Windows 10: Networking Gurus -- 4 computers - better via Wifi or use LAN bridge

Discus and support Networking Gurus -- 4 computers - better via Wifi or use LAN bridge in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there seems difficult to find a decent answer to this - but say you have 4 laptop users on your local LAN - is it better for throughput to just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Oct 23, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Networking Gurus -- 4 computers - better via Wifi or use LAN bridge

Hi there

seems difficult to find a decent answer to this - but say you have 4 laptop users on your local LAN - is it better for throughput to just let them use wifi cards in their computers or connect the 4 computers to a fast router used as an ethernet-->wifi bridge.

The Bridge method seems to give more throughput - obviously people transferring several GB sized files over this type of arrangement will kill it but this happens very rarely.

The advantage of the Bridge also allows the computers that can't handle 5GHZ wifi to be connected to the router using 5GHZ and a router is generally full duplex while wifi cards --certainly the cheaper end of the market are generally half duplex.

Full blown LAN is obviously the best but I can't run loads of 1Gib/s Lan cable all over the place.

very difficult to get any serious info on this without going up into the hideously expensive world of Enterprise gear used by large server farms etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 23, 2016
  2. cahsolo Win User

Network bridge does not work in windows 10

I was using laptop1 with Win 8 with wifi connection to bridge to another laptop2 via LAN (network bridge), and it was working properly.

Now laptop1 is upgraded to Win 10, however the network bridge doesn't work anymore.

Tried to disconnect and recreate the bridge, but still fail.

How to solve this issue?

Do I need to roll back to Win 8?

cahsolo, Oct 23, 2016
  3. cahsolo Win User
    Network bridge does not work in windows 10

hi Kiran.

laptop1 is connected via wifi to router.

laptop2 is connected via LAN cable to laptop1.

Then I created the network bridge between ethernet and wifi at laptop1.

Up to this point, previously (win8), laptop2 is able to access internet.

However, now (win10), laptop2 is unable to access internet.

============================================

Now I tried to run the Troubleshooter but the result is "couldn't identify the problem".

What can I do next?

cahsolo, Oct 23, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

Hi jimbo45,
    In a 1Gbps LAN the transfer speed will be 125MB/s, in full-duplex , both ends will achieve that speed.
    When sending from LAN to WLAN, the speed will be cut down by the RTS/CTS protocol and both ends will have the speed that WLAN allows. WLAN 866Mbps will allow a max of 72MB/s.

Regarding the Bridge, Bridging means that you putting 2 or more IP Segments together, so you allow LAN and WLAN to communicate between them, without that it would not be possible to send files from 1 PC in LAN and to another on WLAN.
    Bridging does not mean that the information is being sendet simultaneously in both Channels at the same time. That would be called "Channel Bundling" and so far I know it was possible with certain Phone Lines, putting Channel A together with Channel B was doubling speed.
    So, regarding costs and speed, LAN has advantage over WLAN.

Adalwar, Oct 23, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    You know my setup in what I am doing on my network. The only thing I have wired is the Synology NAS. If I decide to put back online the Pi's or desktops that I use for servers for testing, those go wired at the gear downstairs.

I am running Wireless-ac with a Engenius EAP1750H The Windows 10 laptop and my Macbook are showing 867mbps connection to the A/P.

I have six runs of Cat-5e in my house. Only using four of them at this time. Two for the A/P's and one for the Channel Master OTA tuner, the other for the NVidia shield. It came out around 200' when I pulled those lines.

If I switch to my Engenius ECB350 and walk about 150 feet from my house, I still get close to 8mbps down with Wireless-n.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Networking Gurus -- 4 computers - better via Wifi or use LAN bridge - Similar Threads - Networking Gurus computers

2. PC connected via Lan and Phone connected via Wifi not in the same network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC connected via Lan and Phone connected via Wifi not in the same network.: I have my PC connected via Lan Cable and my phone connected via Wifi. Remote file access to my phone does not work and the error says that my phone is not connected on the network. I also have the similar error using Window's Phone link. Can you help me resolve this so that I...
  3. PC connected via Lan and Phone connected via Wifi not in the same network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC connected via Lan and Phone connected via Wifi not in the same network.: I have my PC connected via Lan Cable and my phone connected via Wifi. Remote file access to my phone does not work and the error says that my phone is not connected on the network. I also have the similar error using Window's Phone link. Can you help me resolve this so that I...
  4. PC connected via Lan and Phone connected via Wifi not in the same network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. WSL2 Bridge connection to LAN.

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSL2 Bridge connection to LAN.: Installed WSL2 and I want it to get DHCP from my LAN. I do not want an internal of private network or port forwarding.It always gets an IP in the 172... range. After reboot it all seems to reset itself. aI've tried changing the vEthernet WSL adapter to External network in the...
  6. Hamachi and LAN network bridges?

Hamachi and LAN network bridges?: Hello, I've recently come up with an idea. I just don't know yet if it would work that way. My idea is to connect my laptop (win10) via LAN with another PC(WinXP). On my laptop I wanted to bridge/connect LAN and Hamachi. A friend would then do the same or through a...
  7. Issues with sharing internet via Network Bridge

Issues with sharing internet via Network Bridge: Hi all, My requirement: Share WiFi internet on my laptop to my desktop via Ethernet cable both Windows 10. Current method: Network Bridge in Win 10. Problem: I can get internet access on desktop via above method but after a random time period, the WiFi adapter on...
  8. LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge)

LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge): Hi there I don't like a load of LAN cables everywhere and "She who must be obeyed" was complaining about number of boxes / gadgets / flashing lights etc under the TV !!!!!! so I've moved the two servers out of the way and just have the cable box/ main router. so this I...
  9. Wifi vs ethernet-->wifi Bridge using router - MUCH FASTER with Bridge

Wifi vs ethernet-->wifi Bridge using router - MUCH FASTER with Bridge: Hi there If you've a spare / old router which you can set up as a wifi bridge and connect a bit of LAN cable from Laptop into the Bridge router you'll generally get FAR better performance from even a cheap router. Logic behind this is that most Wifi adapters are half...
  10. LAN to WIFI (Not via USB) SOLVED

LAN to WIFI (Not via USB) SOLVED: Hi there. Any Network Gurus here that might know whether this is possible. I'm trying to get rid of loads of cabling and have very fast wifi already. Is it possible without using a Pci-e wifi card to get a device that plugs into a LAN slot and then acts as a Wifi...