Windows 10: Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Discus and support Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem. Let's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tiger Schnee, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem.

Let's say my main PC is PC A, and my second PC is PC B. When I try to access files on B from A, everything works fine. But when I try to access A from B in Network, it needs me to enter network credentials. Weird thing is, if I type in my new Microsoft account password, it will say ' The user name or password is incorrect ', I need to type in my previous password in order to access A. Problem is, every time after I shut down, or restart on B, and try to access A, it requires me to enter network credentials with a red ' The user name or password is incorrect ' at the pop up window's bottom, despite I clicked remember. And more weird thing is, if I tried to enter my current password in that popup, it will say ' The user name or password is incorrect ', but after I close the popup, I can access A!

Both PC's network is set to private. They have the same setting in Advanced sharing settings. I have turned off password protected sharing on both PC.

So is there any way to let me use Network on B just like it is on A? I do not want to open File Explorer and enter the password again every time I start my PC.

***original title: Network Share Password Problem***

:)

Tiger Schnee, Jul 5, 2019

2. Turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing.

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. We recommend you to follow the steps mentioned below to turn on password protected sharing over a network.

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Click on Network and Sharing Center.

3. Click on Change advanced sharing settings on the left pane.

4. Expand All Networks profile.

5. Check the radio button behind Turn on password protected sharing.

6. Click on Save changes.

We also recommend you to refer
    Files Sharing over a network in Windows 10
    for more detailed information.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Jul 5, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing is not there

Hi Ankit,

Is this the exact process/steps you are using?

Open Control Panel

Go to Network and Sharing Center

Select Change advanced sharing settings in the left pane

Expand the network you want to disable password protected sharing on by clicking the down arrow on the right of the profile

Select 'Turn off password protected sharing' and then click Save changes.

DaveM121, Jul 5, 2019
  4. mingle Win User

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!

Hi Guys,

This is a curious one.

I have three PCs (two desktop and one laptop) all running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1607).

Each system has a shared partition, set up exactly the same, which has sharing set for 'everyone', with 'full control'.

Password protected sharing is turned off on each system (in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings").

Each of the desktop systems can access each other's shared and also the laptop's shared partition.

The problem is when I try to use the laptop to access the shares on either of the desktop systems, I get a pop-up requester asking for a username and password. (see below - the laptop is "T400" and one of the desktops is "A960").

Any idea why this would be happening? I've checked the settings on all systems (sharing and network) and can see not reason for the password prompt appearing.

Previously I was running Win 10 Pro 64-bit (1511) on all three systems and never encountered this error.

Cheers,

Mike.

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10 [​IMG]

mingle, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

1. Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Network Sharing prompts

2. Password protected sharing over Network sharing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password protected sharing over Network sharing: How can we turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing,thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protected-sharing-over-network-sharing/635517ef-5d29-4e18-80f5-43c8896e6ac9"
  3. Turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing.: how do I set up a password for netwotk sharing? ***Modified Title from: How do I set up a password for network sharing*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-password-protected-sharing-over-network/04c4ee71-adcd-45ea-90be-e35904259e1e
  4. Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...: Hi support team I want to turn off the password protected sharing on my PC. So, the other users available on the same network can access my shared folder without entering any user credentials. To do that I entered into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and...
  5. Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing: We are looking for a way to turn off password protected sharing either programmatically or through some type of scripting (cmd, powershell, etc.) for Windows 10 1607. It is the option in Advanced Sharing Settings (All Networks) in Network and Sharing Center. We can...
  6. Network share ignores password protected sharing

Network share ignores password protected sharing: I am trying to make a shared folder on my network that is only accessible to me and cannot be viewed by other users.When I create the share, no matter how I set permissions, the folder becomes accessible to everyone on the network. This is the case whether I use a homegroup...
  7. Advanced Shared Settings won't turn "off" password protected sharing

Advanced Shared Settings won't turn "off" password protected sharing: I'm trying to set up homegroup networking with other household computers. My new HP/Windows 10 is asking for a password. When I go to control panel, network & internet, network & sharing center, advanced sharing settings, all networks and select "turn off password protected...
  8. Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell

Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell: How can I use PowerShell to turn on/off "Password Protected Sharing" setting in Advanced sharing settings? 66136
  9. Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!

Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!: Hi Guys, This is a curious one. I have three PCs (two desktop and one laptop) all running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1607). Each system has a shared partition, set up exactly the same, which has sharing set for 'everyone', with 'full control'. Password protected...
  10. Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10 When password protected sharing is turned on, only people who have a Public folders. If you wanted to give access to shared files to other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 network prompts for a password