Windows 10: Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name under Workgroup category

Discus and support Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name under Workgroup category in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm on a domain, but Network tab shows my domain's name under Workgroup category.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Heron Puppy, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name under Workgroup category

I'm on a domain, but Network tab shows my domain's name under Workgroup category.

:)

Heron Puppy, Jan 21, 2021

2. Migrate to Workgroup from Domain

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand as you want to switch the PC from Domain to workgroup.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

1. Press Windows + Pause Break or open
      control panel and click on System.
    2. Click on Advanced system settings from the left pane.
    3. Select the Computer Name tab from the top and click on
      Change.
    4. Select the radio button beside Workgroup and provide a name.
    5. Click Ok. Then in the prompt click Ok.
    6. Type the user name and password of an administrator account from this PC (not domain), and click/tap on
      OK.
    7. Restart the PC and check.

However, for further assistance
    I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet
    forums, where we have experts and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Domain user to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Regards.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 21, 2021
  3. In Windows 10 Home - why would you disable the ability to change the default workgroup name from "workgroup" to something else?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• How are you trying to change the work group name?
    Have you tried as below steps if not I suggest you to follow as below and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+X”.
    • Click on “system”.
    • Then under “computer name, domain and workgroup settings” option.
    • Click on change “settings” on the right hand side.
    • Click on “computer name” tab.
    • Under the option “to rename this computer and change its domain or workgroup, click change”
      click on “change option”.
    • Under “computer name tab” enter the computer name accordingly and click on
      “ok”.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 21, 2021
  4. cmilstead Win User

Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name under Workgroup category

Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain

I have scoured the Networking and Sharing portion of this Win 10 Forum for an answer to my issue but have not found anything that works.

We have a peer to peer network, with one Win 10 machine (acting as server - which we call server) which shares several hard drives for everyone in the office to access. It has network discovery on, file and printer sharing on, turn off password protected sharing off. It has all the drives named and shared properly so everyone has full access. All the other Win 7, and Win 8 machines have complete access as designed. Another Win 10 machine has complete access as designed. All machines are part of the same workgroup Engineer. My machine is a Lenovo laptop which was upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10. When I try to access the Win 10 machine (which is acting as server), I get the Enter Network credentials pop-up asking for Username and Password which we do not use nor have ever set up on the Win 10 machine or any other. I know that there are several posts that have the Enter Network credentials popping up, but the difference is that their screenshot showed them as part of a workgroup. See the following:

Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name under Workgroup category [​IMG]

When I get the same pop-up on my Lenovo Laptop It looks like the following:

My System Properties information:

Notice that the example above which is part of the workgroup has no reference to a domain. My pop-up on the Laptop shows reference to a domain, and whats interesting is that the domain is the computer name of the laptop itself. There are no domains set up on any machine of our peer to peer network. I think what needs to be done is the Laptop needs to be convinced it is not part of a domain but part of a workgroup called Engineer, and that might be one step in solving the problem. I wouldn't doubt that after solving that issue that a lot of the others listed in other threads will rear their ugly heads afterwords, but who knows, knowing how to resolve that might solve all my problems. Any ideas community?

Thanks in advance for your help.

cmilstead, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name under Workgroup category

1. Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name under Workgroup category - Similar Threads - Network tab Explorer

2. Unable to see my router under the Network tab in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to see my router under the Network tab in file explorer: Hello, I'm trying to port forward so I can get open NAT type it is currently strict to play with my friends in Call Of Duty: Black Ops III. I tried to port forward through my routers site, but I had no luck with that, I watched some tutorials and all tutorials show that you...
  3. domain to workgroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    domain to workgroup: Hi Is it possible to change a domain account to microsoft account and move the computer from the domian to a workgroupRolf https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/domain-to-workgroup/d2eb94fe-13c4-488f-a1b2-0961207b8555
  4. domain to workgroup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    domain to workgroup: Hi Is it possible to change a domain account to microsoft account and move the computer from the domian to a workgroupRolf https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/domain-to-workgroup/d2eb94fe-13c4-488f-a1b2-0961207b8555
  5. domain to workgroup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. My own PC is appearing under "Network" tab in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My own PC is appearing under "Network" tab in File Explorer: Hello everyone.I am experiencing quite of an headache here, as I'm puzzled whether this "issue" is normal behaviour of W11 or is related to some issues on behalf of my PC or Network Router. I should mention that I am currently running a virtual Linux distro under WSL 2, in...
  7. Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name as a Workgroup

Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name as a Workgroup: I'm on a domain, but Network tab shows my domain's name under Workgroup category. 172661
  8. How to fix Computer Name not showing under Network in File Explorer?

How to fix Computer Name not showing under Network in File Explorer?: How do I fix the pc's computer name not showing under Network in File Explorer? If I type \\computer name in the File Explorer address box, the pc shows in Network. If I do a network reset, the pc shows in Network until a reboot. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns and nbtstat...
  9. Domain and Workgroup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Domain and Workgroup: I want to know if I setup domain then what is the benefit and if I setup homegroup then what is the benefit, which one is more useful. I read two articles from google but did not clear my queries: https://hubsadda.com/domain-vs-workgroup/...
  10. Missing domain for Workgroup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing domain for Workgroup: I have put my comuter into a Workgroup but it doesn't have a domain. I don't know how to create or find a domain for the Workgroup, This is causing me problems with Windows. What do you think I am missing here, and how would I correct it in your opinion? Thanks!...