Windows 10: networking -- identifying devices

Discus and support networking -- identifying devices in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to network two computers. Let's call them A and B. In File Explorer in Computer A, Computer B shows up as a "media device." Whatever that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Brian Newport, Mar 3, 2020.

1. networking -- identifying devices

I am trying to network two computers. Let's call them A and B. In File Explorer in Computer A, Computer B shows up as a "media device." Whatever that is. How can I make Computer B show up as a "computer," instead of as a "media device?" Bonus question: I tried to connect to my new smart TV wirelessly. It won't connect after a couple of hours with wonderful online support from Samsung. On the TV, Computer A shows up as a "media device."

How can I get computers to appear on the network as computers, and not as "media devices?"

:)

Brian Newport, Mar 3, 2020

2. Printer Network Bridge Not Identifying Computer

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for the update on the issue.

If issue persists, then try the steps provided below and see if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to try running Printer troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Printer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

Method 2: Change permissions

I would suggest you to check if the user account has permission to print and manage the printer. Refer these steps:

a) Press Windows key +C, select control panel

b) Under Hardware and devices, select view devices and printers

c) Locate your printer and right click

d) Click on the Printer properties from the menu and select security tab

e) Select your user account name from the list of user accounts

f) Make sure that all the check boxes against the permissions are marked as “Allow”.

If the permission is already set as “allow”, then this could be a network setting issue. Check if your account is configured correctly to the network and check the network options.

Method 3: Re-install the printer

If the permission settings and the network settings are set correctly and yet you are facing this issue, I would suggest uninstall and re-install the printer and check. You can follow the steps provided below to do so:

Note: Please make sure that you have the setup file for the driver of the printer before uninstalling the current version.

a) Press Windows and x key together and click on Device Manager.

b) Locate the printer driver and expand the driver icon.

c) Right click on the driver icon and click on Uninstall.

d) Follow the onscreen instructions to uninstall the driver.

e) Locate the setup file of the driver for the printer.

f) Double Click on the setup file and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall the driver.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Mar 3, 2020
  3. network identifies on every bootup

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us when exactly do you receive this notification (Startup screen/ trying to connect to internet).

As this issue have occurred after upgrading the network driver, I suggest you to uninstall the driver and check if the issue persists.

To uninstall drivers, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + x key on your keyboard.

• Select Device manger.

• Expand Network adapters. Right-click on the device and click
      Uninstall.

• Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 3, 2020
  4. Gino Des Win User

networking -- identifying devices

Issues with network adapters

Hi Alfonso,

To resolve this issue, we suggest that you run the Network troubleshooter when you switch from WiFi to Ethernet connection. The Network troubleshooter can help diagnose and fix common connection problems including clearing the network cache to obtain a new
    IP from the new network. Kindly follow the steps below:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Identify and repair network problems, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If the issue persists, kindly try the troubleshooting steps on the following link:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

We recommend that you try the steps on the Update the network adapter driver,
    Run the Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands, and Use network reset to reinstall network devices sections.

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

networking -- identifying devices

1. networking -- identifying devices - Similar Threads - networking identifying devices

2. Network name stuck on "Identifying..."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network name stuck on "Identifying...": I have been experiencing unstable internet connection issues in my PC. It seems to be fine when I connect to other networks; but whenever I connect to our home wi-fi, the network name is stuck on "Identifying..." and it gets cut several times, which was not the case before....
  3. Ethernet says "Network is not identified"

Ethernet says "Network is not identified": Hello everybody I'm currently having problems with my ethernet. It says "Network is not identified" and I have tried everything I could find on google to fix it, even reinstalling windows didn't help. It happened right after I ran a spoofer program don't ask why. I have...
  4. Identifying network...

Identifying network...: Hello everyone My laptop automatically updated recently April 4th and when it restarted i noticed that i don't have an internet connection. So the first thing I did was to uninstall the latest update i think it was Kb4549951 but nothing changed. Then i used the restore...
  5. Windows can't identify network

Windows can't identify network: My computer used to have frequent blue screen errors, I tried many fixes but nothing worked so I decided to reset my PC I kept my personal files. When the reset was done I could access Microsoft Edge without problems but the internet button has the "no internet connection"...
  6. Problems identifying network devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problems identifying network devices: Hello, I would like to understand why suddenly the file explorer seems to manage the network node differently. For some time nothing is visible under the network node (see figure below), although we have several computers and printers on the network. They appeared earlier...
  7. No Other Devices Identified in Network?

No Other Devices Identified in Network?: Hi All, Any thoughts as to why my neighbors TV is showing on my PC devices as a "Display". I understand the Microsoft Wifi-Direct Principles and how to turn off, but I am on a LAN not Wireless and the virtual adapter is not present! If I can see their media devices, I am...
  8. Other Devices Identified in Network?

in Windows 10 Support
    Other Devices Identified in Network?: Hi All, Any thoughts as to why my neighbors TV is showing on my PC devices as a "Display". I understand the Microsoft Wifi-Direct Principles and how to turn off, but I am on a LAN not Wireless and the virtual adapter is not present! If I can see their media devices, I am...
  9. identify unknown device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    identify unknown device: hi, I performed a fresh install of w10 on my sisters HP DV6 laptop, everything works but device manager shows 1 unknown device, is there anyway to find out what it is, I've installed all the drivers from the manufacturer 66351
  10. network identifying

network identifying: so i just installed a new network driver and when i boot up afterwards the connection will say identifying for nearly 30seconds before i actually get a connection. ive tried reinstalling the driver but to awe 25719