is PC A, and my second PC is PC B. When I try to access files on B from A, everything works fine. But when I try to access A from B in Network, it needs me to enter network credentials. Weird thing is, if I type in my new Microsoft account password, it will say ' The user name or password is incorrect ', I need to type in my previous password in order to access A. Problem is, every time after I shut down, or restart on B, and try to access A, it requires me to enter network credentials with a red ' The user name or password is incorrect ' at the pop up window's bottom, despite I clicked remember. And more weird thing is, if I tried to enter my current password in that popup, it will say ' The user name or password is incorrect ', but after I close the popup, I can access A!

Both PC's network is set to private. They have the same setting in Advanced sharing settings. I have turned off password protected sharing on both PC.

So is there any way to let me use Network on B just like it is on A? I do not want to open File Explorer and enter the password again every time I start my PC.

:)

Tiger Schnee, Jul 4, 2019

2. Network Sharing Password Problems

Hi William,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Network Troubleshooter and check, if this helps.

• In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooter’, and then click ‘Troubleshooting’.
    • Under ‘Network and Internet’, click ‘Internet Connections
    • Follow the on screen instructions.
    Step 2: Update Network Adapter.

• Right click on Start button, type Device Manager and Enter.

• Now click on your Network Adapter.

• Right click and click on Properties, and go to Driver tab and click on
      Update driver.
    Also, refer: Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/...2&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Note: Applies to windows 10 as well.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jul 4, 2019
  3. Try3 Win User
    Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

There used to be a need for an extra step in some conditions** but I thought that need had disappeared [I still do the extra step routinely so I have not tested its need for several years].

** when using different Windows versions on a network that is connected by an ethernet cable directly between the two computers without any router

You used to have to
    1 Set password protected sharing On
    2 Create a local Admin account with the same name on every computer and set the same password for each of those accounts.
    3 Enter the Admin's password when first challenged [when first trying to access a shared folder across the network].
    [4 There was no further call for this password - it was a first-use-only thing.]

Perhaps this is still a useful step? Hopefully, a network buff will chip in soon.

In the meantime, you might check if you have included all the steps in Share Files and Folders Over a Network - TenForumsTutorials and that your Workgroup name is the same on all network computers.

Best of luck,
    Denis

Try3, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Network Share Password Problem

Network Sharing

Hi Arya,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you trying to share the wireless network connection from Windows device to phone?
    2. What is the make and model of the phone?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?
    Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

If you’re referring to sharing the Wireless network connection in Windows 10, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard and click on Network & Internet.
    2. On the network & Internet page, click on ‘Mobile hotspot’.
    3. Turn On’ Share my Internet connection with other devices under Mobile hotspot.
    4. The default network name and password will be available under Mobile hotspot.
    5. Enter the same password on the device which you’re trying to connect and check the status of the issue.

If you’re trying to share the internet connection, then refer the article
    Use your PC as a mobile hotspot
    for more information.

If you’re referring to ‘File sharing’, I suggest you to refer the section ‘How do I troubleshoot sharing and folders’ from the article ‘File
    sharing over a network in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

Network Share Password Problem

1. Network Share Password Problem - Similar Threads - Network Share Password

2. Network Sharing and Passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Sharing and Passwords: I am having a nightmare of a time trying to access shared folders on my two PC's, a Desktop and a NUC acting as a server.Windows keeps asking for Passwords, but I did a new install and I haven't even chosen a passwordI didn't do it as a local machine, I did it online using my...
  3. Network Sharing and Passwords

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Sharing and Passwords: I am having a nightmare of a time trying to access shared folders on my two PC's, a Desktop and a NUC acting as a server.Windows keeps asking for Passwords, but I did a new install and I haven't even chosen a passwordI didn't do it as a local machine, I did it online using my...
  4. Network Sharing Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Sharing Problem: Hi, I run Windows 10. I am having a lot of problems trying to set up an network with a computer using Windows 7. There is too many problems to list here at one time so I will start with one that I don't understand. 1. When I click on a hard drive an then right click on it...
  5. Password protected sharing over Network sharing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password protected sharing over Network sharing: How can we turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing,thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protected-sharing-over-network-sharing/635517ef-5d29-4e18-80f5-43c8896e6ac9"
  6. Turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing.

Turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing.: how do I set up a password for netwotk sharing? ***Modified Title from: How do I set up a password for network sharing*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-password-protected-sharing-over-network/04c4ee71-adcd-45ea-90be-e35904259e1e
  7. Network sharing problem

Network sharing problem: Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet. There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home...
  8. Network sharing problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Network sharing problem: Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet. There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home...
  9. Problem with network sharing

Problem with network sharing: Hi all, I am having a small problem with sharing files from this PC to other devices. What happens is that every time I restart the PC the other devices on the network can no longer access it's shared folders. Using the netstat /ano command I can see that port 445 is not...
  10. Network share ignores password protected sharing

Network share ignores password protected sharing: I am trying to make a shared folder on my network that is only accessible to me and cannot be viewed by other users.When I create the share, no matter how I set permissions, the folder becomes accessible to everyone on the network. This is the case whether I use a homegroup...