Windows 10: Networking Glitches - 2 PCs both on Ethernet, can't see each other, different network names

Discus and support Networking Glitches - 2 PCs both on Ethernet, can't see each other, different network names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need help with a rather complicated problem. Please bear with me. I run a Verizon Fios Internet router, model G-1100. I have 2 Windows 10 PCs and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeteSmith1, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Networking Glitches - 2 PCs both on Ethernet, can't see each other, different network names

I need help with a rather complicated problem. Please bear with me.

I run a Verizon Fios Internet router, model G-1100. I have 2 Windows 10 PCs and a variety of other Ethernet devices, all connected to the router (and to each other) through a Netgear unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch. I went to this setup because I needed more bandwidth than was afforded by the router's wifi. I experimented with a TP-Link Range Extender, and finally with a TP-Link Gigabit powerline adapter, to which I connected my PCs. When that proved not fast enough, I went to the Ethernet with a single CAT 6 cable from the switch to the G-1100. This all works great. Both PCs enjoy very high throughput - ~ 1 Gigabit up and down.

However... the one thing I cannot do is to share files between the two PCs. When I look at the network from the Taskbar icon on my primary computer, it says that the network is "TP-Link_DO89_5G_2", which is the name of the powerline adapter, which is no longer in service. The devices listed include a big TV, a couple of Rokus, and my printer, which is not on Ethernet, rather is still running off the router's wifi.

Note that my second PC does not show up in this list, nor do a lot of other devices. So now I go on my second PC, and look at the list of network devices it sees. It is the same list, exactly, and it does not show my primary PC either. When I click on the Ethernet icon on the Taskbar, it displays the connected network as "Smith", which was my network name before all this change happened.

One final trimming - when I access the router it displays my system in two categories - Primary Network, containing only the big TV, which is cabled by Ethernet directly to the router, one Roku (I have 2), and my printer; and another list, accessed by a "Show More" prompt, which includes ALL the rest of my devices, including both PCs.

So after all that my question is simple: how can I clean up this SNAFU, get all my PCs and devices on one network, and be able to transfer files between the PCs as needed.

:)

PeteSmith1, Oct 1, 2019

2. 1 router 2 computers 2 networks glitch

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

When you set up a PC, a HomeGroup is created automatically. If a HomeGroup already exists on your home network, you can join it.

You mentioned that both the computes are in different networks. This could be the reason why you are unable to create the homegroup. Therefore, I would suggest you to first try to add both the PC to a single network and try creating the homegroup again.

Refer the steps given below to add a device or PC to a network and check if it helps.

-Plug the PC into a hub, switch, or router and then turn it on. (If your home has Ethernet wiring and you have a jack in the room where the PC is, you can plug the PC into the Ethernet jack instead.)

To make sure you added the PC, follow these steps:

• Sign in to any PC on the network.

• Press Windows key + E to open file explorer and click "network".

• Make sure you see icons for the PC you added and for the other PCs and devices that are part of the network.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Windows 10; Network Name

Hi,

The Registry steps follower that resolved the issue.

But could you tell us why it appears to select a network status name based on your past Wi-Fi network connections, and then applies it to your wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks.

Mason

masontseng, Oct 1, 2019
  4. Hadramawt Win User

Networking Glitches - 2 PCs both on Ethernet, can't see each other, different network names

How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name?

Thanks a lot,
    Could you please take some of your precious time out to read my points #1, and point #2 posted before and understand me?

The screen shots posted in my last post were taken from while using point #1, and while using point#2.

If this 'Ever driven down a road and crossed a railroad or river' means 'bridge', I don't use any bridged connections in both points #1, and points#2 posted before.

As a result, why do I see two different connection network names in point #2(the Ethernet connection with a network name(SSID), and the WiFi connection with a different network name(SSID)).
    However, one connection network name in the point #1(the Ethernet connection and the WiFi connection with the same network name(SSID)). Bear in mind, the issue is not in the Network connection( Ethernet and WiFi). However, in the SSID. In point #1, both Ethernet and the WiFi connection have the same network name(SSID). However, in point #2, each of Ethernet connection and the WiFi connection has a different network name(SSID).

Moreover, when a person from Czech Republic looked at my second screen shot under point #2 in my last post(two separate connections), then he told me to set the wire as "home network", and set the wifi to be the same network..
    The chat made between me and that person is below:

Person: you need to join these two networks into one in windows...otherwise the mixture of it in windows can make such problems too

ME: There are two, Wireless network name, and Local Area Network name.

Person: not two, logically it is one network, bridged in router, so it is the same one like other
    might me very probably.
    Person: set the wire as "home network", and set the wifi to be the same network.. should look like this (in win7):

Networking Glitches - 2 PCs both on Ethernet, can't see each other, different network names [​IMG]

Person: I have both interfaces (wifi and wire) connected at once, windows see it as one network of home type
    Person: do this in win10 and try again, it should stay connected both.

Hadramawt, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

Networking Glitches - 2 PCs both on Ethernet, can't see each other, different network names

1. Networking Glitches - 2 PCs both on Ethernet, can't see each other, different network names - Similar Threads - Networking Glitches PCs

2. 3 PCs can see each other and access shared folders on the network and 1 can't.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3 PCs can see each other and access shared folders on the network and 1 can't.: I have a few machines on my network. They can all see and interact with each other Wifi windows 11, wired windows 10, wifi windows 10 except for my main PC wired or wifi Windows 10I have tried about anything I can find on the internet. Loads of stuff about sharing and editing...
  3. Networking problems- can't see other PCs

Networking problems- can't see other PCs: We have a home networking router Nighthawk 7000 setup with 3 PCs 2 are Win 10 Home, 1 is Win 7 Home connected with ethernet, two Win 10 Home laptops connected via wifi. Here is the current state of affairs, under Explorer>Network: The Dell Win 7 PC can see all shared...
  4. cannot see other pcs on network????

cannot see other pcs on network????: all of a sudden, i cannot see the other 2 pcs on my network, nor can they see me. i have win 10 64 home on all, all updates as of today, have made sure 2 Function services are started, and all SMB file sharing boxes are checked in windows programs and features. i even tried...
  5. Why can't networked computers see each other?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can't networked computers see each other?: I have two machines connected through an ethernet switch which is hooked to my home router. But each machine does not appear in the network folder of the other. Any idea why? Thanks. submitted by /u/HiawathaBray [link] [comments]...
  6. Some network PCs not seeing each other

Some network PCs not seeing each other: I have 5 PCs on my network, all running Windows10. Some are connected to the router by ethernet, others by wifi: it doesn't seem to matter which. A, B and C can see all 5 including themselves. Both D and E can only see B and D. What could be stopping them seeing all five?...
  7. Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other

Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other: I have a home network with 2 PCs (C & B) and 2 laptops (C & D) all running Windows 10 with latest update. Using File Explorer - Network - A can see B & self (A) B can see A & self (B) C can see A & B but not self (C) D can see A & B and self (D) but not C A can see and...
  8. PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network

PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network: Hi Our network has not been working properly for ages but we've coped. Now, however, I want to get it working as it should do. Our network comprises three PCs, our two main PCs and a spare which does get used on a regular basis. All are connected via ethernet cables and...
  9. PC'S on a Home Network Can't see each other

PC'S on a Home Network Can't see each other: I have 2 machines, 1 Windoze 7 Pro 32bit and 1 Windoze 10 Home 64 bit both wire connected to the same router. No matter what I do, the machines can't see each other. That includes all the sharing options, advanced, etc. All Allows are checked and I have admin rights on both...
  10. Can't see inside other PCs on network

Can't see inside other PCs on network: I posted this originally in the Insiders section --but got no response -- so I'm reposting it here. I have a Win8.1 PC that I use as a file server, so I regularly connect to it, using "tried and true" accessing techniques that have worked fine for years. I set up the...