Windows 10: Networking & File Sharing problems

Discus and support Networking & File Sharing problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've had numerous computers over the years and never have been able to get networking/file sharing to work consistently. It works one day, then not the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gramma21, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Gramma21 Win User

Networking & File Sharing problems

I've had numerous computers over the years and never have been able to get networking/file sharing to work consistently. It works one day, then not the next. One computer sees the other but the other can't see it one day, then the next day, that computer sees the other but suddenly the other doesn't see that one. Homegroups worked much better for me, but that option is gone now. I'm giving up and asking for help... again!

I have 3 laptop computers, all running Windows 10, all less than a year old, and I'm trying to network them by WiFi. They all are on private networks. They all have file folders set to share. The computer names are Gappy, Laptop & Manna. At one point or another, I have been able to access all of them through WiFi network except for Laptop, which we've had less than a month. Gappy uses Manna to access the printer and we've had no problem there.

At present, Laptop sees both Gappy, itself and Manna under "network" folder in Windows Explorer. Manna, however, cannot be accessed (I could access it the day before yesterday, but not yesterday or today) - it tells me that Manna is disconnected from the Internet. It isn't! I'm using Manna to write this right now. Gappy only sees Laptop and itself. Manna only sees itself (yesterday it didn't even see itself!)

Please help me figure out what I've done wrong throughout the years and help me get this WiFi network up and running as easily as ALL the websites try to tell me it is! Networking & File Sharing problems :)

Thanks!

Tina

:)

Gramma21, Feb 22, 2019

2. Block File sharing in Wifi network, Windows 10

Hi Lori,

As per the description, I understand that you want to block file sharing on your Wi-Fi network. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Change the view type to Large Icons.
    • Click on Network and Sharing center.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Advanced sharing center.
    • In the right pane, under Files and printer sharing, select the option:
      Turn off file and printer sharing.
    • Restart the system and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 22, 2019
  3. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 22, 2019
  4. Steve C Win User

Network Sharing File Access Problem

I've just made a breakthrough! I just tried manually enabling NetBIOS on all PCs (see below) and now each PC can see all the shared folders on every other PC. However, the net view command still gives Error 6118 - The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Networking & File Sharing problems [​IMG]

Steve C, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Networking & File Sharing problems - Similar Threads - Networking File Sharing

2. Network Sharing Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Sharing Problem: Hi, I run Windows 10. I am having a lot of problems trying to set up an network with a computer using Windows 7. There is too many problems to list here at one time so I will start with one that I don't understand. 1. When I click on a hard drive an then right click on it...
  3. Windows 10 networking/file sharing problems

Windows 10 networking/file sharing problems: I recently upgraded a couple of computers on my network that were running Windows 7 to Windows 10. I also had another computer running Windows 7 replaced with a new computer running Windows 10. I have 5 computers total on my home wired network. One computer runs Windows 10...
  4. Problems sharing files over network

Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  5. Problems sharing files over network

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  6. Network sharing problem

Network sharing problem: Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet. There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home...
  7. Network sharing problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Network sharing problem: Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet. There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home...
  8. Problem with network sharing

Problem with network sharing: Hi all, I am having a small problem with sharing files from this PC to other devices. What happens is that every time I restart the PC the other devices on the network can no longer access it's shared folders. Using the netstat /ano command I can see that port 445 is not...
  9. Network file sharing problems

Network file sharing problems: I’m having perplexing difficulty getting two Windows 10 desktop computers to share files over my network. The setup of the two computers (names OFFICE-PC and TVROOM) is entirely symmetric (same network and sharing options, same Workgroup, same HomeGroup),yet TVROOM can access...
  10. Network Sharing File Access Problem

Network Sharing File Access Problem: I've been reviewing the simple folder sharing setup on my three Windows 10 PCs. I'm trying to share folders between three computers on the same network by right clicking the folder and giving access to Everyone without using a Home Group. All computers have Windows 10 Pro (PC...