Windows 10: Networking 5 computers with 3 different OS systems

Discus and support Networking 5 computers with 3 different OS systems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a very small office (no Network administrator) and I'm trying to network 5 computers with varying degrees of success. I'm comfortable with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jonobugs, Dec 7, 2016.

1. jonobugs Win User

Networking 5 computers with 3 different OS systems

I have a very small office (no Network administrator) and I'm trying to network 5 computers with varying degrees of success.

I'm comfortable with computers, but I'm no expert, especially when it comes to networking.

I managed to network an old XP computer with 2 other Windows 10 computers but I'm not even sure how I did it. I just shared the XP directory and I was able to see the folder on the Windows 10 computers. There is another Windows 7 laptop that can see the files, but we haven't tried to network it.

There was another XP computer that was linked but after awhile the OS became corrupted and I ended up formatting it and installed Windows 10 on that computer. That's where I ran into some problems.

Although I can see the other Windows 10 computer from my Windows 10 computer, I can't seem to network the drives by sharing folders. We end up sharing stuff via the Windows XP computer. The computer that I recently installed Windows 10 on can see the internet but I can't seem to network with it at all. It doesn't see any other computer on the network. When I first installed it, I was able to hook it up with the network printer but after I tried to network with it, I could no longer see the printer either.

I've tried pinging the new Win 10 computer and I've been successful but the new computer cannot ping anyone back. I've tried disabling firewalls, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I can't even see the other computers when I use the arp -a command, nor can I see the printer (although I could originally).

I have tried uninstalling the network card and then re-installed it, but nothing. I've run the network diagnostics program. No luck.

Also, the new computer cannot see the XP shared drive although all the other computers in the network can.

Any suggestions?

:)

jonobugs, Dec 7, 2016
  2. Pietpeer Win User

Radar battery drain

Additional info:

1. Phone Manufacturer: HTC

2. Phone Model: Radar

3. Mobile Operator: Netherlands: Simyo (KPN network)

4. Phone Operating System version: OS version 7.10.8773.98, firmware version 1750.0602.40504.61

5. Zune software version: updated

6. Computer Operating System version: XP SP3 fully updated

Pietpeer, Dec 7, 2016
  3. Different Wifi defaults on different computers

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

- What is the make and model of your laptop?

- Are you using Intel chip?

I suggest you to go to the Intel website and try to download the latest drivers.

Once you download and install the latest driver, try connect
    5 GHz and check.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Guru Kiran G, Dec 7, 2016
  4. jonobugs Win User

Agh. After working on this all day, I noticed that the computer was plugged directly into the modem not the router, so of course it was on the wrong network.

jonobugs, Dec 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Networking 5 computers with 3 different OS systems - Similar Threads - Networking computers different

2. I have 3 different OS systems, 11, 10 ,7. I have a home network set up and I cannot get...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 3 different OS systems, 11, 10 ,7. I have a home network set up and I cannot get...: I have my Windows 11 laptop connected via ethernet cable, but it is discoverable. My windows 10 laptop is showing up on the network, but my windows 7 laptop is not. Both the windows10 and the Windows 7 is connected to the same wifi connection, yet only the windows 10 laptop...
  3. Networking 3 systems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking 3 systems: Have 3 Dell laptops A,B,C. Trying to set up a 'newer one'A'' with the other two so I can share a Hp Deskjet printer that is connect to a docking station A is set up to. I've probably watched 5 videos, read another 5+ articles on how to set up a Networking system with no luck....
  4. Windows 10 - 5 different BSODs in 3 days

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - 5 different BSODs in 3 days: I have a laptop that I'm trying to fix for a friend, but after I reinstalled Windows 10 home it just keeps BSOD'ing. Windows 2004 build 19041.572 Here are 6 different BSODs almost all are unique errors: memory dumps - Google Drive I went ahead and set the min/max page file...
  5. Windows 10 - 5 different BSODs in 3 days

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - 5 different BSODs in 3 days: I have a laptop that I'm trying to fix for a friend, but after I reinstalled Windows 10 home it just keeps BSOD'ing. Windows 2004 build 19041.572 Here are 6 different BSODs almost all are unique errors: memory dumps - Google Drive I went ahead and set the min/max page file...
  6. 3D Applications/Games Crashing 3 Different Systems?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    3D Applications/Games Crashing 3 Different Systems?: Hello, everyone. Allow me to attempt to detail the last few days. I have 3 PC's in my possession currently. Here are the specs for all 3: WORKSTATION: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x @4.0 GHz Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Arctic MX-4 applied EVGA Geforce GTX 970 4 GB SC ASUS WiFi Card...
  7. Multiple different OS on removable disks on a computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple different OS on removable disks on a computer: I have just installed Win 10 Pro 64 bits onto a removable disk which slides into a sata caddy on a new machine. I understand that in some way Microsoft knows that the OS has been used and will not allow the key to used on another machine. I don't know if this is recorded...
  8. Only 1 of 5 systems display in NETWORK...?

Only 1 of 5 systems display in NETWORK...?: Hello, We have 5 Win10 systems on our office network all are V.1803 Build 17134.112, and all have shared resources. If, I click on NETWORK on one of the systems, only one other system displays. But, if I enter any of the 4 other systems by name on the address line, all of...
  9. Network Connections folder empty 3 different PC's

Network Connections folder empty 3 different PC's: Just picked up my 3rd Windows 10 for no internet complaint. All 3 have empty "Network Connections" folders. 2 laptops, 1 Desktop, different makes. All have Windows 10 before Creators update. Able to do an "Install/Repair (Thanks, Brink) on 2 of them. The other one...
  10. 2 computers 2 different networks

2 computers 2 different networks: I have 2 HP Desktops that I cannot get to communicate with each other. Did not have this problem before the "Automatic" Windows 10 upgrade. The machines are identical except that 1 has Windows 10 Pro and the other Windows 10 Home. I can see both computers on the network, but...