Windows 10: Network Storage Shares no longer viewable after Windows last update

Discus and support Network Storage Shares no longer viewable after Windows last update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 4 NAS arrays. When I open Windows Explorer and look under Network there is as there always has been a section for "Computers" and another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oldrock, Dec 11, 2017.

1. oldrock Win User

Network Storage Shares no longer viewable after Windows last update

I have 4 NAS arrays. When I open Windows Explorer and look under Network there is as there always has been a section for "Computers" and another section for "Storage". Prior to the update, The NAS boxes would also appear in the "Computers" section. This allowed you to click on the NAS name to display the shares and map a drive or create a network location.

Now after the update, the NAS boxes no longer show up in the "Computer" section. They only show up in the "Storage" section and will not allow me to see the shares or map them in Windowos Explorer.

Has this functionality been moved? I can't map my shares anymore. The previous shares work on the PCs where they were previously mapped but when I log into the NAS and create a new share, Windows Explorer won't display it so I can't map it.

:)

oldrock, Dec 11, 2017

2. Network shares no longer accessible after Windows 10 1607 update

Had same lack of internet connection after the update to 1607. Local IP only. Nothing would repair or resolve it.

As a last effort before looking to roll back, I uninstalled/removed the Ethernet adapter (built-in Realtek PCI GBE) including the installed software/drivers in Device Manager. After the reboot, was asked if I wished to enable local sharing, and then found
    the network was back.

The issue was only in Windows 10 and did not effect the router or a dual boot version Windows 7 on the same machine.

Canadian Guber, Dec 11, 2017
  3. jere509 Win User
    Network shares no longer accessible after Windows 10 1607 update

MS pushed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update out and multiple problems began on our office network regarding shares.

We have 5 different Windows 10 machines, all running Professional (upgraded from Win7 Pro).

After the Update, those not updated could no longer access the updated machines or shared drives. We are small office and do not utilize passwords or the different PCs, will we need to install passwords on each machine moving forward (a pain)?

Also, we have two legacy machines that cannot be upgraded (and will not be replaced at the moment) which still utilize Windows XP. Here is a strange quark, the shared drives are accessible but the shared printers are not. The printers can be found but no
    longer accessed. I understand WindowsXP is dead and MS will not offer any help, but we would like to continue to use these two machines until after the end of 2016.

Need less to say, both problems did not exist in Win7 or after upgrading to Win10 last year.

jere509, Dec 11, 2017
  4. oldrock Win User

Just to pass this on here, I found this information on the Microsoft Support site and it is now the only way I can find to map a drive letter to a share on a NAS in Windows Explorer after the last update due to the changes described above from the update.

This worked for me, but I also had to add my sharename. ie: \\NASname\Sharename

This added a link under "This PC" in Windows Explorer. I then was able to map a drive letter to the NAS from that link.

oldrock, Dec 13, 2017
  5. Railtech Win User
    Another issue brought about by Microsoft dropping support for SMB 1.0. It has broken network discovery of devices that use NetBIOS as a discovery method, brought forth authentication issues with certain machines, etc.

Basically you are being forced to stop using WORKGROUP or if you do use it then mapping drives to network shares is the ONLY alternative or, resort to using HOMEGROUP which is less than desirable!

You do have a third option, get yourself an AD server! Thanks Microsoft, how hard would it have been to bridge the gap here for users? You could have provided support for NetBIOS in SMB 2 and 3 but NO!

Railtech, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network Storage Shares no longer viewable after Windows last update - Similar Threads - Network Storage Shares

2. Windows no longer works after the last Windows update April 12

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows no longer works after the last Windows update April 12: A few days ago, I was blocked for an OS update when I tried to sign into a Windows 10. I really hate the way of Windows updates. It blocks me to use my PC until the update is completed which can take up to half of hour or longer. iOS doesn't behave in that fashion at all.....
  3. Windows no longer works after the last Windows update April 12

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows no longer works after the last Windows update April 12: A few days ago, I was blocked for an OS update when I tried to sign into a Windows 10. I really hate the way of Windows updates. It blocks me to use my PC until the update is completed which can take up to half of hour or longer. iOS doesn't behave in that fashion at all.....
  4. Shared printer not working after the last update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared printer not working after the last update: After the last update, i can't print over LAN network. the error message is 0x0000052e. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-printer-not-working-after-the-last-update/40c03498-273a-4be1-8afa-296cb7368cd8
  5. home network file sharing no longer works after any windows 10 updates

home network file sharing no longer works after any windows 10 updates: I would really like to know how and why after windows 10 does an update on either my desktop or laptop I can no longer sharing files between the 2 computers. In fact they no longer acknowledge the the other computer is even on my network. And when this does happen it's a real...
  6. Windows installation no longer detected after last update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows installation no longer detected after last update: Hey guys, A week ago or so my PC was updated to the latest build of Windows 10 (i think its 1903?). My PC is running pretty much 24/7. Now...i just rebooted and it turns out windows.can no longer find the boot device or windows installation. After this happens the PC...
  7. No longer able to access network shares after 1809 updates

No longer able to access network shares after 1809 updates: After Windows decided to spite me and install these updates anyhow, my main PC can no longer access any of my file shares on my server. I'm very angry as something this simple and widely used should not be broken in the updates. I've tried many solutions suggested all over...
  8. Can no longer access network storage after computer reset

Can no longer access network storage after computer reset: Hi, I recently reset my laptop and can now no longer access my network shared storage computer (running Server 2016). no configurations have been changed on the storage server. Only a computer reset of my laptop. Has anyone had a similar problem? I get an error 0x80004005....
  9. Network shares no longer visible in Explorer

Network shares no longer visible in Explorer: I have two machines: a laptop (Zebedee) and a desktop (Dougal). A couple of days ago I found that the network shares from both machines were no longer visible in Explorer on either machine. I noticed this after Zebedee (but not Dougal) had been upgraded to Windows 10 version...
  10. Network mess after last creator update

Network mess after last creator update: With the last update Microsoft created areal network mess. Before the update I could see and access all shared folders on the connected PC's in the LAN . Now I don't see them most of the time or disappear after a while, but the most strange thing is that when I the other...