Windows 10: Network sharing problem

Discus and support Network sharing problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by martinlest, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Network sharing problem

Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet.

There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home Edition). All three PCs show the other two in the 'network places', but only one is working as I'd want. So:

PC 1 (Windows 7) Sees the other Win7 PC and accesses all the shared folders there. Also sees the Win10 laptop and acesses the shared folders there. So this one is working.

PC 2 (Windows 7). Sees and accesses the shared folders on PC 1, but although it sees the Win 10 laptop, a Network password box opens when I try to connect to it.

Laptop (Windows 10). Sees PC 1 and PC 2. When I access PC 1, it goes to the default Documents folder (I assume), containing subfolders 'Pictures', 'Music' 'Videos' & 'Playlists'. I can't see how to access the shared folders on PC 1. When I try to access PC 2, I get a message saying that the PC is denying access. "Contact the owner of the media server"...

I tried turning off password-protected sharing in the laptop's advanced options. When I do that, instead of the Network Password box in PC 2, it just searches and searches for the laptop and never finds it. The same now with PC 1 - with the password-sharing off on the laptop, PC 1 no longer finds it. Turn the password-sharing option back on and PC 1 is fine again and PC 2 brings up the network password box again.

I have permissions set properly for all the shared folders...

Does any of this make sense? What I'd like to achieve is:

1. Have PC 2 access the Win10 laptop in the same way that PC 1 does (i.e. instantly shows the shared folders). I can't see why PC 2 isn't doing this as well. I have no idea what to enter in the network password box anyway (user name?), but it seems I should be able to stop this box appearing in the first place?
    2. Ideally have the laptop show the shared folders on the two Win7 PCs, though I can manage fine doing file copies the other way, once I get PC 2 to work as does PC 1.

Hope that's all clear!! Haven't found any other 'solution' applicable to Home Editions by Googling, apart from turning off password-sharing (which has, as I say, odd results in my setup).

Thanks,

Martin

:)

martinlest, Sep 27, 2018

2. Network Sharing Password Problems

Hi William,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Network Troubleshooter and check, if this helps.

• In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooter’, and then click ‘Troubleshooting’.
    • Under ‘Network and Internet’, click ‘Internet Connections
    • Follow the on screen instructions.
    Step 2: Update Network Adapter.

• Right click on Start button, type Device Manager and Enter.

• Now click on your Network Adapter.

• Right click and click on Properties, and go to Driver tab and click on
      Update driver.
    Also, refer: Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/...2&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Note: Applies to windows 10 as well.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Sep 27, 2018
  3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Sep 27, 2018
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Network sharing problem

Network and sharing

Hi,

We see that you are having issues accessing the shared drive on your network. To assist you further, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer or network prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

Network sharing problem

1. Network sharing problem - Similar Threads - Network sharing problem

2. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  3. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  4. Network share odd problem?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network share odd problem?: Every time I try to copy a .ctd file directly onto my network share, the file gets completely emptied unless I zip it and then copy it into the share. Anyone have an idea why this could be and what I could do? submitted by /u/spiderbitch4003 [link] [comments]...
  5. Permissions Problem in Network Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permissions Problem in Network Sharing: The last Windows update completely destroyed my computer so I had to do a reset and reinstall all of my programs. The last remaining problem is with network permissions/sharing. The other two computers call them 2 and 3 in the office can see my computer and have full...
  6. Windows network sharing problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows network sharing problems: I am running 5 computers (2 of which are laptops) are having serious problems connecting and seeing each other The names of the computers are: ENDERPC, ENDERLAPTOP, MASTER, TATA, KOTKA (laptop) ENDERPC can see everyone but can only access ENDERLAPTOP ENDERLAPTOP can see...
  7. Network Sharing Problem

Network Sharing Problem: Hi, I run Windows 10. I am having a lot of problems trying to set up an network with a computer using Windows 7. There is too many problems to list here at one time so I will start with one that I don't understand. 1. When I click on a hard drive an then right click on it...
  8. Network sharing problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Network sharing problem: Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet. There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home...
  9. Problem with network sharing

Problem with network sharing: Hi all, I am having a small problem with sharing files from this PC to other devices. What happens is that every time I restart the PC the other devices on the network can no longer access it's shared folders. Using the netstat /ano command I can see that port 445 is not...
  10. Network file sharing problems

Network file sharing problems: I’m having perplexing difficulty getting two Windows 10 desktop computers to share files over my network. The setup of the two computers (names OFFICE-PC and TVROOM) is entirely symmetric (same network and sharing options, same Workgroup, same HomeGroup),yet TVROOM can access...