Windows 10: Network Sharing Help - Computer shows but not the user

Discus and support Network Sharing Help - Computer shows but not the user in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, I am operating a PC and a laptop on Windows 10 (both HP). I have, so I think, enabled all networking share options as to be able to access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/margheritinka, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Network Sharing Help - Computer shows but not the user

Hi all, I am operating a PC and a laptop on Windows 10 (both HP). I have, so I think, enabled all networking share options as to be able to access each's files from the other. I can access the laptop's user and files from the desktop but not vice versa.

From my laptop, when I go to networks, I can see my desktop. I click user and the user (johnsmith) doesn't come up. Only the public folder.

When I google for help, the results are only for not being able to see the computer and don't resolve my issue. I can see the computer and can access a public folder, but the main user is missing.

Each computer only have one user and the user is the admin in both cases. Password sharing is off, everything is as open as possible.

Not sure if this is relevant: My only issue when setting up the desktop on the network was I kept getting an error about network credentials. When I added credentials, they didn't work. So I followed some online instructions and used the IP address as the username. I didn't have to do that to set up the laptop on the network and in fact my Microsoft sign in worked with no issue. I could not use my microsoft sign in as my credentials for the desktop.

submitted by /u/margheritinka
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/margheritinka, Apr 10, 2021

2. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Apr 10, 2021
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. Network Sharing Help - Computer shows but not the user

Help needed with simple wired network

Step one- Connect all PC's to router, and then the router to the modem. PC's go to router by the ports labeled "1-4" on the back of the router. WAN port goes to router. Power up all network equipment, and then systems.
    Step two- Power on the computer connected to port one. Go into router settings at 192.168.0.1 and configure internet, dyndns, firewall, etc.
    Step three- Go to "network set up wizard" in windows. (Network places- network set up wizard). The rest is self explanatory.
    Step four- right click on each drive and printer you want to share, and then configure sharing preferences. Should be easy enough.
    Step five- right click my computer, and the select "map network drive". Using the network address for each piece of hardware you shared, assign network drive letters.

Congratulations, you have a fully operational network. Happy Gaming! *Toast :toast:

zekrahminator, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

Network Sharing Help - Computer shows but not the user

1. Network Sharing Help - Computer shows but not the user - Similar Threads - Network Sharing Help

2. File Sharing Network User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Network User: Hello! I'm trying to setup a file to be shared specifically between two users on different computers. I know how to share files across a network for everyone, and how to share the file with a user on the same computer. However, how do I get only those two users on different...
  3. File Sharing Network User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Sharing Network User: Hello! I'm trying to setup a file to be shared specifically between two users on different computers. I know how to share files across a network for everyone, and how to share the file with a user on the same computer. However, how do I get only those two users on different...
  4. File Sharing Network User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network shares not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network shares not showing: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 and trying to access my NAS via wired LAN.If I go to Network, the NAS shows under the "storage" section below "computer", "media devices" and "other devices", but when I click on it, it just displays the configuration webpage, not the shared...
  6. Network shares not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network shares not showing: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 and trying to access my NAS via wired LAN.If I go to Network, the NAS shows under the "storage" section below "computer", "media devices" and "other devices", but when I click on it, it just displays the configuration webpage, not the shared...
  7. Network shares not showing

8. Sharing on local network with a computer using an AzureAD user

Sharing on local network with a computer using an AzureAD user: Hello!I've been trying to log on to a PC on my network, but I have no idea about what the username can be on the other PC. Looking at the User settings in Control Panel I can see a "AzureAD/*name*". The e-mail address belonging to that user is *** Email address is removed for...
  9. User folder in network sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User folder in network sharing: [ATTACH] Hello, i want to ask, my network folder showing 'Users' and if i delete this folder from Computer Management > Shared Folder > Shares, will it damage the system or user? Thank you....
  10. Help On File sharing via my computer network

Help On File sharing via my computer network: Please help. My old computer (windows 10) is failing so I bought a new and more powerful computer. I am to the point where I am trying to establish file sharing. With my old computers, I simply set all the file sharing setting the same on both computers and I can share files...