Windows 10: Network Tray Icon incorrect/corrupt

Discus and support Network Tray Icon incorrect/corrupt in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I initially installed Win10 my ethernet network tray icon was what I would call normal. However, after a number of upgrades it now looks as though... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tommiy, Jun 17, 2016.

1. tommiy Win User

Network Tray Icon incorrect/corrupt

When I initially installed Win10 my ethernet network tray icon was what I would call normal. However, after a number of upgrades it now looks as though its corrupted as its missing a few lines. If I goto select which icons appear on the task bar the icon there is corrupt and matches the tray icon. The icon in the network and ether section of settings shows the correct icon. While my ethernet works fine I thought someone else may have solved this issue already. I've also rest the taskbar icon cache but that did not fix the issue. Thanks for any help.

Network Tray Icon incorrect/corrupt [​IMG]

:)

tommiy, Jun 17, 2016

2. help

Hello,

A factor why the network icon is missing on the system tray is due to corrupted system files on your computer. We'd like to know if the internet is still working.

You may also check if the Network system icon is off. Follow these steps to check the settings:

• Type Turn system icons on or off in the Search bar.
    • Check if Network is set to On; if not, click the toggle switch to on.
    • Close the window and check if the icon now appears in the system tray.

Keep us posted with the result.

Regile Reb, Jun 17, 2016
  3. Incorrect wifi system tray icon (windows 10)

I am connected to wireless internet, and airplane mode is not on. Nevertheless, there is no network icon in my system tray. Instead, there is an airplane icon, and when I mouse over it, this message pops up: "Not connected - Wireless communication is
    turned off." To reiterate, this is incorrect; I am connected and it is working fine. But I would like a workable network icon in my system tray, so that I don't have to open the control panel to access my network settings. I saw a similar post, and the
    questioner was instructed to run 'sfc /scannow' in an administrator enabled command prompt. I did so, and no errors were found. Please help!

Octavio Pablo, Jun 17, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

jds63, Jun 17, 2016
  5. jds63 Win User
    Strange, no other icon there or on desktop is abnormal ?

Try a System File checker, at (admin) command Prompt copy and paste this and press enter, let if finish

sfc /scannow

Same open command prompt copy and paste this and press enter let it finish

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Restart after both complete.

jds63, Jun 17, 2016
  6. tommiy Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes no other strange behaviour at all with the PC just an odd looking network icon.

Will try the file check and dism and see what happens....may back up first just in case *Wink

tommiy, Jun 17, 2016
  7. jds63 Win User
    Your welcome ! Always good to make backups of important files, but this will not cause you issues to loose files it will try to fix corruption in Windows . Let me know how it goes.

jds63, Jun 17, 2016
  8. tommiy Win User

well held out some hope as cbs said it repaired a few things but after reboot the icon is still the same. I've compared the checksum of pnidui.dll with another system and as you would guess they are identical. Was thinking its a graphical issue so uninstalled my nvidia drivers and reinstalled and it was still the same when they where uninstalled. Tries uninstalling the ethernet driver through device manager.....its still the same. oh well nothing broken its just looks weird.

tommiy, Jun 17, 2016
  9. jds63 Win User
    Did you also run DISM command ? I would try both SFC and DISM again a few times and reboot after each completes. Did it say there was anything SFC could not fix ?

It is the same as you said in Settings screen as it is in the notification area. Does not sound like a Graphics driver issue unless more was happening all over the screen. I would think it could be the monitor to, but feel again like the Graphics card would affect more then one item on the screen and only if it happened to the icon in the notification area not both places.

Did this happen with a windows update that was installed or what type of upgrades are you talking about that you did ?

jds63, Jun 18, 2016
  10. tommiy Win User
    Tried running each 3 times. It never reorts that there is anything fixed and validation passes. This happened after a windows update although i do not know which one. The missing right hand section of the symbol looks like its meant to have the yellow triangle or red dot there but its not and I have no idea why the line for the bottom of the monitor is wrong. As the icons come from pnidui.dll i would have thought it was corrupt but it aligns with my other windows box in regards to a checksum hence why i started thinking graphics driver. Everything work fine however. If I pull the ethernet cable it comes up with the red cross in the gap thats on the bottom right corner all too nicely. I've run out of idea's of why this is so.

tommiy, Jun 18, 2016
  11. tommiy Win User
    tried everything i can think of to get the icon to return to normal. it appears that when the pc first starts up the ethernet port has a red circle with a cross because it has no connection and in under a second, when the connection is established, the red circle goes away but leaves the hole in the bottom right corner. This then remains that way. Interesting part is disabling the ethernet card etc while turned on never returns the icon to to be the standard icon in the dll file. I'm beginning to think this is a graphic card driver issue rather than a windows issue.

tommiy, Jun 25, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    I would then think you should try a repair install use step # 4 or USB step to do this. You will not loose anything but would suggest to backup anything important before you proceed.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

jds63, Jun 30, 2016
  13. tommiy Win User

that seems to have fixed it. Not sure why when sfc showed nothing.

tommiy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network Tray Icon incorrect/corrupt - Similar Threads - Network Tray Icon

2. network icon in the system tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network icon in the system tray: This is strange — I was having an issue with my cable service. The cable/wire to the house had to be replaced. Once the physical wire was replaced, the cable modem initializes and my devices connected. My phone connected via wi-fy and my roku connected via ethernet...
  3. network icon in the system tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network icon in the system tray: This is strange — I was having an issue with my cable service. The cable/wire to the house had to be replaced. Once the physical wire was replaced, the cable modem initializes and my devices connected. My phone connected via wi-fy and my roku connected via ethernet...
  4. network icon in the system tray

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Network connection icon in tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network connection icon in tray: Starting from yesterday, while I'm connected to the internet, the tray icon says I'm not "No internet access" icon.I logged off/on to my account, I turned off/on my laptop, to no avail...Any thoughts?...
  6. Network connection icon in tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network connection icon in tray: Just from yesterday, while I'm connected to the internet, the tray icon says I'm not "No internet access" icon.I logged off/on to my account, I turned off/on my laptop, to no avail...Any thoughts?...
  7. The network tray icon is missing / Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The network tray icon is missing / Windows 11: I needed to switch Internet, I checked the tray and found out that network icon is missing. I know network icon was combined with the sound icon and it was there after I upgraded to windows 11. But now I have only sound icon see screen-shot. I can't find the network icon...
  8. System Tray icon for Network Access

System Tray icon for Network Access: I see the speaker icon next to the ethernet in your picture. I looked again and I believe you are correct. That is the speaker icon.
  9. System Tray Icons and network connections

System Tray Icons and network connections: One good result (consequence?) of this is that that sleep function is behaving better. Weird.
  10. Network tray icon is blurry - how to refresh the icon?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network tray icon is blurry - how to refresh the icon?: [img] As you can see, it's not very smooth. The white curved lines have bluish spots inside. When I first installed Windows 10 on a virtual hard disk (vhd), nvidia drivers for my gtx 760 installed automatically by Windows 10 and the icon was very smooth. Later, I had to do a...