Windows 10: Network shares unaccessible, or network not visible anymore, a lot of netowkring problems

Discus and support Network shares unaccessible, or network not visible anymore, a lot of netowkring problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, in past month I've had dozen of issues reported from different clients, all related to networking malfunction, mostly after some Windows updates.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndrejPirman, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Network shares unaccessible, or network not visible anymore, a lot of netowkring problems

Hi,

in past month I've had dozen of issues reported from different clients, all related to networking malfunction, mostly after some Windows updates. The symptoms are:

• One client reports that majority of Windows PCs in their LAN simply do not see servers and network shares anymore. Hovever, if they manually type UNC path \\SERVER\Share into Windows Explorer, they CAN reach the share. But 100+ people were used to simply browse the network and navigate to desired share that way. Now most of PCs do not see ANY computer on network anymore.
    • Another client reports, that approximatelly half of computers do not have access permissions to network shares anymore. When they navigate to network share, they get error, something like this:
      \\share is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use the network resource....
      The problem is, that they are not asked for permissions anymore, like it was in the past. Those are variety of PCs, some Win7, mostly Win10 Pro, some updated to latest 2004, but most of them on 1909 or lower. Server was NOT updated, at least not manually.
    • Another client cannot access RDP connections anymore from some 30% of their PCs. They have a bunch of RDP connections from one PC to another due to the nature of their business, but all RDPs are within LAN. Now all of the sudden some PCs simply throw RDP error, like:
      Remote desktop cannot connect to remote computer for one of these reasons....
      I would understand if this was ONE PC. But no, involved are so many computers, different branch, different OS versions, I simply cannot find any pattern.

Is it full moon or what?

I suspect Microsoft disabled some networking features silently in background, maybe some minor updates in the background, which had major consequences. Anybody knows of something like this in past month or two?

:)

AndrejPirman, Sep 3, 2020

2. My computer is not visible on network

Resetting the network settings may help reconfigure settings that may help resolve the issue. Since the issue still persists, we suggest checking the Advance sharing settings if network discovery is turned on. Follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click Network and Internet.
    • Click Network and Sharing Center.
    • Click Change advanced sharing settings in the left pane.
    • Under the Private section, make sure that Turn on network discovery is selected.
    • Click Save changes.
    Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you further.

Martin Bar, Sep 3, 2020
  3. Shared Windows 10 network folders not visible in homegroup

The title basically says it all ... I have a Windows 10 pc in a private network with 4 external hdds attached. On these drives, I have shared a number of folders. In the Explorer, these folders are shown as type Share in the Network section. In the Homegroup section of the Explorer however, only some of my shared folders are visible. And I cannot access the other folders from other computers in my network. To make it even more frustrating, on the same external hdd some folders may be accessed in the Homegroup, and others not, even though I have gone through the exactly same motions with all these folders when sharing them. I would appreciate any and all suggestions and help to solve this problem!

John of Leiden, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Network shares unaccessible, or network not visible anymore, a lot of netowkring problems

Help needed with simple wired network

Step one- Connect all PC's to router, and then the router to the modem. PC's go to router by the ports labeled "1-4" on the back of the router. WAN port goes to router. Power up all network equipment, and then systems.
    Step two- Power on the computer connected to port one. Go into router settings at 192.168.0.1 and configure internet, dyndns, firewall, etc.
    Step three- Go to "network set up wizard" in windows. (Network places- network set up wizard). The rest is self explanatory.
    Step four- right click on each drive and printer you want to share, and then configure sharing preferences. Should be easy enough.
    Step five- right click my computer, and the select "map network drive". Using the network address for each piece of hardware you shared, assign network drive letters.

Congratulations, you have a fully operational network. Happy Gaming! *Toast :toast:

zekrahminator, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

Network shares unaccessible, or network not visible anymore, a lot of netowkring problems

1. Network shares unaccessible, or network not visible anymore, a lot of netowkring problems - Similar Threads - Network shares unaccessible

2. Network not visible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network not visible: So, unc paths are not resolving anymore. Just started happening.Windows 11EG: \\server\share will not show anything.Other machines can see the share just fine. Quite a problem happening on the Admins computer.any suggestions ?NOTE: Most of the suggestions have already been...
  3. Network not visible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network not visible: So, unc paths are not resolving anymore. Just started happening.Windows 11EG: \\server\share will not show anything.Other machines can see the share just fine. Quite a problem happening on the Admins computer.any suggestions ?NOTE: Most of the suggestions have already been...
  4. Network visibility

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network visibility: Just got a new modem and my W10 won't see it but does see some others. What can I do? I have rebooted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-visibility/c79d97d3-c6c8-4348-b742-5feced4ce874
  5. Permissions Problem in Network Sharing

Permissions Problem in Network Sharing: The last Windows update completely destroyed my computer so I had to do a reset and reinstall all of my programs. The last remaining problem is with network permissions/sharing. The other two computers call them 2 and 3 in the office can see my computer and have full...
  6. Network Sharing Problem

Network Sharing Problem: Hi, I run Windows 10. I am having a lot of problems trying to set up an network with a computer using Windows 7. There is too many problems to list here at one time so I will start with one that I don't understand. 1. When I click on a hard drive an then right click on it...
  7. Network sharing problem

Network sharing problem: Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet. There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home...
  8. Network sharing problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Network sharing problem: Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet. There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home...
  9. Problem with network sharing

Problem with network sharing: Hi all, I am having a small problem with sharing files from this PC to other devices. What happens is that every time I restart the PC the other devices on the network can no longer access it's shared folders. Using the netstat /ano command I can see that port 445 is not...
  10. Network shares no longer visible in Explorer

Network shares no longer visible in Explorer: I have two machines: a laptop (Zebedee) and a desktop (Dougal). A couple of days ago I found that the network shares from both machines were no longer visible in Explorer on either machine. I noticed this after Zebedee (but not Dougal) had been upgraded to Windows 10 version...