Windows 10: Networked computer won't recognize Microsoft login credentials

Discus and support Networked computer won't recognize Microsoft login credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Dell laptops. Both are on the same home network, and I set up both for sharing files and folders. One computer, let's call it SilverDell,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pjs15, Sep 3, 2020.

1. pjs15 Win User

Networked computer won't recognize Microsoft login credentials

I have two Dell laptops. Both are on the same home network, and I set up both for sharing files and folders. One computer, let's call it SilverDell, uses a Microsoft account for access, the other, let's call it BlackDell, uses another method of access. SilverDell can access files on BlackDell, but when I'm on BlackDell and try to access SilverDell, I can't login in. It asks for my username and password, but doesn't recognize these credentials, which I know are correct because I just used them to login to Microsoft.com. I also tried using username and PIN, but that didn't work either.

Any idea what I can do to troubleshoot and fix so I have a two-way connection?

Thanks.

:)

pjs15, Sep 3, 2020

2. Network credentials?

I had the same problem. It looks like Microsoft has discontinued support for Homegroups, which I think is what made it crop up for me. I tried dozens of fixes I found posted all over the internet until I ran across one which makes sense and worked for
    me.

I have three Windows 10 computers on the same network. They all see each other (under Windows Explorer "Network") but when I tried to access them I was prompted for "network credentials" which never worked.

First I turned off and disabled Homegroups on all three computers. I used the procedure from

here
    . Then I restarted all three.

Then on each of the computers I did this:

• Search for "credentials" and start Credential Manager.
    • Select Windows Credentials.
    • Either Edit or create a Windows credential for the other two computers. Be sure the User Name is your Windows login name (account name?) and re-enter your Windows login password even if one is shown.
    You may need to enter your credentials the first time you access another computer across the network after this, but check "remember my credentials" and you shouldn't have to again.

I had garbage user names and passwords in Credential Manager for some reason, but when I cleaned them up like this all was well.

CarpeCimex, Sep 3, 2020
  3. option to change the login credentials on Windows 10 computer

Hello Ankit,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

We would like to know if you have received any email when you say Microsoft gave me an option to change the login credentials on my Windows 10 computer

Again, please be informed that in order to change the Login ID credentials, you need to access you Microsoft Account at the first place, in this case which would be recovering the Microsoft Account(MSA).

I suggest you to follow the recommended link which was earlier suggested.

Getting back into your Microsoft account if it’s been compromised

Once you recover your MSA, you can refer to the below steps to change the credentials.

• Login to https://login.live.com.
    • Specify the current Windows live ID and password in the available fields and click
      Sign in.
    • On Microsoft account page, make sure that Overview category is selected from the left pane.
    • From the right pane, click Rename account under Account summary.
    • From the right pane of the next page, make sure that Create a new email address radio button is selected under
      Rename your Microsoft account.

Hope it helps this time.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Networked computer won't recognize Microsoft login credentials

Network Credentials

Hi Sammy,

To assist you better regarding your concern with network credentials, have you checked the Windows credentials for any information about the username and password for the network credentials? If not yet, follow the steps below to access Windows Credentials
    manager.

• Press the Windows icon on the desktop.
    • Type in Windows Credentials.
    We would appreciate as well if you could provide us a screenshot.

Let us know how it goes.

Carlos Tin, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

Networked computer won't recognize Microsoft login credentials

1. Networked computer won't recognize Microsoft login credentials - Similar Threads - Networked computer won't

2. Windows 10 Login Issue, computer not recognizing credentials

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Login Issue, computer not recognizing credentials: I'm using an HP Gaming Laptop running Windows 10.Last night I updated my computer's bios. After I started my computer last night, Windows mentioned on the login screen that my login pin had been reset. After sometime of struggling to remember my username and password I was...
  3. Windows 10 Login Issue, computer not recognizing credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Login Issue, computer not recognizing credentials: I'm using an HP Gaming Laptop running Windows 10.Last night I updated my computer's bios. After I started my computer last night, Windows mentioned on the login screen that my login pin had been reset. After sometime of struggling to remember my username and password I was...
  4. Windows 10 Login Issue, computer not recognizing credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer not recognizing networks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not recognizing networks: So my laptop was recognizing all of the networks around me, but not mine. I tried putting up a hotspot on phone but didnt recognize that network either. Not effecting other devices. Please help...
  6. Computer not recognizing networks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not recognizing networks: So my laptop was recognizing all of the networks around me, but not mine. I tried putting up a hotspot on phone but didnt recognize that network either. Not effecting other devices. Please help...
  7. Computer not recognizing networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Microsoft won't recognize my Outlook 2016 user credentials

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft won't recognize my Outlook 2016 user credentials: I have been using Windows for many many years and Win10 since shortly before Win7 lost support. For much of that time I have been using Outlook 2016 and also a feature of my Firefox browser that allows me to easily send an email referencing my active Web page. A few weeks ago...
  9. Network computer not acceptin credentials.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network computer not acceptin credentials.: I have a private wireless network with three computers all running Windows 10. Two use the same Microsoft account and the third uses a different one but they all show up in File Explorer on the first two. But when I try to open the third one I get a request for credentials. I...
  10. Credential Manager won't recognize changed password

in Windows 10 Support
    Credential Manager won't recognize changed password: Created new password in an app that had been an automatic login. Now, looking at Credential Manager I see the old password still saved there. Also, no edit ability, can only delete the entire entry. Would it work to delete the old entry and then see if Cred. Mgr. would...