Windows 10: Networking issue between 2 desktop & laptop

Discus and support Networking issue between 2 desktop & laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So without being too hyperbolic, I'm about to die! I've spent too many hours with 0 progress and am beginning to resent pcs in general. I have 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Aug 10, 2016.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Networking issue between 2 desktop & laptop

So without being too hyperbolic, I'm about to die!

I've spent too many hours with 0 progress and am beginning to resent pcs in general.

I have 3 pcs (2 desktops and a laptop) all wired via gigabit.

In short - my desktop (a) can see itself and my laptop under network, but not the other desktop (b).

My laptop can see itself and my desktop (a) but not the other desktop (b)

My other desktop (b) can't see itself, but can see my desktop (a) and my laptop.

All I've come up with so far is the miserable reformatting of my desktop that presumably is the key to the issue (b).

A few things happened after such that may point you networking geniuses in the right direction.

A) it showed up on the network immediately after a fresh Windows install.

B) it disappeared after I changed the name.

C) I got it to show up spontaneously after a full shutdown (not restart) but may have been coincidence.

What happened next was this - upon restarting either the laptop or desktop (a) it continued to see itself and the others continued to see it. After restarting desktop (b) itself - it once again no longer saw itself nor did the others see it.

Further shutdowns/restarts were fruitless. Also rebooted both router and switch.

I'm at a loss, yet ocd enough to not move forward with anything until I fix this.

Learn me sum networking101!

:)

klepp0906, Aug 10, 2016

2. Why won't all my computers show on the same network? Can't share folders...

I am trying to share folders between a laptop and a desktop. I don't know how to get them on the same network. One is linked to the internet via WiFi and the other, an Ethernet chord. They used to be able to share folders between the two until we got a
    new desktop computer. Now I can't figure out how to get them on the same network - when I go into network on the DESKTOP, I see my laptop under OTHER DEVICES but it says NOT CONNECTED. Anyone have any ideas on how to get these computers on the same network?

Renovation House Spencer, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Network Computer--Can't find them all

I did get one response that partially answered my question. It had to do with the stability of the WI-FI connection between my desktop and my laptop. However, it did not actually answer my question:

When I click on NETWORK in File Explorer on the Desktop, I see both PCs--the laptop and the desktop

When I click on NETWORK in File Explorer on the Laptop, I can see only the laptop.

Both PCs should show up on both PCs and I don't understand thy they don't.

The Desktop is connected to the network via Ethernet.

The Laptop is connected to the network via WI-FI

DennisCeleschi, Aug 10, 2016
  4. klepp0906 Win User

Oh I forgot to add, they can see plex media server if it is running on the desktop (b) and if I type in the address they can reach the Desktop (b) and browse it just fine.

Simply nothing shows in explorer *Sad

klepp0906, Aug 10, 2016
  5. Just give it a try..
    Reboot in safe mode with networking with one of the non working PCs and see if you are able to see it now on other computer.

manish9009, Aug 10, 2016
  6. klepp0906 Win User
    Okay will try safe mode and see what happens. Will report back!

klepp0906, Aug 10, 2016
  7. klepp0906 Win User
    In safe mode with networking nothing shows up on any of the pcs

klepp0906, Aug 10, 2016
  8. klepp0906 Win User

Okay I have some new info which is odd and I'm not sure if it's relevant or not.

1) desktop A and desktop B can ping one another.

2) desktop A and desktop B cannot ping the laptop

3) laptop can ping desktop A and desktop B

4) both desktops are on the newest version of win10 - the laptop is on a slightly older version of win10.

5) to reiterate, nobody can see desktop B in file explorer but if navigated to via address it can be browsed.

Hope this helps...

klepp0906, Aug 10, 2016
  9. klepp0906 Win User
    Also when I do a net view via cmd i get an error 6118 if that helps?

klepp0906, Aug 10, 2016
  10. Sheeee What a mess.......
    Change Network location to Private in place of public and see if that helps.
    1. try disabling the firewall and see if that helps.
    2. Try to create a homegroup on desktop and see if other computers can connect with it.
    3. In your router try to reserve IP addresses for all 3 of your computers and see if that Helps.

manish9009, Aug 10, 2016
  11. Samuria Win User
    Have they all got the same IP range and subnet is all on 192.168.1.? Are you using home group or normal network? Open a cmd prompt on one of type ipconfig /all then post results

Samuria, Aug 10, 2016
  12. klepp0906 Win User
    I'll learn my lesson eventually.

After dumping all pcs and doing my main pc last, somehow it was the culprit. A product of a "remove telemetry" app that removed the browser service completely.

Jesus I'm decidedly going much more conservative this time. I'm exhausted with reformatting

Now the only issue is I changed a pc name when I reformatted and the old name as well as new name is showing up in network.

I can't seem to win.

klepp0906, Aug 11, 2016
  13. Networking issue between 2 desktop & laptop

OLD NAME IS STILL THERE

klepp0906My Bro .. Do these advance steps.. *Cool
    RESTART YOUR ROUTER MODEM.*chuckle

manish9009, Aug 11, 2016
  14. klepp0906 Win User
    Well I give up/concede now.

I just spent a buncha time with my nephew relieved in that it's sorted. Came back and restarted the computers to be sure.

Again - no desktop (b) in the laptop or the main desktop.

What on earth could be causing this? They're ALL freshly formatted with nothing done but being assigned name/workgroup, having sharing enabled, and having defender disabled.

That's all, that's it.

All on anniversary win10 x64 enterprise.

Ugh

klepp0906, Aug 11, 2016
  15. klepp0906 Win User

Hey bud, thanks for the suggestion (which I'm sure would have worked!)

An ipconfig /flushdns
    Ipconfig /registerdns

Worked and fixed it for me. Other problems with the second desktop prevail at random however. Close to just using homegroup >.>

klepp0906, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Networking issue between 2 desktop & laptop - Similar Threads - Networking issue between

2. Networking 2 laptops

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking 2 laptops: So I have been using walkthoughs this past 2 days to try and connect 2 laptops I have next to each other. I am trying both Wirelessly and through Ethernet. Nothing I do seems to work, when I do finally get them to see each other then they are asking for Network Credentials...
  3. Networking between 2 computers

Networking between 2 computers: Windows version number desktop - 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685) , Laptop 1909 (OS Build 18363.1256) Hi Everyone, I have 2 computers (next to each other), one is a desktop, one is a laptop, both running windows 10. I want to connect them together using the network. When I...
  4. Network connection issues on Microsoft Surface Laptop 2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network connection issues on Microsoft Surface Laptop 2: I'll try and explain this as best I can. Hopefully I'm posting in the right spot. What I'm working with: Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 (Love it) Windows 10 Home ISP - RCN with Arris high speed modem/router but the router part is disabled because its connected to an Eero and...
  5. Switch laptops between desktops?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switch laptops between desktops?: With Windows 10 there is the possibility to switch between "desktops". So not different monitors, but virtual desktops to work structured. Now I have the problem that if I start an application in Desktop 1 (e.g. Discord) and then swap to Desktop 2 before Discord has fully...
  6. Windows 10 trying to establish a network between laptop and desktop

Windows 10 trying to establish a network between laptop and desktop: I have a Dell Desktop with Windows 10 version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Ethernet to Modem/Router I have a Dell Laptop with windows 10 version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 wireless to Modem/Router I have them networked, but I cannot connect them because I don't have Network...
  7. no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop

no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop: I have a HP desktop that has a private network set up, and it's connected to the router via cable. I also have a Dell laptop with a private network set up, and it's connected to the router via Wifi. Both are running Windows 10. However neither can "see" the other's...
  8. Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network: All computers set for full network sharing. Laptop has access to internet through network and network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networked-laptop-not-discoverable-by-2-desktop-pcs/5f811814-77a9-4028-842d-e8bc6069e86b
  9. Network sharing, visibility issues between PC, laptop and router

Network sharing, visibility issues between PC, laptop and router: Hello all, Seem to have an odd problem between my PC running Win 10 x64 1803, my laptop running Win 10 x64 1803 and my TP Link AC3200 tri-band router. I currently have a 6TB WD external hooked up to the USB 3.0 port on the back of the AC3200, my laptop can see it just fine...
  10. Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop

Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop: Hi Guys, This issues has been driving me nuts since the 1703 Creators Update. I've searched the web and tried pretty much everything to fix it with no luck. So I let it slide until now. I've finally decided to raise the issue here to see if the greatest minds in the...