Windows 10: Network share searching excludes special characters

Discus and support Network share searching excludes special characters in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi, I am having trouble with searching shared drives with special characters, for example, searching for this "ESUB 4000058 - urgent" results in... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Chad Berthier, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Network share searching excludes special characters

Hi,

I am having trouble with searching shared drives with special characters,

for example, searching for this

"ESUB 4000058 - urgent" results in no items found

searching for this:
    "ESUB 4000058"

lists a few results, it also will find "ESUB 4000058-urgent"

J:\something\something-something\something example file path

Can someone assist?

:)

Chad Berthier, Feb 17, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Searching for special characters

To find any file containing -2 search for filename:*-2:

Network share searching excludes special characters [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)

Search parameter filename:* followed by any special character searches for that character in file names. For example searching for filename:*& finds all files with an ampersand (&) in filename, search filename:*_ finds all files with an underscore in file name, search filename:*, finds all files with a comma in file name.

3. Searching for special characters

Terrific, that works. I thought the * was just a wildcard; that's what all the help faqs said. If you leave off the filename: it pulls everything with a 2 in it. It's a bit odd that MS would make a simple search that cumbersome.

Thank you so much!

TwilightTiger, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Network share searching excludes special characters

Searching for special characters

Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my drivers... Well, it was getting to be time to update... I've a few more grey hairs now.

Anyway, in my old machine, when I modified a file, I would just append a "-2" or "-3" to the file name, ie. File005-02.html. This made searches very easy, as I could just search for -2 and it would list all the files I'd changed. I have my old drive slaved into my new pc, but I can't seem to figure out what Win10 wants to search for just "-2". Win10 gives me all the files with a 2 in the name or inside the file, completely ignoring the dash, which returns a huge number of files.

Is there a quick way to do a simple search for files with a dash, underscore, or other special character in the filename?

Can I turn off the "search inside the file" function, so that it just searches filenames?

Thanks!

TwilightTiger, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Network share searching excludes special characters

1. Network share searching excludes special characters - Similar Threads - Network share searching

2. Exclude specific network folders from a network search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exclude specific network folders from a network search: Hi, I'm currently on Windows 10 Home 1909 and am wondering how do I exclude specific network folders when I'm frequently doing a search on a networked drive? The drive isn't mapped, just added as a network location shortcut in "This PC". Thanks. 154147
  3. Exclude specific network folders from a network search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude specific network folders from a network search: Hi, I'm currently on Windows 10 Home 1909 and am wondering how do I exclude specific network folders when I'm frequently doing a search on a networked drive? The drive isn't mapped, just added as a network location shortcut in "This PC". Thanks. 154147
  4. Dropping a special character into text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dropping a special character into text: A few years ago I used to have a facility, when typing a document, to drag a special character, eg a mathematical symbol, from a small font app displayed at the side of my text, and drop it into the body of my document. I have looked everywhere for this little app which,...
  5. Special characters in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Windows 10?: Where is the program that shows special characters with their Alt keys? 148825
  6. Exclude computer on network from seeing a shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exclude computer on network from seeing a shared folder: Dear All, Hope you are all well. I have spent over 8 hours trying to research to sort this issue out and honestly I am defeated and frustrated! We have three computers on our network. Computer A (Main computers which has the shared folders) Computer B Computer C When I...
  7. special character ¥

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character ¥: I usually use three languages, English, Traditional Chinese and Japanese. And I, always, need to type the specail character "¥" using the keyboard combination of [ALT]165, but this cannot be done using English language keyboard, it will return a "?", only when I switch to...
  8. My special characters are not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My special characters are not working.: I have installed both french and spanish keyboards but somehow it is not possible to do a trema above letters or use the wave spanishn or a single accent on an e etc.. I have checked with my on screenkey board and my ctrl are both being registered when used. However, when I...
  9. Special characters in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Win10: Hi, we have a bit of a weird issue with special characters. (kind of hard to explain but I`ll try) We are currently running a Win10 pilot, and the users are saying that the special characters, like é and õ, differs from Windows 7, even though the language input (norwegian) is...
  10. Searching for special characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for special characters: Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my drivers... Well, it was getting to be time to update... I've a few more grey hairs now. Anyway, in my old machine, when I...