Windows 10: Network visibility after PC name change

Discus and support Network visibility after PC name change in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello : I recently decided to rename my PC so I have less trouble finding it when multiple computers are connected to the network. What then happened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rutger_404, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Network visibility after PC name change

Hello :

I recently decided to rename my PC so I have less trouble finding it when multiple computers are connected to the network. What then happened is that I could not find that computer at the navigation pane of the explorer anymore. Even if I looked at the network folder, there was no sign that the renamed PC was connected to the network.

There are a lot of things the internet says one can do to fix networking issues, but none of them seemed to work. Mostly because that PC was still connected to the network, and I figured out that I can still access it by typing \\PCname\ where PCname is the name of the PC obviously into the address bar. Then the PC would magically appear in the navigation pane as well until I close and reopen the explorer.

My guess is that the original PC name is stored at some registry of every computer of that network. Since that specific name is not in use, it does not appear in the network. However, since the hardware has already been added to the network, it is not added as a new PC or something. I can not confirm that this is actually what’s going on, but it seems verry plausible from what I can see.

My question now is, can some registry change or something make a PC with a certain name dis- appear in the navigation pane and explorer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rutger

:)

Rutger_404, Nov 18, 2020

2. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Nov 18, 2020
  3. wortex Win User
    My PC is not listed in Network

Hi Eagle51 & thanks for quick response

I am very grateful for your help

1 was not enabled. I enabled it and restarted the HT-PC, but now the HT-PC is not visible in Network list on any computer.

...then i run 2 and both was true.

Next step?

wortex, Nov 18, 2020
  4. Network visibility after PC name change

Change name of Network

I am connected to my private network by USB however in the list of networks available there are at least 3 listed as "Network" including mine.

How can I change the network name to, say, the name of my device?

Daniel J White, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

Network visibility after PC name change

1. Network visibility after PC name change - Similar Threads - Network visibility name

2. Change network name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change network name: Change network name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f3291063-71dc-458f-ac00-680975aa336f
  3. Change network name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change network name: Change network name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f3291063-71dc-458f-ac00-680975aa336f
  4. Change network name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. PC not visible in W10 network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not visible in W10 network: I have 2 PCs on my home network, call them A & B. On PC A under network in Windows Explorer both PCs are visible and A can access shared folders on B. On PC B under network in Windows Explorer only B is visible and A is not visible. A had a recent reinstall of W10.I have done...
  6. PC not visible in W10 network

PC not visible in W10 network: I have 2 PCs on my home network, call them A & B. On PC A under network in Windows Explorer both PCs are visible and A can access shared folders on B. On PC B under network in Windows Explorer only B is visible and A is not visible. A had a recent reinstall of W10.I have done...
  7. PC not visible in W10 network

8. change network name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change network name: I couldn't change my network name,only changed in profile name by regedit.but, does not changed network and sharing centre permanently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f03651ba-256f-450f-a4ae-416fd1176ca6
  9. change network name

change network name: I couldn't change my network name,only changed in profile name by regedit.but, does not changed network and sharing centre permanently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f03651ba-256f-450f-a4ae-416fd1176ca6
  10. change network name