Windows 10: Networked computers not seen in file explorer

Discus and support Networked computers not seen in file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 4 windows pc's on my home network. I'm just trying to understand why networking works the way it does. Here is how things look on each of the 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Atom1, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Atom1 Win User

Networked computers not seen in file explorer

I have 4 windows pc's on my home network. I'm just trying to understand why networking works the way it does. Here is how things look on each of the 4 devices which I will refer to as 1, 2, 5, and 7:
    System #1 (Win 7, ethernet) shows: 1, 2, and 7
    System #2 (Win 10, ethernet) shows: 2, 5, and 7
    System #5 (Win 10, wifi) shows: 5
    System #7 (Win 10, ethernet) shows: 1, 2, and 7

They all have network discovery turned on in control panel with file sharing enabled. I have also checked that the services Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resources Publication are running.

I am able to add, for instance, shared folder on #5 under This PC on #7 by right clicking on This PC and using Add Network Location, but the #5 PC still does not show up under Network on #7.

Why is this so quirky, or am I missing something?

:)

Atom1, Nov 23, 2018
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 7 File Sharing between computers, PROBLEMS!!

Just do a file transfer in explorer from one computer to the other and see what speed you get. I would suggest avoiding homegroup and using a proper network setup instead.

newtekie1, Nov 23, 2018
  3. lintekPC Win User
    Buggy Windows 10 Home Network File Explorer

First my network configuration:

- Windows 10 Home on a Dell Inspiron 13-5368 laptop

- CentOS 6.8 on a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop

- The Vostro is the Samba/Linux server

- The 13-5368 is the Samba/Windows client

- The Vostro is the network's computer browse master

- The Computer Browser service on the 13-5368 is disabled to avoid conflicts

Working:

- sharing

- printing

- computer names are list in the network file explorers (both PCs)

Problem scenario:

- shutdown the 13-5368

- the computer's name is removed from the browse list as seen from the Vostro (Samba Server)

- restart the 13-5368

- open the network file explorer on Windows 10

- only the Vostro PC computer name is listed

- enter the Windows 10 \\computer_name, it is found, displayed and the share is accessible

- close the network file explorer on Windows 10

- recheck after an hour, no Windows 10 computer name is displayed

- close the network file explorer on Windows 10

- logout of Windows 10

- sign into Windows 10

- open the network file explorer on Windows 10

*** now all computer names are displayed ***

Appears to be a buggy Windows 10 Home Network File Explorer. This happens when I used either WSD or NetBIOS

for network discovery. Only the logout/sign-in refreshes the list of computer names. My Windows 7 Pro laptop

in the network does not have the problem after a shutdown and restart.

lintekPC, Nov 23, 2018
  4. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Nov 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Networked computers not seen in file explorer - Similar Threads - Networked computers file

2. Windows 10 - CD draw seen by computer but no files - file explorer issues how to fix?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - CD draw seen by computer but no files - file explorer issues how to fix?: Hello Microsoft Community. An odd one for you. I have a client who has 3 Windows 10 computers which all have CD/DVD drives.On ALL three computers the drives can be seen, they open and you hear them loading the disks. However, EVERYTHING loads in the file explorer as a DVD...
  3. Windows 10 - CD draw seen by computer but no files - file explorer issues how to fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - CD draw seen by computer but no files - file explorer issues how to fix?: Hello Microsoft Community. An odd one for you. I have a client who has 3 Windows 10 computers which all have CD/DVD drives.On ALL three computers the drives can be seen, they open and you hear them loading the disks. However, EVERYTHING loads in the file explorer as a DVD...
  4. Windows 10 - CD draw seen by computer but no files - file explorer issues how to fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network Computer - Windows Account is not seen in Users folder

Network Computer - Windows Account is not seen in Users folder: I have 2 Windows 10 Pro computers: - one is Surface Pro version 2004 Microsoft Windows Account - one is Dell Venue Pro version 20H2 Local Windows Account When accessing either computer on the network, the "Users" folder does not show the user's account. For example: The...
  6. File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer

File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer: Am using Windows 10 version 10 build 18362l.145 on three machines all on my Private Network. Machines 1 and 2 show each other in File Explorer/Network. But Machine 3 shows only itself there. 1 and 2 show 3 and can access 3 at will. Each machine has Network discovery turned...
  7. File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer

File Explorer Does Not See A Network Computer: I have two computers on my private network, Dell-Desktop and Acer-Laptop. File Explorer on the Dell does not see the Acer. The Acer's File Explorer sees the Dell just fine and allows me to access the shared files on the Dell. I can, from the command line on the Dell, ping...
  8. Files seen in file explorer won't open in microsoft apps

Files seen in file explorer won't open in microsoft apps: Hi I have CDDA music files on usb that can be seen in file explorer but can't be either: a) played on surface pro on WPA, itunes or any other microsoft app b) converted using a microsoft app converter c) when using an app to convert or play the file cant be seen in its...
  9. USB PORTS NOT SEEN IN FILE EXPLORER

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB PORTS NOT SEEN IN FILE EXPLORER: In WINDOWS 10 PRO, my USB ports were working/being recognized (with drive a drive letter) fine until I did a backup using Paragon Software from one external drive to another external drive. Now, neither of the two USB ports are being seen in Windows File Explorer. However,...
  10. File Explorer > Network

File Explorer > Network: - When I click on Network in File Explorer I don't see any of the computers attached to the network, including the one that I'm working on. I see all of the other devices, such as printers and fax machines. Is there a setting in File Explorer or elsewhere that hides the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. will not search for computer when i click on network in file explorer