Windows 10: Networking between 2 computers

Discus and support Networking between 2 computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows version number desktop - 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685) , Laptop 1909 (OS Build 18363.1256) Hi Everyone, I have 2 computers (next to each other),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RichSSc, Jan 12, 2021.

1. RichSSc Win User

Networking between 2 computers

Windows version number desktop - 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685) , Laptop 1909 (OS Build 18363.1256)
    Hi Everyone,

I have 2 computers (next to each other), one is a desktop, one is a laptop, both running windows 10.

I want to connect them together using the network.

When I connect the laptop to the desktop it works lovely, I can get to the 'users' folder (as per capture attached) and then into my user folder and then all my files and folders.

Networking between 2 computers [​IMG]

However when I do it the other way round (desktop to laptop) it just goes to the Laptop and says 'this folder is empty'.

Networking between 2 computers [​IMG]

How do I get to the 'users' folder on the laptop from the desktop? Is it something I'm doing wrong on the laptop or the desktop?
    Thanks very much for any help

:)

RichSSc, Jan 12, 2021

2. 1 router 2 computers 2 networks glitch

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

When you set up a PC, a HomeGroup is created automatically. If a HomeGroup already exists on your home network, you can join it.

You mentioned that both the computes are in different networks. This could be the reason why you are unable to create the homegroup. Therefore, I would suggest you to first try to add both the PC to a single network and try creating the homegroup again.

Refer the steps given below to add a device or PC to a network and check if it helps.

-Plug the PC into a hub, switch, or router and then turn it on. (If your home has Ethernet wiring and you have a jack in the room where the PC is, you can plug the PC into the Ethernet jack instead.)

To make sure you added the PC, follow these steps:

• Sign in to any PC on the network.

• Press Windows key + E to open file explorer and click "network".

• Make sure you see icons for the PC you added and for the other PCs and devices that are part of the network.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jan 12, 2021
  3. taward Win User
    One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Networking between 2 computers

Network Communication problem with multiple computers

Hi Jay,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Network discovery might be blocking you from seeing other computers and devices on the network. Check if the Network discovery is turned on. If the network discovery setting on your computer is set to off, you
    won't see other computers and devices on the network.

Steps to Turn on network discovery.

• Press Windows key, type sharing and click on
      Manage advanced sharing settings.
    • Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option
      Turn on network discovery.
    • Try the same on all the computers connected to the network.

Method 2: If the issue still persists, run
    HomeGroup troubleshooter and check.

HomeGroup troubleshooter finds and fix problems with viewing computers or shared folders in a HomeGroup.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane and click on
      HomeGroup
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Networking between 2 computers

1. Networking between 2 computers - Similar Threads - Networking between computers

2. LAN Networking between two computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN Networking between two computers: My network between my two computers connected via a Gigabit switch does not work, I have to uninstall my ethernet connection and restart my computer to get it working and the networking falls out again when I restart the computer. Can anyone help, it's driving me crazy....
  3. Stop Syncing between 2 computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop Syncing between 2 computers: I have 2 devices using the same Microsoft username & Password. One is a desktop, and the other is a laptop. When I add or change the graphic of the Icons on the desktop of one device it syncs and changes it on the other device. I used Win 10 Pro "Sync your setting" app and...
  4. File sharing between 2 computers

File sharing between 2 computers: File sharing between 2 computers used to be easy when Homegroup was available! How do I file/folder share between 2 computers using Windows 10? If I right click on a folder> Give Access to > Homegroup is not accessible. If I select "specific people" > Add it tells me this...
  5. Unwanted data sharing between 2 computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unwanted data sharing between 2 computers: I have 2 computers 1 for school and the other for personal use when I download/put things on my desktop on my personal computer, they appear on my school computer whenever I next use it. How can I stop this from happening....
  6. Unsync Between 2 Computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unsync Between 2 Computers: I recently got a new laptop, and I already own a Windows 10 PC. I logged in using my email that was also the email for my PC, and I synced the settings. After a while of having the settings synced using OneDrive, The shortcuts I have from my PC, are now showing up on my...
  7. Network 2 Computers

Network 2 Computers: Split from this thread. Hello my name is Roland, Last time I was able to connect my 2 computer on my office table was 2 weeks ago. No hardware change, yes I added 1 new software....
  8. Ethernet connectivity between 2 computers

Ethernet connectivity between 2 computers: Problem #1 I have 2 computers running WIN 10, connected via an Ethernet crossover cable. In FILE EXPLORER [Computer] I can see both computers on one computer, and only one computer (itself) on the other. I can see both of them as MEDIA DEVICES on both of them. I have...
  9. Networking issue between 2 desktop & laptop

Networking issue between 2 desktop & laptop: So without being too hyperbolic, I'm about to die! I've spent too many hours with 0 progress and am beginning to resent pcs in general. I have 3 pcs (2 desktops and a laptop) all wired via gigabit. In short - my desktop (a) can see itself and my laptop under network,...
  10. 2 computers 2 different networks

2 computers 2 different networks: I have 2 HP Desktops that I cannot get to communicate with each other. Did not have this problem before the "Automatic" Windows 10 upgrade. The machines are identical except that 1 has Windows 10 Pro and the other Windows 10 Home. I can see both computers on the network, but...