Windows 10: Network shares no longer visible in Explorer

Discus and support Network shares no longer visible in Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two machines: a laptop (Zebedee) and a desktop (Dougal). A couple of days ago I found that the network shares from both machines were no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ricecrispies, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Network shares no longer visible in Explorer

I have two machines: a laptop (Zebedee) and a desktop (Dougal). A couple of days ago I found that the network shares from both machines were no longer visible in Explorer on either machine. I noticed this after Zebedee (but not Dougal) had been upgraded to Windows 10 version 1709. Another reboot seems to have got the share from Zebedee working again (I can access it on both machines), but the same trick hasn't worked for Dougal.

On Dougal I have two shares: Users and Data (which is what I call my second partition). At the moment I cannot see either of them in Explorer unless I go into the Advanced Sharing settings for either one and disable sharing. Then Dougal appears in the Network tab of Explorer on Dougal only (i.e. not on Zebedee), but not as a "computer". Rather it appears as "unspecified". If I click on it I get to see and browse the folder for which sharing has not been disabled, and if I then re-enable sharing for the other folder I can see that too. However if I go back to the main Network tab, Dougal is no longer there.

How can I get Dougal's shares working again properly?

:)

ricecrispies, Oct 27, 2017

2. My network shares are hidden all of a sudden. How do I unhide them?

On one of my machines the shared folders have suddenly become hidden for no apparent reason. The computer is called Dougal, but Dougal does not appear in Explorer's network tab, either on this machine or my other one. However if I type \\dougal in the
    address bar, then Dougal's shares become visible. How can I make Dougal visible in the network browser again?

swamp#thing, Oct 27, 2017
  3. Network shares no longer accessible after Windows 10 1607 update

Had same lack of internet connection after the update to 1607. Local IP only. Nothing would repair or resolve it.

As a last effort before looking to roll back, I uninstalled/removed the Ethernet adapter (built-in Realtek PCI GBE) including the installed software/drivers in Device Manager. After the reboot, was asked if I wished to enable local sharing, and then found
    the network was back.

The issue was only in Windows 10 and did not effect the router or a dual boot version Windows 7 on the same machine.

Canadian Guber, Oct 27, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

Network shares no longer visible in Explorer

On both PC's. Open "Advanced Network sharing". make sure that under All Networks, the passwords on both "Turn off".

Right click on "Data" ->Properties->Security. Add "Everyone" user if not existed and set permission to full. Do the same for "User"

NOTE: Upgrade to 1709 will reset some settings back to default.

topgundcp, Oct 27, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    I am not sure if this is a change but I today I discovered both pcs on my lan have to have a private profile as well for shared networks to be displayed.

I could not see a remote network in file explorer even though I could rdp to remote pc.

I spent ages checking settings, all looked fine. I was stumped, and then I realised remote pc was connecting with a public wifi profile, not a private one. I changed remote pc profile to private and bamm - it was now visible in file explorer.

cereberus, Oct 27, 2017
  6. Thanks for your replies.

topgundcp, I don't understand why you recommend turning password protection off. Won't that just create a big security hole? In any case it's not turned off on Zebedee, and I can see Zebedee's share fine.

Dougal's share "Users" already gives permission to "everyone", but it's still not visible.

cereberus, Dougal is attached to the router via ethernet, and in any case I can't even see Dougal's shares on Dougal. I'm having trouble seeing how that could be due to its connection to the LAN.

ricecrispies, Oct 28, 2017
  7. I have some more information. It turns out that Dougal's shares are there, but they are simply not displayed in the Network tab. If I put \\dougal in the address bar, I can see them. Is there a way to make them properly visible?

8. cereberus Win User

Being ethernet or wifi does not affect if profile is private or public.

How to change the Windows 10 network type from Public to Private - www.photosync-app.com

Check all profiles are set to private.

cereberus, Oct 28, 2017
  9. It is already set to private.

10. johnpd Win User
    This is a known issue that appeared with the release of the original Creators Update in April. The Fall version did not fix it. Read the below forum thread that explains how people have tried to fix it, in most cases they were not successful.

Anyone else notice network issues with CU

The only temporary fix is what you found, entering the UNC name for the computer (\\computer-name) in the Network address bar.

JohnD

johnpd, Oct 28, 2017
  11. Thanks for the info, johnpd. I guess I'll just need to be patient for the time being...

12. blueribb Win User
    I'm no network expert but from my experience with Kodi and Libreelec, I was told that Windows Network Browsing no longer works because SMB1 was removed. The new SMB2 + 3 require login and password credentials and the smb share path "may" require the IP address rather than the name. Example: smb://kitchen-pc (old) smb://192.168.1.7 (new)

blueribb, Oct 30, 2017
  13. Eagle51 Win User

Eagle51, Oct 30, 2017
  14. blueribb, that doesn't explain why it works on one machine but not on the other, given that they are both running the same version of Windows 10.

On a separate subject, I should also add to what I said earlier that I have discovered that when I find Dougal's shares by putting \\dougal in the address box, I only get read-only access.

ricecrispies, Oct 30, 2017
  15. johnpd Win User
    Have not noticed that although I am usually copying files from one to the other, not directly editing a file on one system from another. Do you use the same login for both systems? Have you checked the permissions you have set up?

JohnD

johnpd, Oct 31, 2017
Thema:

1. Network shares no longer visible in Explorer - Similar Threads - Network shares longer

2. Apple Shared Albums No Longer Visible in Photos Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apple Shared Albums No Longer Visible in Photos Apps: Only recently has the shared albums disappeared from this App. I was enjoying seeing some access to the many albums shared with me in the IOS world.Was this by design ?...
  3. Apple Shared Albums No Longer Visible in Photos Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apple Shared Albums No Longer Visible in Photos Apps: Only recently has the shared albums disappeared from this App. I was enjoying seeing some access to the many albums shared with me in the IOS world.Was this by design ?...
  4. My Ethernet NETWORK drive is no longer visible under File Explorer/Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Ethernet NETWORK drive is no longer visible under File Explorer/Network: Since installing W11 update KB5030310 I no longer have visibility of my network storage device that was under File Explorer/Network/????. I uninstalled the update and rebooted. Did not fix. I do however see the storage device under 'This PC' but I am not allowed to delete any...
  5. My Ethernet NETWORK drive is no longer visible under File Explorer/Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Ethernet NETWORK drive is no longer visible under File Explorer/Network: Since installing W11 update KB5030310 I no longer have visibility of my network storage device that was under File Explorer/Network/????. I uninstalled the update and rebooted. Did not fix. I do however see the storage device under 'This PC' but I am not allowed to delete any...
  6. Shared Folders visible, Shared Files not visible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared Folders visible, Shared Files not visible: Running Windows 10 Pro, 2004 on the host machine I have a problem with shared files not showing on any remote devices. Shared folders and subfolders are visible, but the files within the folders cannot be seen on other Win 10 machines, with Android and other devices...
  7. Set Top Box used to appear in Network Explorer, no is no longer visible

Set Top Box used to appear in Network Explorer, no is no longer visible: I have a Set Top Box connected via ethernet to my modem. Network Explorer used to show both of the STB's hard drives as connected now it no longer does. I can log into my modem and see that the STB has an IP address and is indeed connected to the internet via the modem but...
  8. Shares no longer automatically visible after upgrade to build 15063

Shares no longer automatically visible after upgrade to build 15063: I have a laptop and desktop that have both been upgraded to Win10 Pro build 15063.138. The desktop has half a dozen folders shared so that the laptop can access them. Sharing was working without any problem prior to the upgrade, but after upgrading the machines to this latest...
  9. SAMBA share visible in Explorer, but cannot accress

SAMBA share visible in Explorer, but cannot accress: I have SAMBA shares on a debian server. I can see the shares in Explorer. When I doubble click I am asked for credentials, but when I enter the correct (more than double and triple checked) credentials I get an error indicating that the error is due multiple connections....
  10. Shared Drives no longer visible in Explorer

Shared Drives no longer visible in Explorer: Hi,I know that there have been similar posts with similar issues. I have read the more but they are not exactly the same and I have tried some of the solutions posted but they have not worked.I have a desktop computer and a surface pro. The problem is with the desktop...