Windows 10: Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files

Discus and support Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi! I have a home network of two fully updated Windows 10 PCs, one wired and one wireless over 5GHz wi-fi. The wired, desktop PC works as a kind of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pcuaron, May 4, 2020.

1. Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files

Hi!

I have a home network of two fully updated Windows 10 PCs, one wired and one wireless over 5GHz wi-fi. The wired, desktop PC works as a kind of file server.

The "network" doesn't seem to have any sort of QoS (Quality of Service) management. If I begin copying a multi-GB file from the laptop to the desktop (which works fine and gives 15 MB/sec transfers), and at the same time I try to do any other thing at all involving the network shares, the second task is slowed to the point of not being able to effectively work. For example, trying to save a code text file located in the network share that I'm editing in the laptop freezes the code editor for 15 seconds or more, while the multi-GB file transfer continues.

Is there any setting that might fix this? It is unreasonable that with such a relatively high bandwidth I cannot do two things at the same time, specially when some of those are not demanding at all.

The questions is more out of curiosity than anything else; while I have encountered this situation several times, it isn't a daily occurrence.

Thanks!!!

submitted by /u/pcuaron
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pcuaron, May 4, 2020
  2. woodson2 Win User

Can't copy/move to network shares from VISTA

Can't copy/move to network shares
    Hello, I have a Vista laptop that can no longer copy or move files to any XP/VISTA or Samba network shares. This was working at one time, but has since stopped. I receive the following error when trying to copy a file from my local drive. There is a problem accessing (path to local file) Please check your network connection etc..etc.. I have turned off the firewall and windows defender, network discovery in on and file sharing enabled(with password auth disabled). the workgroup is set correctly. I tried moving the files I want to copy to the Vista "public" folder and this makes no difference.. the files are very small 20-30kb so size isn't the issue.I've tried disabling UAC to no avail..I also removed Norton Suite from the machine....Like I said this just stopped working...(maybe after a windows update)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

I'm running Vista home premium SP1 32-bit

What I can do.
    1.Create a new file/folder on the same network shares in question.
    2.Copy/move a file from the XP/Samba network share to my Vista machine.
    3. If I create a new text file on the desktop I'm able to copy as expected...strange but true..I looked at the permissions on the newly created file and they are the same as all the other files I'm trying to copy.

woodson2, May 4, 2020
  3. Task Scheduler Tasks copy file to mapped network drive fails

JR, the only other thing that springs to mind is to make sure that the scheduled task is being run as the user that is currently logged on. You note that you are doing this, but make sure that the user name is in the form of machine_name\user_name (assuming that you are in a workgroup and not a domain).

For confirmation, open a command prompt and run the command "whoami". The user name that you specify should look exactly like the output of that command.

If that user is not logged on when the scheduled task is run, then you may need to add the "net use" command as you noted earlier to establish the connection and map the P: drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a sample of what my working task looks like (tested while I am logged on as PYROMANIA\hanness):

Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files [​IMG]

Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files [​IMG]

Here are the contents of the actual batch file:

Code:

hsehestedt, May 4, 2020
  4. robal Win User

Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files

Windows 7 File Sharing between computers, PROBLEMS!!

Don't worry about homegroup. It's just an additional layer (of 'convienience') above 'old' classic Windows Shares mechanism.
    If your transfers are terrible with this setup, they will most probably be as terrible with any other approach.

At first, focus on wired ethernet. Copying a file between HTPC and PC will show you transfer rate. Also... If you go to "task manager", you'll see network speed (network tab).
    Focus on wired ethernet for now... what speeds are you getting ?

Cheers,

robal, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files

1. Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files - Similar Threads - Network shares impossible

2. Using Shadow copy on a network shared file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using Shadow copy on a network shared file: If I revert a file back to the previous version using the shadow copy feature. will it change the access permissions of that folder back to what they were?Or will it keep the current permissions they are set to?It is a network-shared folder within a domain. I need to revert...
  3. Using Shadow copy on a network shared file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Shadow copy on a network shared file: If I revert a file back to the previous version using the shadow copy feature. will it change the access permissions of that folder back to what they were?Or will it keep the current permissions they are set to?It is a network-shared folder within a domain. I need to revert...
  4. Using Shadow copy on a network shared file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files get corrupted while copying over Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files get corrupted while copying over Network: Hi,When I copy Files over my Office network from my laptop to the Office desktop, they frequently get corrupted.Steps to recreate the problem:1. Open a Local Folder on my Laptop in Windows Explorer2. Open a Shared Folder on the Office desktop in Windows Explorer3. Copy a pdf...
  6. Files get corrupted while copying over Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files get corrupted while copying over Network: Hi,When I copy Files over my Office network from my laptop to the Office desktop, they frequently get corrupted.Steps to recreate the problem:1. Open a Local Folder on my Laptop in Windows Explorer2. Open a Shared Folder on the Office desktop in Windows Explorer3. Copy a pdf...
  7. shared network printer...impossible windows 10

shared network printer...impossible windows 10: Hi. I've just bought a new computer with W10 64 home edition 20H2. I used to have my old pc also with W10 64, connect with a shared printer which was usb connected to a W7 netbook with no problems at all. Now I have my new pc with W10 64 20H2 19042.804. I have my old pc...
  8. Task Scheduler Tasks copy file to mapped network drive fails

Task Scheduler Tasks copy file to mapped network drive fails: I've read a dozen or so of the posts regarding Task Scheduler issues - so far haven't seen my issue solved. Tasks which functioned more-or-less in W7 were saved, then imported to a new PC with a fresh install of W10. They seem to have imported intact. They all call batch...
  9. Files Deleted when copied to Network Share

Files Deleted when copied to Network Share: Hello I have two NAS drives A & B. When I copy a large file (+500MB ish) from my Windows 10 laptop to a share on NAS A everything is fine. When I copy the same file from the same Laptop to a share on NAS B the files is deleted. Both NAS drives run the same OS (Linux) and are...
  10. impossible to access network share from system context

impossible to access network share from system context: For a number of reasons I need the system context to be able to access and read certain public network shares. These shares are located on a samba server, and are public read to everyone. Environment is WORKGROUP. My Win10 machine can ping the server sharing the folder, and...