Windows 10: networking 2 computers by way of ethernet?

Discus and support networking 2 computers by way of ethernet? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Here is my setup: I have a desktop running windows 10 pro and it is connected to my ISP's modem/router with an ethernet cable. I call it a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by toddean, Jun 1, 2020.

1. toddean Win User

networking 2 computers by way of ethernet?

Hi,

Here is my setup:

I have a desktop running windows 10 pro and it is connected to my ISP's modem/router with an ethernet cable.

I call it a modem/router because this modem has 2 ethernet ports to plug into. It is made by Technicolor and is called

the "Panoramic" and supplied by my ISP Cox communications.

Next I have my laptop running Windows 10 and is connected to the same modem/router by way of ethernet cable ..

So desktop is plugged into ethernet port 1

Laptop is plugged into ethernet port 2

I'm trying to network these two computers so that I can exchange files between them.

Should be easy, even Cox has wording in there support that says the reason for 2 ethernet ports is so files can be shared by two

computers, but I can't find any documentation from them on how to set up.

Both my connections are set to Private Networks

I have set the settings in advanced sharing settings under private to "turn on network discovery" check in the box

for "automatic setup"

under "all networks" I have password protected sharing set to off

Both computers have these settings this way. Identical.

On my desktop I shared my D drive which is a regular Hard drive that does not run the operating system.

Here's where I get lost. How do I set permissions up and for who, Exactly?

The Desktop is showing up on the laptop under Network but wont let me access the "D" drive from it

When I click on that D drive it says that I don't have permissions to access .

Can somebody give me instructions how I set the permissions and please be as detailed as possible?

thank you so much

:)

toddean, Jun 1, 2020
  2. rez001 Win User

IP configuration not valid - interference from ethernet adapter?

Solution 1: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1or Windows 10

Step 1:

Go to Device Manager → Network adapters.
    Step 2:

Expand it (Network adapters).

Step 3:

Select your network adapter

Step 4:

Right click on your wireless network adapter or Ethernet adapter and then tap “Update Driver Software”.
    (in this case your network adopter is Ethernet adopter so tap your Ethernet adapter)
    Step 5:

Now on a new window you will need to click on “Browse my computer for driver software”.

networking 2 computers by way of ethernet? install-driver-software.png

Step 6:

Then select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

networking 2 computers by way of ethernet? pick-comptible-driver-software.png

Step 7:

Now choose the “Manufacturer’s drivers” from the list of two and then click next.

networking 2 computers by way of ethernet? select-network-adapter.png

Step 8:

After the completion of the process just restart your PC and check if the problem is solved or not. If not, goto solution 2.

networking 2 computers by way of ethernet? Limited-wi-fi-connection-solved.png

Solution 2: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1,windows10

Step 1:

Open command prompt.
    Step 2:

Just go on hitting the enter after typing the each command.
    netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    Step 3:

Now to check if the settings are disabled type:
    netsh int tcp show global
    then hit enter.
    Step 4:

Now the thing left is just rebooting your system and just check if the problem is solved or not and just give feedback.*chuckle*Thumbs

rez001, Jun 1, 2020
  3. 1 router 2 computers 2 networks glitch

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

When you set up a PC, a HomeGroup is created automatically. If a HomeGroup already exists on your home network, you can join it.

You mentioned that both the computes are in different networks. This could be the reason why you are unable to create the homegroup. Therefore, I would suggest you to first try to add both the PC to a single network and try creating the homegroup again.

Refer the steps given below to add a device or PC to a network and check if it helps.

-Plug the PC into a hub, switch, or router and then turn it on. (If your home has Ethernet wiring and you have a jack in the room where the PC is, you can plug the PC into the Ethernet jack instead.)

To make sure you added the PC, follow these steps:

• Sign in to any PC on the network.

• Press Windows key + E to open file explorer and click "network".

• Make sure you see icons for the PC you added and for the other PCs and devices that are part of the network.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jun 1, 2020
  4. MJW77CA Win User

Ethernet Light Orange/ "Local Area Network" Not in Network List

Last night I noticed my ethernet light on the back of my computer was orange. I did some research to find the reason. Some websites said it was an increased connection speed. Others said a problem with the connection.
    The local area network is no longer in the list of network connections and the other computer in my house has a green light on the ethernet port.
    I've used all the cmd.exe ipconfig steps suggested by websites. Flush dns, reset dns, etc. I've also used the network troubleshooter in windows10 which told me a problem was not found.
    Nothing seems to change the light back to green. Can someone help me find the problem so I can fix it?

MJW77CA, Jun 1, 2020
Thema:

1. networking 2 computers by way of ethernet? - Similar Threads - networking computers ethernet

2. Ethernet Network 2 Driver Problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ethernet Network 2 Driver Problems: I have been dealing with a network driver issue on Windows 10 where anytime my network is shown as Network 2 i get limited access to the internet. Some websites work fine but other's will not load. I am then forced to reinstall drivers, disable and enable the drivers, or have...
  3. Ethernet Network 2 Driver Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Network 2 Driver Problems: I have been dealing with a network driver issue on Windows 10 where anytime my network is shown as Network 2 i get limited access to the internet. Some websites work fine but other's will not load. I am then forced to reinstall drivers, disable and enable the drivers, or have...
  4. Ethernet Network 2 Driver Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. home networking wifi and ethernet computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    home networking wifi and ethernet computers: How do I home network and share a computer on wifi with one on ethernet, when they are on the same router? Looks like the easiest way is to make them both ethernet or wifi...
  6. Connecting Printer to 2 Ethernet computers !

Connecting Printer to 2 Ethernet computers !: Hi, Just upgraded 2 computers in the home. Replaced the hard drives and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro on both. I have a Brothers MFC-L2680W that I used wireless on my wifes pc. After the upgrade I have 2 separate Ethernet cables out of the Router to the Desktops (Needed faster...
  7. Network 2 Computers

Network 2 Computers: Split from this thread. Hello my name is Roland, Last time I was able to connect my 2 computer on my office table was 2 weeks ago. No hardware change, yes I added 1 new software....
  8. Ethernet connectivity between 2 computers

Ethernet connectivity between 2 computers: Problem #1 I have 2 computers running WIN 10, connected via an Ethernet crossover cable. In FILE EXPLORER [Computer] I can see both computers on one computer, and only one computer (itself) on the other. I can see both of them as MEDIA DEVICES on both of them. I have...
  9. No way to add "homegroup" as Ethernet network

No way to add "homegroup" as Ethernet network: Just installed Win10 update. My computer can no longer join Ethernet: homegroup (Internet is only option) I There os NO "Choose homegroup and sharing" option on Network and Internet page.?!?!...
  10. 2 computers 2 different networks

2 computers 2 different networks: I have 2 HP Desktops that I cannot get to communicate with each other. Did not have this problem before the "Automatic" Windows 10 upgrade. The machines are identical except that 1 has Windows 10 Pro and the other Windows 10 Home. I can see both computers on the network, but...