Windows 10: Network USER confusion.

Discus and support Network USER confusion. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently reinstalled a FRESH W10-64 OS (factory restore). I somehow ended up with a user named: jboot I do not recall specifying that as a user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WacoJohn, Oct 17, 2017.

1. WacoJohn Win User

Network USER confusion.

Recently reinstalled a FRESH W10-64 OS (factory restore). I somehow ended up with a user named:
    jboot

I do not recall specifying that as a user name. The W10 LOGIN screen says Waco John. Before the reinstall of W10 the folder shown below (jboot) was named owner.

Network USER confusion. [​IMG]

When I go to user accounts with control panel, it says:

Network USER confusion. [​IMG]

Would like to know how to switch from jboot to owner. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I believe it has to do with the W10 reinstallation setup asking me to use a Microsoft account ... and I did.

:)

WacoJohn, Oct 17, 2017
  2. Bower7 Win User

Confusion with User Accounts

After installing Windows 10 on my pc, my son logged on with this Microsoft account from his pc. That gave him access, on my pc only, to all files on my pc.

I then registered myself with a Microsoft account as I didn't previously have one and had my son invite me to his 'family' I was then able, using his login, to make me administrator and his standard.

My problem/question is that when I now login to my pc I only see icons from his pc but if I switch users, still on my pc, to him, he can see all my icons and has access to all my pc.

Sorry but I'm totally confused as to what to do here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bower7, Oct 17, 2017
  3. Techgig Win User
    Techgig, Oct 17, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Network USER confusion.

It depends on if you are using a Live account or not. Some people setup two accounts, with one being a limited user account and the other being the administrator. If you do not want the Live account, just go into system and Accounts to change your account to a local.

bro67, Oct 18, 2017
  5. WacoJohn Win User
    Thank you, Sir. Sounds simple enough. I need to question ... once I do this, will OWNER become the named folders etc? Will OWNER automatically replace jboot in both name and function? Thank you again.

WacoJohn, Oct 18, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    No one account does not replace the other if there are two user accounts.

bro67, Oct 18, 2017
  7. WacoJohn Win User
    So sorry to be dense. Basically, I am switching from a live account which seems to be user jboot to a local account (I guess Waco John is a nickname at microsoft.com).

Since I don't know what happens when I switch to local, what happens when I command the switch? To my knowledge, there is, at the moment, only one user .. that of the live account. At what point do I have the local account be 'owner'? Does the 'switch' routine ask me to provide the user name???? Sorry to take your time.

EDIT: I found the answer. http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...osoft-account/

I will be asked to provide local user credentials. Thank you for your prompt and courteous help.

WacoJohn, Oct 19, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Network USER confusion.

You need to decide. The Microsoft Live account does not determine the nickname, you do when you want that Roaming Profile to be used. You can set up a Local or Roaming profile since Windows 8. It is just up to the end user to decide how they want to log into the workstation.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Network USER confusion.

1. Network USER confusion. - Similar Threads - Network USER confusion

2. user accounts confusion and permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user accounts confusion and permissions: hi. though i am quite a seasoned windows pc user, i have thus far not had experience with additional user accounts. i have recently migrated to a new pc with the help of pc mover software. what i did not realize is that i had created an extra user account and that perhaps the...
  3. user accounts confusion and permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user accounts confusion and permissions: hi. though i am quite a seasoned windows pc user, i have thus far not had experience with additional user accounts. i have recently migrated to a new pc with the help of pc mover software. what i did not realize is that i had created an extra user account and that perhaps the...
  4. User Account Confusion

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User Account Confusion: After I tried to create a new Local User Account, Windows 10 or Microsoft used it to replace my Microsoft Account. On Windows 10 Control Panel it appears as a Local Account. On Windows 10 Settings/Accounts/Your Info it appears as a Microsoft Account. I have changed its new...
  5. User Account confusions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account confusions: Device nameHPLAPTOPProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHzInstalled RAM8.00 GBDevice ID01C2869A-EACD-48CF-ACA6-4CFED37BDFF3Product ID00325-96176-65479-AAOEMSystem type64-bit operating system, x64-based processorPen and touchTouch support with 2 touch points...
  6. User accounts confusion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User accounts confusion: No idea where else to post this... Several years ago I bought my current system from eBay, and it arrived with a user account set up call it "BLUE1" that I was unaware of, as I went through my own personalization, creating a user account, etc. Soon I realized there were...
  7. User Access Control confusion

User Access Control confusion: I have the following strange issue: On my PC I have a Windows Administrator, a Local Administrator and a Standard User account. I use the Standard user account for day to day tasks. If I need to use an elevated Command prompt or install new software, then I'm asked to enter...
  8. confusion about network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    confusion about network: Looking into Network and Sharing Centre I see two networks: - Network 2, Access type Internet, Connections Ethernet -Unidentified network, Access type Internet, Connections Ethernet There is one network adapter (Realtek) which contains both names (Network 2, Unidentified...
  9. Confused by user accounts

Confused by user accounts: I am having trouble with user accounts in Windows 10. I have three different logins, “dan”, “william” and “william lockie”. They come up randomly when I start or restart the computer. The PW for all of them is ********, the same. There are two users folders: 1. C:\users\...
  10. Confused by user/windows accounts!

Confused by user/windows accounts!: I am the only user on this Windows 10 laptop. No one else here wilI use it, my wife would be frightened to use it and she has her own anyway. I want to be able to login (or rather not to have to login) when Windows starts up. I did have this working until an update not sure...