Windows 10: Network share searching excludes special characters

Discus and support Network share searching excludes special characters in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi, I am having trouble with searching shared drives with special characters, for example, searching for this "ESUB 4000058 - urgent" results in... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Chad Berthier, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Network share searching excludes special characters

Hi,

I am having trouble with searching shared drives with special characters,

for example, searching for this

"ESUB 4000058 - urgent" results in no items found

searching for this:
    "ESUB 4000058"

lists a few results, it also will find "ESUB 4000058-urgent"

J:\something\something-something\something example file path

Can someone assist?

:)

Chad Berthier, Feb 17, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Searching for special characters

To find any file containing -2 search for filename:*-2:

Network share searching excludes special characters [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)

Search parameter filename:* followed by any special character searches for that character in file names. For example searching for filename:*& finds all files with an ampersand (&) in filename, search filename:*_ finds all files with an underscore in file name, search filename:*, finds all files with a comma in file name.

3. Searching for special characters

Terrific, that works. I thought the * was just a wildcard; that's what all the help faqs said. If you leave off the filename: it pulls everything with a 2 in it. It's a bit odd that MS would make a simple search that cumbersome.

Thank you so much!

TwilightTiger, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Network share searching excludes special characters

Searching for special characters

Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my drivers... Well, it was getting to be time to update... I've a few more grey hairs now.

Anyway, in my old machine, when I modified a file, I would just append a "-2" or "-3" to the file name, ie. File005-02.html. This made searches very easy, as I could just search for -2 and it would list all the files I'd changed. I have my old drive slaved into my new pc, but I can't seem to figure out what Win10 wants to search for just "-2". Win10 gives me all the files with a 2 in the name or inside the file, completely ignoring the dash, which returns a huge number of files.

Is there a quick way to do a simple search for files with a dash, underscore, or other special character in the filename?

Can I turn off the "search inside the file" function, so that it just searches filenames?

Thanks!

TwilightTiger, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Network share searching excludes special characters

1. Network share searching excludes special characters - Similar Threads - Network share searching

2. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character is not working: i am supporting couple companies and recetly have lot of issue with my users , the sepcial characters is not working and mostly users passwrd are include these characters and they cant log into their softwares and their account get locked , mostly after a reboot it back to...
  3. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    special character is not working: i am supporting couple companies and recetly have lot of issue with my users , the sepcial characters is not working and mostly users passwrd are include these characters and they cant log into their softwares and their account get locked , mostly after a reboot it back to...
  4. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. typing special characters

typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  6. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  7. Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?

Searching within text files for a phrase with special characters?: I have hundreds of plain text files chat logs, to be specific, and I need to find instances of a phrase explicitly in SQUARE BRACKETS e.g. [Phrase Here]. The phrase in question appears very often without the brackets, so trying to manually sort through File Explorer search...
  8. special character ¥

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character ¥: I usually use three languages, English, Traditional Chinese and Japanese. And I, always, need to type the specail character "¥" using the keyboard combination of [ALT]165, but this cannot be done using English language keyboard, it will return a "?", only when I switch to...
  9. Special characters in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Win10: Hi, we have a bit of a weird issue with special characters. (kind of hard to explain but I`ll try) We are currently running a Win10 pilot, and the users are saying that the special characters, like é and õ, differs from Windows 7, even though the language input (norwegian) is...
  10. Searching for special characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for special characters: Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my drivers... Well, it was getting to be time to update... I've a few more grey hairs now. Anyway, in my old machine, when I...