Windows 10: Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME"

Discus and support Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently bought a pair of new laptops with Windows 10. When I set up file & printer sharing between them, it worked fine. A couple of days later, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ole_prh, Dec 23, 2019.

1. ole_prh Win User

Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME"

I recently bought a pair of new laptops with Windows 10. When I set up file & printer sharing between them, it worked fine. A couple of days later, I noticed that the networking was no longer working: each machine can see the other in File Explorer, but when I click on the other machine's folder, it says "Network error. Windows cannot access [\\NAME]. You do not have permission to access [\\NAME]."

I also have a pair of older laptops with Windows 7, with file & printer sharing set up between them in exactly the same way, and the networking still works fine on those machines.

I have not changed any network settings or security permissions on any of the machines, although there has been an update 1909 on the Win 10 machines, and I am starting to suspect that the networking issue is something to do with the Win 10 update. While investigating the issue, I noticed an apparent anomaly in the security settings for C:\ on both Win 10 machines. These settings are the same on the Win 7 and Win 10 machines, except for the Authenticated Users group, which has "Modify" permissions on the Win 7 machines but is blank on the Win 10 machines, although the advanced settings for this group have "Modify" permissions on all of the machines.

What are the default security settings for the Authenticated Users group on C:\ on a Win 10 machine, and could this be causing my networking issue? The machines are otherwise working fine.

I tried to change these settings but got "An error occurred while applying security information", presumably because the owner of C:\ is "TrustedInstaller". I gather I can take ownership to work around this, but I want to confirm the default settings first.

:)

ole_prh, Dec 23, 2019
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Dec 23, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME]

Hi, I had exactly the same issue yesterday. One PC could see the other, the other gave that error with a low green progress bar when trying to access the first.

I changed nothing by way of settings, although I did start checking them. I had to restart each a couple of times. Odd, frustrating.. and not what I want to see.

However, in your case, the permissions settings sound odd (Trusted Installer) but I see the same as you:
    I see

Network stopped working - "Cannot access \NAME" [​IMG]

Based on my experience yesterday, the permissions report may be misleading.

If you really identify a need, one way that may help to reset permissions to default is this:

Network stopped working - "Cannot access \NAME" [​IMG]

Select only the relevant repairs - this is a very cautious repair too- be careful to follow the preparatory sequence.

And tenforums members tirelessly recommend the routine use of disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free/paid)

This thread starts to collect some resources on local networking:
    Lets put together a troubleshooting list for Windows networking

dalchina, Dec 23, 2019
  4. Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME"

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME"

1. Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME" - Similar Threads - Network stopped working

2. "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder -...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder -...: Getting "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder You do not have permission to access:; In my directory, I can access some folders, both as a user, and most as an administrator. But not all in either. In two folders where I can...
  3. "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder -...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder -...: Getting "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder You do not have permission to access:; In my directory, I can access some folders, both as a user, and most as an administrator. But not all in either. In two folders where I can...
  4. "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder -...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network source is not accessible via name

Network source is not accessible via name: Hi All! I would like to reach one of our linux servers via computer name with AD users credantial, but it doesn't work: C:\Users\a>net use \\jean-dev System error 1396 has occurred. The target account name is incorrect. But via ip address works correctly:...
  6. Home Networking – Windows cannot access \\PCs name

Home Networking – Windows cannot access \\PCs name: Hi, I am back on this forum again with the same problem and start to wonder if Windows updates change my settings without notifying me. Hence, I have 4 PCs on my Home network and they all share the same Workgroup name. However they are configured as follow: ·...
  7. Windows cannot Access \\"Home Network Computer Name"

Windows cannot Access \\"Home Network Computer Name": Help. I keep getting this message along with; Windows 10 - errror 0x80070035 when I try to access the two laptops on my home network. There are three machines. The two laptops and a desktop. The two laptops can access the desktop, but not vici verca! I have ahared all Drives...
  8. File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME]

File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME]: I recently bought a pair of new laptops with Windows 10. When I set up file & printer sharing between them, it worked fine. A couple of days later, the sharing stopped working (possibly following a Windows or driver update), although I have not changed any network or security...
  9. Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip

Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip: I have a Server and a few windows 10 computers in my office. Usually i can access the server network from all computers by typing \\"servername". I restarted the server today morning and after that two of my windows 10 computers dont connect to server when I type...
  10. Cannot access networked PC's

Cannot access networked PC's: We have about 4 PC's/laptops running windows 10 and 4 Computers which act as servers but are running windows 7 pro. The servers have shared folders on them which either other servers or the PC's need to get at. This has worked fine for years until the other day and now its...