Windows 10: Network status and WiFi options completely disappeared on my computer, wont even let me...

Discus and support Network status and WiFi options completely disappeared on my computer, wont even let me... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sigiant2300 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eer44n/network_status_and_wifi_options_completely/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sigiant2300, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Network status and WiFi options completely disappeared on my computer, wont even let me...

/u/Sigiant2300, Dec 23, 2019

2. Wifi Option Disappearing on computer.

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • Have you installed all the pending Windows updates?

I suggest you to follow the below suggestion provided by Kiran Kishore replied on November 2, 2015 and check if it helps.

WiFi and Bluetooth Options Disappeared

You may refer to the below article “Connectivity” and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/connectivity

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 23, 2019
  3. BobSter2 Win User
    Wifi Network Adaptor disappearing - HW or SW? How to fix?

Hi

I'm having wifi problems with my lappy, but I can't figure-out whether it is hardware or software. There is evidence to suggest that recent versions of Windows 10 have been causing wifi problems. If the problem _is_ with Windows and they are going to fix it, then I can stop worrying about trying to fix the hardware (I am travelling abroad and it is near-impossible to find expertise/parts/tools).

Gory Details:

System: Levono Yoga2 Pro laptop. Intel Core i7-4500U. 8GB RAM. Windows 10 64 bit.
    I have been using Windows 10 since it came out without any problems. I have been keeping it updated.

Precursor to this problem: On 4th November 2016, mid-session, apropos of nothing, my wifi stopped seeing the wifi network it was connected to; or any other wifi networks. (My phone could see plenty). This was evidenced in the Taskbar, Action centre, Settings dialogs of the PC. The Windows version was upto date at the time, but downloading the next week's Microsoft Patch Tuesday updates (9th Nov) fixed the problem. System working AOK. Yay.
    (MS update: KB3200970 "Addressed issue with the system tray showing no Wi-Fi connection even when Wi-Fi is present")

System fixed - I made a system-restore point.

The "fix" held for 24 hours, then a new, more severe problem started occurring (='the current problem').

Current problem: After 3 to 5 hours of normal, troublefree operation, the PC stops seeing the wifi entirely. Any menu options associated with wifi networking disappear entirely. The Device Manager can no longer see the Network Adapter (Intel Wireless-N 7260) or its driver software. (That statement is somewhat summmarised - see Note 1 at the bottom of this post for more details).

None of the Events in Event Viewer explain the disappearing Network Adapter.

If I do a (whole) system restore back to my restore point, then everything is fine-and-dandy for a few hours, then the Network Adapter disappears again, along with any chance of seeing any wifi controls.

System Restore consistently fixes it for a few hours. Then the Network (adapter) consistently disappears again.

- - -

So, is that hardware or software?

One might think it is temperture/overheating related, but the problem also once occurred overnight when the PC was switched off (it was fine when I went to bed and switched it off, but was 'broken' when I switched it on again in the morning).

One might think it is Virus related, but everything shows-up clean in MBAM and Avast.

If it is a hardware problem, why would a system restore (to a point a few days ago) fix it?

I'm thinking/hoping that the problem is caused by recent versions of Windows 10 (f,g below). But I can't find examples of other people suffering.

If it _is_ caused by the OS, how does one inform Microsoft about it? (I don't want to join the 'Insiders Community')

Any ideas?

TIA

-----------------------------------------
    p.s. I have done as much diagnostics as possible - gory details here:

Note: the text "Result: FAIL" means that after a few hours of normal operation, AOK, the Intel Wireless-N 7260 Network Adapter can suddenly not be detected and any wifi activity/option becomes unavailable. Restart doesn't help. Restoring the system to a previous state fixes the problem (for a few hours).

Scenarios a-e all have the wifi switched on and connected to a wifi network.
    a) System status up-to-date at 10 Nov. Result: FAIL

b) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in OCTOBER 2016: Result: FAIL

c) System status up-to-date at 10 Nov. Updated Network Adapter DRIVER to a newer version found by Device Manager (but not listed in the manufacturer's website's list of drivers). Result: FAIL

d) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in AUGUST. Retained old NA driver. Downloaded and applied November 9th MS Updates and updated Browser (Firefox) Version and Virus definitions: Result: FAIL

e) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in August. Retained old NA driver. Update Browser (Firefox) Version and Virus definitions, but DID NOT download/apply November 9th MS Update: Result: RUNS FINE FOR THE 4 HOURS UNTIL MS FORCES THE LATEST MS OS UPDATES TO BE APPLIED, then runs OK for a few hours then FAILs.

Scenarios f-g have the wifi switched OFF; or switched on but not connected to a wifi network; so that Automatic Updates can't be forced onto the computer.

f) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in August. Wifi switched OFF. Result: RUNS FINE FOR THE 14 hours I tested it. (i.e. the Network Adapter appears to be fine, as reported by the Device Manager)

g) (follows on from (f))... Wifi now switched ON but options set to "forget" known wifi networks, (so wifi is ON and polling nearby networks, but is not connected to any of them). Result: RUNS FINE FOR THE 6 hours I have (so far) tested it. (i.e. the Network Adapter appears to be fine as reported by the Device Manager)

Conclusion: f and g seem to suggest that the problem arises from later (current) versions of Windows 10. But this is inconclusive, because in scenario (f), the wifi card is not being used and and (g) it isn't being used for sending/receiving internet traffic

(N.B. I am abroad and using my hotel's wifi network(s) to try and use the internet. I have no control over the network itself).

----------------------

Note 1:

When I say "The device manager can no longer see the Network Adapter" - this is a _summary_ of what happens - infact, it seems to go through 4 separate stages:

1) normal operation - everything AOK.
    2) The PC reports it is still seeing the wifi connnection that it is/was connected to, but is seeing no other wifi networks. The wifi network it connected to can no longer send/receive any data
    3) The Device Manager shows a yellow warning triangle on Network adapters> Intel Wireless-N 7260, and 'Properties' shows "No drivers are installed for this device."
    4a) The Device Manager shows a yellow warning triangle on Network adapters> Intel Wireless-N 7260 and Properties shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10). This device does not exist."
    or
    4b) Device Manager, Network adapters> doesn't show Intel Wireless-N 7260 at all.

A few minutes pass between each step through the stages occurring. Other apps running on the PC (e.g. mp3 player) freeze up for a couple of seconds when each stage changes to the next.

BobSter2, Dec 23, 2019
  4. Jodi koh Win User

Network status and WiFi options completely disappeared on my computer, wont even let me...

Wifi option disappeared

My laptop no longer has the wifi button, it only allows me to use the internet using Ethernet. When I looked for the wifi option is the network settings, it is completely gone, all I have is the VPN, Ethernet etc. The methods that were listed didn't help
    me with this problem.

Please help.

Jodi koh, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

Network status and WiFi options completely disappeared on my computer, wont even let me...

1. Network status and WiFi options completely disappeared on my computer, wont even let me... - Similar Threads - Network status WiFi

2. my computer wont let me sign into microsoft not on xbox not on the store not even in the...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    my computer wont let me sign into microsoft not on xbox not on the store not even in the...: On my labtop it let's me login to things like Spotify and Microsoft edge but it won't let me sign into Xbox my settings whenever I open them they close on me and they say sign in to my microsoft store it won't let me and my computer runs fine i can even go into steam. I had...
  3. my computer wont let me sign into microsoft not on xbox not on the store not even in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer wont let me sign into microsoft not on xbox not on the store not even in the...: On my labtop it let's me login to things like Spotify and Microsoft edge but it won't let me sign into Xbox my settings whenever I open them they close on me and they say sign in to my microsoft store it won't let me and my computer runs fine i can even go into steam. I had...
  4. Wont give me the option to select a wifi network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wont give me the option to select a wifi network: So I guess my computer updated overnight and now I cant figure out how to connect it to the internet. Normally I just click the little world symbol in the bottom right corner, but whenever I click it all it shows is bluetooth, airplane mode, battery saver, focus assist, and...
  5. Wont give me the option to select a wifi network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wont give me the option to select a wifi network: So I guess my computer updated overnight and now I cant figure out how to connect it to the internet. Normally I just click the little world symbol in the bottom right corner, but whenever I click it all it shows is bluetooth, airplane mode, battery saver, focus assist, and...
  6. My computer wont let me log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer wont let me log in: HiI'm at my wits end. Been trying to fix my computer all day but nothing works.I got the blue screen saying a problem with memory and the computer will have to restart.It restarted and gets to the screen with the date and time but as soon as I click the mouse to log in, the...
  7. My computer wont let me log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer wont let me log in: HiI'm at my wits end. Been trying to fix my computer all day but nothing works.I got the blue screen saying a problem with memory and the computer will have to restart.It restarted and gets to the screen with the date and time but as soon as I click the mouse to log in, the...
  8. My computer wont let me log in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. my computer wont let me be adminaster

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    my computer wont let me be adminaster: how do i run on my computer as adminaster when i go to comand promt it says run as adminaster and it says no https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-wont-let-me-be-adminaster/7239204e-3838-4c2b-bffe-1b2536189ef2
  10. Wont let me connect to wifi?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wont let me connect to wifi?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ZJums [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jwxo3a/wont_let_me_connect_to_wifi/