Windows 10: Network Shares blocked by firewall

Discus and support Network Shares blocked by firewall in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am currently having issues with Windows firewall on one machine blocking other computers access to its File shares. I believe it is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Larry025, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Larry025 Win User

Network Shares blocked by firewall

Hello,

I am currently having issues with Windows firewall on one machine blocking other computers access to its File shares. I believe it is the firewall because if I turn it off on the affected computer, I can access it's shares without issue From any computer in the domain. However if I turn the firewall back on, I lose the ability to connect.

I've literally opened "All ports" incoming and outgoing of the domain firewall. I STILL have issues connecting.

Both machines are running windows 10 and are on a domain.

The exact error I get is

"Windowss cannot access \\usercomputer-pc

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

Error code: 0x80070035

The network path is not found."

When I click the diagnose button I get

Problems found

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Usercomputer-pc)

Event viewer doesn't seem to help.

Basically, I need to know what's going on when I turn off the domain firewall, and why opening all ports inbound and outbound doesn't have the same effect when it is on.

Thank you!

:)

Larry025, Mar 19, 2019

2. Block File sharing in Wifi network, Windows 10

Hi Lori,

As per the description, I understand that you want to block file sharing on your Wi-Fi network. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Change the view type to Large Icons.
    • Click on Network and Sharing center.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Advanced sharing center.
    • In the right pane, under Files and printer sharing, select the option:
      Turn off file and printer sharing.
    • Restart the system and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 19, 2019
  3. John Sarc Win User
    Windows Firewall blocks App Store from downloading new apps

Hi,

Let's try to check if the app store you're referring to if it's really blocked by Windows Firewall. See these steps:

• Open Windows Firewall from the taskbar >
      Firewall & network protection
      > Allow an app through firewall.
    • A new window will show up containing the list of the apps that ca be allowed through Firewall.
    • Look for the app you want to be accessed, and make sure that the Domain, Private and Public are ticked. That would allow the app store to be accessed.

Let us know what happens after doing the suggestion.

John Sarc, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Network Shares blocked by firewall

FIREWALL IS BLOCKING CERTAIN PROGRAMS

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

One of the most common problems when using a network firewall is that it sometimes blocks network traffic that you want to allow.

Please follow the below step to troubleshoot with the issue:

• Open the “Control Panel“.
    • Select “System and Security.
    • In the Windows Firewall section, select “Allow a program through Windows Firewall“.
    • Unchecking the box to the left of the application name disallows it from accessing network resources, while checking it allows access.
    • If the program you wish to block or unblock is not listed, you can click the “Allow another program…” button to add it. Choose the application in the list and select “Add“. If the program is not in this list, use the “Browse…
      button to select the program file manually.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Network Shares blocked by firewall

1. Network Shares blocked by firewall - Similar Threads - Network Shares blocked

2. Firewall blocked my wifi network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall blocked my wifi network.: I installed Utorrent web on my windows 10 laptop for downloading some torrent stuff. The next day when I boot my PC a windows firewall setting popped up showing uttorent web app and asking for permission to make the connection secure like saying the wifi in airports,...
  3. Defender firewall block

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender firewall block: This opened when I logged in: Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of SchedulerConsole on all public and private networks. Name: SchedulerConsole Publisher: Unknown Path: C:\program files...
  4. firewall is blocking internet

firewall is blocking internet: how do ifix firewall blocking internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-is-blocking-internet/b1ac89ea-96dd-4476-b7d3-292a5793a415
  5. network/ firewall

network/ firewall: I need to configure the local windows firewall on windows 10 computer. which network category needs to have the most stringent rules set? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-firewall/283f775a-eac6-4586-9e96-2aacc599e7f2
  6. Firewall blocked app

Firewall blocked app: What are the risks of allowing an app through a firewall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-blocked-app/6d58a40d-b823-4d17-b972-67ed5d163a91"
  7. block program in firewall

block program in firewall: How do I block a program from connecting to internet in windows defender firewall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-program-in-firewall/0bf73322-b39c-4884-95e4-06631eeb35d5
  8. Firewall Blocking Internet

Firewall Blocking Internet: I am running Windows 10 Version 1809 Build 17763.292... After updating to this version my internet connection is blocked. What needs to be allowed through through the firewall for my internet to run? It is only having issues when the firewall for private networks is on....
  9. Blocking a program in firewall?

Blocking a program in firewall?: I'm trying to block a program from connecting to the internet and I followed these instructions: How to Block a Program From the Internet in Windows 10 - Simple Help for blocking a program from the windows firewall, but it doesn't seem to work. When I go into the...
  10. After Win 10 Creative Upgrade, Firewall Blocks Network Sharing

After Win 10 Creative Upgrade, Firewall Blocks Network Sharing: I am running Win 10 Pro v1703 (bld 15063.332). We have 2 PCs on our home network and after the Creative upgrade, sharing between PCs broke. After all the usual attempts to fix it since I can ping both system from each (such as DNS issues, networking issues, permissions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows firewall blocking network shares

2. firewall blocking shares