Windows 10: Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

Discus and support Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All computers set for full network sharing. Laptop has access to internet through network and network printer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HowardD, Oct 10, 2018.

1. HowardD Win User

Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

All computers set for full network sharing. Laptop has access to internet through network and network printer.

:)

HowardD, Oct 10, 2018

2. interaction of UAC, discoverability, and network profile

After my last clean reinstallation of Win10 I had trouble access my NAS drives. I have everything working now, but I don't really understand what I did and how it works. And I know my future holds more clean installs so I want to understand what I did.

Some background:
    1. I'm paranoid so have my UAC set to it's highest value.
    2. Accessing my NASs seems to require using the "Private" network profile and setting "Make this PC discoverable".
    3. #1 prevents #2 so I lowered the UAC long enough to change the network settings and then set it back up.

1st question: Was the high UAC setting just preventing changing the network setting, or is it preventing something else in network discovery that will bite me in the future? I'm having trouble believing that lowering the UAC just long enough to change the network settings is actually all that was required.

2nd question: I'm not aware of doing anything other than setting "Make this PC discoverable", but suddenly I was using the "Private" network profile. Are these just two ways of saying the same thing, or did I have to do something more to switch to the "Private" profile?

3rd question: If "Make this PC discoverable" and using the Private network profile are not the same thing, which was needed to get network discovery of my NASs working. (Prior to changing the setting, Windows10 could see the devices on my LAN bu no SMB connection could be established.)

pokeefe0001, Oct 10, 2018
  3. Darknova Win User
    Networking

Yeah, I don't have a base station in my network. The router is controlled remotely over the LAN from any PC that is connected to the network.

Darknova, Oct 10, 2018
  4. Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

Losing network connection

Hello Dear, if you have a laptop or a PC with a wireless network adapter, you can see a list of available wireless networks and then connect to one of those networks. The wireless networks will only appear if your PC has a wireless network adapter installed, the adapter is turned on, and the wireless access point is in range.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

2. In the left pane, under Network Tasks, click View available wireless networks.
    In case, If you don't see the network you want to connect to, click Refresh network list. If you see the network but the signal is weak, move the PC closer to the wireless router.

3. Click the network you want to connect to, and then click Connect.

4. If you're connecting to a secure network, type the security key, and then click OK.

I Hope you solve out your query soon.

martinkaren77, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

1. Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network - Similar Threads - Networked laptop discoverable

2. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not discoverable on network.: Hello, I am trying to set up two computers on my network so that they can share a folder between them. I followed a video that explained how to enable network discoverability through the network share center.Here is a quick list of what I did. 1 turned on "network discover on...
  3. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not discoverable on network.: Hello, I am trying to set up two computers on my network so that they can share a folder between them. I followed a video that explained how to enable network discoverability through the network share center.Here is a quick list of what I did. 1 turned on "network discover on...
  4. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wifi Network is not discoverable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Network is not discoverable: Hi all,I am having an issue with seeing my wifi network. I have tried restarting my computer, changing adapter settings, and even restarted my router...but I cannot get my computer to find my wifi network.Very frustrating!! If anyone can offer some troubleshooting tips it...
  6. Wifi Network is not discoverable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Network is not discoverable: Hi all,I am having an issue with seeing my wifi network. I have tried restarting my computer, changing adapter settings, and even restarted my router...but I cannot get my computer to find my wifi network.Very frustrating!! If anyone can offer some troubleshooting tips it...
  7. 2 networks 2 PCs

2 networks 2 PCs: Hii. I have 2 networks in my work place one is for PCs and the other for Machine , this one for machines has an IP cam connected to it now i need to access this cam from PCs on the first network , you have to know that the second pc for machine is connected to the first...
  8. 2 W10 PCs on home network

2 W10 PCs on home network: Hello all....can't connect over my home network after updating 1 PCs OS from 7 to 10 10 ProN 18363.476 Network... Everything worked prior to updating the OS on PC 1 Cable modem to netgear 7900 7900 to PC 1 7900 to netgear Proline to PC 2 Same workgroup both PCs are on a...
  9. Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network

Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network: Some of the PCs at work are defining the network as "Domain Network". These PCs are neither discovering the other PCs on the same network, nor they are discoverable to the other PCs. On the other hand, some other PCs are defining the same domain network as "Private Network",...
  10. Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network

Some PCs are not discoverable on the domain network: Some of the PCs at work are defining the network as "Domain Network". These PCs are neither discovering the other PCs on the same network, nor they are discoverable to the other PCs. On the other hand, some other PCs are defining the same domain network as "Private Network",...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. use 2-3 networked pcs for demonstration