Windows 10: Network slows down dramatically shortly after connecting

Discus and support Network slows down dramatically shortly after connecting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've decided to reimage my Dell XPS 9360 and started to experience serious networking problems right after the fresh Windows install. The previous OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mikolajek, Apr 3, 2019.

1. mikolajek Win User

Network slows down dramatically shortly after connecting

I've decided to reimage my Dell XPS 9360 and started to experience serious networking problems right after the fresh Windows install. The previous OS installation became unstable but I had no network speed problems at all.

The device is equipped with Realtek USB GBE Controller, which means I need to use the USB adapter to connect the network cable. I can also use the network port built into my TB16 dock, but those docks are known to cause problems and they used to have a bug limiting network speed to 100 Mbps only.

OK, what happens - I install Windows, then latest version of drivers available on Dell's website, and finally run Window Update. When I first connect the cable I am able to get my full expected speed - 500 Mbps, but shortly after the next test shows approx 200 Mbps and few minutes later it's only 80-90 Mbps and this speed remains.

When I unplug the adapter or disable/enable network adapter, for a while I still have 500 Mbps and then the story repeats.

It looks there's some very recent update component that causes this - with my old install I had full speed, and I did a test by measuring the speed before running Windows Update - and the speed was around 500 Mbps constantly.

I've applied some common ethernet optimizations (e.g. turn off offloads, disable energy efficient enthernet etc.), but it wouldn't help - the issue is clearly linked to some Windows component.

Anyone can advise me on this? What else can I try?

:)

mikolajek, Apr 3, 2019

2. Losing network connection

Hello Dear, if you have a laptop or a PC with a wireless network adapter, you can see a list of available wireless networks and then connect to one of those networks. The wireless networks will only appear if your PC has a wireless network adapter installed, the adapter is turned on, and the wireless access point is in range.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

2. In the left pane, under Network Tasks, click View available wireless networks.
    In case, If you don't see the network you want to connect to, click Refresh network list. If you see the network but the signal is weak, move the PC closer to the wireless router.

3. Click the network you want to connect to, and then click Connect.

4. If you're connecting to a secure network, type the security key, and then click OK.

I Hope you solve out your query soon.

martinkaren77, Apr 3, 2019
  3. Mel Tar Win User
    No network connection

Hello Graham,

To resolve your concern about wireless network issues, please click the link below and follow the suggested troubleshooting steps:

Let us know how it goes.

Mel Tar, Apr 3, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Slow internet connection from Wifi - Network adaptor

Hi Maegen,

Slow internet connection could be due to outdated network adapter driver or Wi-Fi signal interruptions.

We would like to know some additional information to better isolate the issue:

• Have you tried updating your network adapter driver?
    • Do you have any anti-virus or 3rd party security app running?
    • Is your computer updating Windows or other programs?
    • Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try to run Network Adapter troubleshooter and
    Internet Connection troubleshooter. It will find and fix problems with wireless network adapters and Internet connections. Follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Settings.
    • Click Update & Security, then choose Troubleshoot.
    • Click Internet Connections and Network Adapter.
    • Click Run the troubleshooter.

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Apr 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Network slows down dramatically shortly after connecting - Similar Threads - Network slows down

2. WIFI slows down, returns to normal after "forgetting Network Connection"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIFI slows down, returns to normal after "forgetting Network Connection": Hey Everyone,I´m having a problem with my internet in the past month, with no luck finding the solution so far...My internet speed wifi in my Lenovo ThinkPad is usually around 300Mbps for Download and Upload. Then sundenly drops to around 15 to 20Mbps and stays like that.If I...
  3. WIFI slows down, returns to normal after "forgetting Network Connection"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIFI slows down, returns to normal after "forgetting Network Connection": Hey Everyone,I´m having a problem with my internet in the past month, with no luck finding the solution so far...My internet speed wifi in my Lenovo ThinkPad is usually around 300Mbps for Download and Upload. Then sundenly drops to around 15 to 20Mbps and stays like that.If I...
  4. WIFI slows down, returns to normal after "forgetting Network Connection"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in: Computer: Microsoft Surface Book 2CPU: Intel Pentium 4415yRAM: 8GB 1600ghzWhen I plug in my computer, everything is fine up until about 15 minutes later when the computer slows down to a screeching halt. I don't think this is thermal throttling, as when I'm doing my normal...
  6. Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in: Computer: Microsoft Surface Book 2CPU: Intel Pentium 4415yRAM: 8GB 1600ghzWhen I plug in my computer, everything is fine up until about 15 minutes later when the computer slows down to a screeching halt. I don't think this is thermal throttling, as when I'm doing my normal...
  7. Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. file transfer dramatically slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file transfer dramatically slow: I have an issue with slow file transfer windows 10. I am almost sure it has nothing to do with the network settings. I have one application and: 1. If launched from local drive works perfect 2. If launched from mapped drive same folder on the same hdd works very slow 3. If...
  9. Dramatically slow performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dramatically slow performance: My Windows 10 laptop has been dramatically slow for the last 8-10 days. It has 4GB DDR4 RAM & HDD 1TB harddrive. Nowadays most of the time the RAM and Harddrive look 100% full. [ATTACH] What should I do?...
  10. Programs dramatically slow down or lock up computer after Win10 instal

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Programs dramatically slow down or lock up computer after Win10 instal: In November I put have a fresh Windows 10 install (old one was freaking out on me and Fall Creators Update fully hosed it) and got new Coffee Lake CPU/Mem/MB while I was at it. I was really expecting a performance boost over my 2nd gen i5. Instead I got a laggy system. It...